Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 months post op, just need a little help & support

Hi all,

I was banded in June '08. The road has been a little bumpy since my surgery. It started with an infected incision, then my first kidney stone followed by a nice dose of the flu. So I didn't have my first fill until mid September. But I have still managed to lose 32lbs! So I am thrilled.

The problem is that for the last month I have been eating terribly and I can't seem to get back on the wagon. I was doing so good and then some days I could eat something and then the next day I couldn't. And when I say couldn't I mean I was in the bathroom vomiting. So after a while I started seeking other foods that were easier to go down. And I have found them, in the form of ice cream, nachos, more ice cream and anything else that isn't good for you. I have finally had my second fill and am still finding it hard to make good food choices. I haven't gained any weight back, but I'm not losing anymore. Because of all of the illnesses since the surgery my exercise has been few and far between.

I guess I'm just starting to get a little bit down and mad at myself that I have been given this opportunity and am starting to blow it. I just can't seem to get back on track. I'm starting to get depressed again, no energy etc.

Ok, I guess I've bored everyone enough, if you stayed around long enough to read this, thanks!

Hey after two and a half months I am also cheating a bit, but still losing weight. I do find if I eat a bit too much I will try to make it up the next day. This week I plan to really really concentrate. I have a big Halloween party next Sunday. And I have this very cute witch costume and it looks great on me. But I would like at least 3 more pounds gone by then.

Dieting in the warmer weather isn't hard for me but come fall and winter...I get that carb craving things really bad. Stews and Soups and bread and Pasta oh my.......I just don't eat a lot of it. Small bowls and one tiny piece of bread and ohly 1/2 cup of Pasta. It will satisfy me and the band keeps me from overeating.

Just take it one day at a time. Maybe you need a fill.

what i try to do to get back on track is start from scratch. remember how we never thought we'd make it thru the liquid/mushie stage but our bodies adapted to it.

i go back to the beginning and only have Protein drinks for a few day and then add in the mushies for a few days to get the body back on track.

you can do it!

We do have to understand this is a lifetime commitment and we are bound to get off track occasionally. Just have to curb the weight gain or no weight loss before it gets too big. Losing one or two pounds is a lot easier than losing 20,30, or 40. Just don't beat ourselves up over it. Learn from your mistakes.

I know the holidays are coming, I won't give up that much. No pie or cake. But a spoonful of everything (small spoon) and white meat turkey and defat the gravy first. Can enjoy the meal and still not gain weight.

Hey Starting Over!

I was also banded in June 2008 (06/30/08) I have only lost 30 lbs so far and I have been on a roller coaster of emotions and good and bad eating habits right along with you! I didn't get my first fill until 10/14/08. Before that date I was able to eat anything at all, no restriction, nothing stopping me but that voice in the back of my head asking me "Now why are you eating all of that? You got the Lap Band to lose weight and you won't ever do it if you keep eating like that" I have had my first fill and I dont have the sweet spot yet, but I do have some restriction, not total restriction, but I find myself wanting to go into next summer without having to dread being Hot(Temperature) & Fat(Overweight), I want to be Hot(Sexy) and Phat(pretty Hot and Temptng). So I decided to use what restriction I have the best way I can and put forth all my effort into making better food choices. Now as far as the exercise goes, you have to start somewhere right? So why not just get up and walk around the block, just once, then the next day do it twice, and so on and so on. You will build up your stamina and feel motivated to do even more exercise! Did you also talk with your doc about what was causing you to throw up? Don't give up and don't give in! Were all right here with you and for you!

remember guys/gals go tot he support group meetings. they help you out alot. it has helped me in times in need.

Thanks to all that responded. I think it helped me by just writing (typing!) it down. It made it real to me that I needed to get back on track. Since the day after I posted I have been doing much better with my eating. As a matter of fact, I've done really good. NO MORE ICE CREAM!!! The scale will move, in the down direction!!! :grouphug:

Something to consider - is your band too tight? Maybe your fill was too much. If you are having a hard time eating healthy foods this is definately something to think about - even the tiniest bit removed might make a big difference in terms of what you can eat.