Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone NOT LOSE their hair?

I am freaking out with all the posts regarding Hair loss after surgery! My surgery is scheduled for Nov. 18th. Has anyone had their surgery and NOT lost their hair? If yes, what do you think you did that helped you maintain your hair? Is there anything that anyone would recommend doing BEFORE surgery to help PREVENT hair loss? And AFTER surgery to help prevent hair loss? Your posts are greatly appreciated!!!

Lisa I would recommend talking to your doctor about the hair loss.. You dont really loose all your hair it just thins out..I have heard if you take B12 then is lessens the amount of hair thinning.. it only last for about a month or son and then it will grow back.. Anyways that is about all I know mine has not started thinning yet so we will see what happens... good luck

You know it grows back, right? I'm losing mine a little so I can't help you except to reassure you it won't stay lost. Many swear by supplements but my surgeon says he thinks it's just the trauma of the surgery and it always grows back. I'm sorry you're so worried about it; wish I could help!

And yes, as Meschultz says, it just thins some. My hairdresser can't even tell and she's a pro who's been doing my hair for years. It really isn't bad.

My doctor told me that as long as I maintain (or even go over) my required daily Protein requirement that I wouldn't have to worry about it... if you really have major concerns you should speak to your doctor and ask what you can do to keep this from happening...

Best of luck on your upcoming surgery! :w00t:

Renee'

p.s. make sure you are doing your Vitamins also if the doctor tells you to take them

I had surgery in June, just four short months ago and have not yet experienced any hair loss. I hope its because I try very hard every day to get 70 - 90 grams of Protein a day or I may just be lucky.... I have very thick hair and every time I go to get my hair cut I ask the stylist if it looks any thinner, to which she always replies "I can only hope!" She takes thinning shears to my hair quite frequently.

I was worried though becuase when my mom had her right hip replaced for the second time, she started losing her hair. Maybe it was due to the complications she had with her surgery.

Good luck with your journey!!

I've always had enough or gone over on Protein, Vitamins and supplements per doc from day 1, plenty of Water and sleep each day, exercise, and mine's still thinning.

Hey this is a great post - I am a hairstylist and recent bander 8-12-08 am down 25 lbs and feel great have not experienced Hair loss of any kind In addition a few of my clients also had surgery and i havent noticed any change in thier hair either

good luck

I don't know if it's something special about Lap Band surgery...I had foot surgery in April (5.5 hours in surgery, 4 months in recovery at home), and didn't notice any hair loss at all. Perhaps it's because Lap Band surgery is at the core of the body, not an extremity like my foot, I don't know. I know I gained 20 pounds just sitting around for 4 months! That part wasn't fun. But I'm having the Lap Band this Monday, the 20th, at 8am. I think I'm looking forward to it...more looking forward to it being done and getting on with my life. Anyway, if I notice thinning hair, I'll post it as an effect of the surgery.

A little bit of thinning hair is a small loss compared to the thinning of the body and improvement in health in general, though. :w00t:

I had my LapBand surgery on 9-3-08 and was also freaked out about losing hair. I didn't even hear that this was possible until after I started coming to this message board. My surgeon never even mentioned it. But I was consistant in drinking the Protein Shakes until I could eat solid food again, about four weeks after surgery. I still drink them if I need a quick meal and don't have time to eat. My hair is long, to my waist, and I haven't noticed any thing different. Thank Goodness!!! I still keep an eye on it, though. I think if it was going to happen, it probably would have by now.

Good luck- I just had my surgery on Thursday, Oct.16th. I freaked myself out for nothing. Its now Sunday and I feel pretty good, except I'm sore, more on my left side and a little swollen and bloated. I just had a small cup of coffee and sipping it slow. Today I woke up feeling a little full. Normally I wake up and want to eat right away. I worry about losing my hair, because my hair is average and not thick to begin with. The only thing that makes me feel better is that it grows back. Dont worry. It will be ok and we will move on and feel better. Just watch how fas the months will fly and this will all be behind us.. I feel like Oct.16th was my birthday. You'll feel the same way. Good luck!!!

At my pre-op class & 3 month check up/seminar they talked about it. Said it usually starts around 3 months & ends about 9 months. Meeting the Protein and Water requirements is helpful. They suggested a few OTC Vitamins (Biotin maybe) & some shampoos that can be bought at Walgreens or from a stylist. For me, I see extra shedding espcially when shampooing/conditioning. But I see it as short term & a small price to pay. Good Luck!

I haven't been banded yet, but Hair loss is not something I'm looking forward to since I already have thin hair. I've been jotting down the recommendations made to minimize the hair loss. I'm also taking a food supplement for fine fragile thinning hair called VitaTress recommended by my beautician. It contain 300mg Bioxin.LOL