Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LBL; Breast Lift/Reduction - 10/30/08- yippee! yikes!

Marjorie, I did not realize you were in Houston and that your lapband doctor was Spivak. That's who did my lap band as well.

How much total weight did you lose? How long after your weight loss did you start the PS process? Did the LBL include TT and muscle tightening? Finally, how much did it cost?

Marjorie: Congratulations that you can now sit! It's wonderful to hit these goal markers and realize that "Hey, I am going to get back to normal, one of these days!" Yeah! Does the fat necrosis on your breast work itself out? Or is it a problem from here on out?

Marjorie, I did not realize you were in Houston and that your lapband doctor was Spivak. That's who did my lap band as well.

How much total weight did you lose? How long after your weight loss did you start the PS process? Did the LBL include TT and muscle tightening? Finally, how much did it cost?

Hi Donna- I weighed over 300 lbs for more than 5-10 years. My peak weight was 340 and I was down more than 140 when I met my surgeon. I waited until my weight was stable more than 6 months before making my appt. My band was placed in 5/07 and I lost 100 lbs by Jan 08; some weight was lost pre band. I still need to lose about 20 lbs- I wasn't sure until I got this flab cut off. I'll wait until about 2-3 months post op to be sure. I really am ok where I am and part of why I did the surgery now was to figure out what I looked like without all that extra stuff. When my weight dropped 10 lbs below where I am now, I was incredibly bony on my upper body so I wanted to see what things looked like and then decide from there. Everyone is different but most PS like their pts to be stable (weight wise) for at least 6 mos to 1 year before doing surgery. When you get within 20 lbs of your "goal" then I think that would be a good time to see some PS. Definitely visit with Dr LoMonaco. When I went for my post op visit- there was a woman there who had a brachioplasty (arm lift) 2 months ago- her scars were BEAUTIFUL! It renewed my interest in that surgery.

Cost- my surgeon fee's were more than 15k. Hospital etc were more than that. costs change based upon market, hospital etc. Plan way ahead.

good luck!

Marjorie: Congratulations that you can now sit! It's wonderful to hit these goal markers and realize that "Hey, I am going to get back to normal, one of these days!" Yeah! Does the fat necrosis on your breast work itself out? Or is it a problem from here on out?

today I think I pushed it a bit much :( went out 2 times and am sore and ready for a nap. The fat necrosis is variable. He seemed to indicate it would resove in a year or so. I'm a breast medical oncologist (give chemo for breast cancer) and have a lot of patients who have developed fat necrosis and my impression is that the most of the time it stays. I'm no expert in that though :)

Hope you are doing well! Been a while since I checked in but it seems you are doing great.

Hi Karen- things are going well. I do feel stronger daily- I really miss exercise and feel like I could go out and run/walk but even though I feel that way, being up an hour or so wears me out! Baby steps!

I haven't taken pain meds in over 24 hours excluding some tylenol so think I'm doing well for being 1 week out.

happy weekend all!

Marjorie: You are doing fantastic and I love that you shared some of your weight loss journery. Wow, but you've come a long ways baby! I love my arms and don't mind the scars as much as I thought I would. I'll post pictures in a few weeks probably so you can see. It's not a bad recovery, except for the first few days, but not that much pain. Anyway, glad your recovery is going smoothyly!

Thank you Marjorie for answering all my questions. When I reread my post I thought "Wow, how incredibly rude of me!" I guess sometimes in an online forum and especially in one like this where we are here to share and support, we can (I can) cross the line.

So I'm a bit grumpy- have had an infection of the open area near my drain site as well as my right breast. The right breast still hurts from the fat necrosis and started to drain. Add to that, I now have 2 sizable seromas- grumpy city. Right now I'm frustrated with the surgery and am wondering why I put myself through this.

bah.

Marjorie: Glad you posted your frustrations. People need to know that sometimes there are complications and that it sucks! Plus, now we can give you our condolences. So sorry you have to go through this. I know it's the pits! It will get better, I promise! I hate having patience and I bet you do too! I want to be all better today! Everyday gets better for me and it will for you to. Do you have to go in and have the seromas drained? Are you back on antibiotics? How is he having you take care of yourself? I could tell you to try and look on the bright side, but I know how hard that can be. I guess, just hang in there!

I'm sorry you're feeling grumpy. Hang in there, you know when this passes you'll have perky boobs (excuse the crudeness) and that will make it all better.

Hey Marjorie,

Sorry you're having a rough time. You have a reason to be grumpy. Sending you some prayers to get better real soon. Hang in there, sweetie. Things will look up.

Sam

Focus on the future! You'll overcome these obstacles and probably won't even remember them a few years from now. Make sure you give your body all the good nutrition and rest it needs. It's been through a LOT. Tell that body how PROUD you are for all it has done and how you are going to give it the BEST of treatment in the years to come. Hang in there.