Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Husband has problem with tattoos

Ok so I've always LOVED tattoos, I have 3 currently but want more. My husband of 8 years has none. I don't care about how many he has or doesn't have and have never pressured him to get ANY. I have told him that I plan on getting more and especially when I lose weight. I have no plans on sleeving out my arms or anything that drastic but he is still being sort of a butt about it. He doesn't like "a lot of tattoos" as he says. So I'm a very independent person and told him like it or not I'm getting them because it's my body/my life. I was wondering what you all thought? Just in case you are wondering I'm planning on getting 1) butterflies on my left ankle 2) skulls w/crossbones on my hips 3) very small star spray behind my left ear 4) music lyrics that will represent my journey through life in the small of my back. So-opinions, suggestions?

Hmmmmmm, not being a fan of tattoos myself its easy for me to say, no I wouldnt get them.

But its easy to extrapolate and say how I would feel if DH made comments about other aspects of my appearance. If he didnt like something I had on or if he hated my hair cut and said so or if he asked me to get big plastic boobies and long blonde hair extensions, I think I would tell him to shove it where the sun don't shine.

So yeah, if YOU want them, its YOUR choice. Get them and enjoy them, husbands/boyfriends/significant others need to learn that you dont do everything for them, some things you do for yourself.

I've had a recent desire to get a fairy tatoo on my butt. I've never had one before, and I'm "older". Not a tramp stamp, but a small one near my hip. Just to mark this milestone in my life. My husband is a dyed in the wool conservative, and would literally have a stroke if I did it. My best girlfriend, who's a cop, has offered to take me, and is encouraging me to do so. (She has a very pretty Asian tramp stamp) I'm so torn on whether to do it or not, so I'm in the same boat you are. My question is: Is it worth it to start a row in my household over it? It will definately cause an arguement, and I don't want that. So I keep putting it off. He doesn't have any tats either, but WAY back in the day he used to sport a pony tail and a fluer de lis earring. Should I ask?

Well as I have 11 or is it 13 ... I forget .. anyways ... When my hubby and I married he knew I was no where near finished with my tattoos. I have a back piece, stomach piece working on two quarter sleeves. When I finish losing the weight I plan on getting a full thigh piece. The hubby is tres cool with it. He is no where as near tattooed as I am but he thinks my ink is cool and tasteful as it is all my design. You will find nothing on my body on the standard wall templates in any tattoo shop.

By virtue of the fact that you asked, that suggests you aren't 100% committed to the idea. So for that reason alone I would NOT do it. When you don't question it, then do it if you still wish to.

Your body, your decision.

As the saying goes..."Think before you ink." I have 2 tattoos. One a rebellious pre divorce, "i'll do what the hell I want" one, which I now really kindof regret, it's Winnie the Pooh, and a memorial tattoo on my ankle, memorializing my mother who passed away 607. that one is for keeps.

So go with your heart, and as one who has worked in a nursing home, it wouldn't hurt to stop and think about what it will look like when you are of geriatric age, wrinkled and tucking the boobs into the tube socks.:smile: Things sag and go south everywhere- buyer beware!!

That's what stopped me from getting tatoos. When I was younger I said I would at least get one, but the older I got and started noticing the changes in my body I would think about being old with these tatoos on my body. I started seeing young ladies with tatoos on their breast and I thought to myself...Do you really want to be 80 (GOD willing) with strawberries on your chest, or a butterfly tatoo on the small of your back near the crack of your ass like the one my sister had done. Those thoughts along keeps me from getting a tatoo. But I do believe to each his own. So if its for you than do your thing. Please be careful of getting names especially of your significant other tatoo on your body. My sister has her soon to be ex-husband's name tatoo on her arm as big as day. I can't imagine how that makes her new man feel everytime he looks at that...just thought I throw that out at you. :smile:

Edited by Melolo

Melolo has a great point regarding tattooing names on your bod. My theory is, if they didn't bring me into this world, or if I didnt bring them into this world, their name isn't going to be a fixture on my body. :cool:You never know what the future holds. :smile:

I have 9 tattoos. The majority of them, if i had it to do over or if i could afford the treatments, i wouldnt have. I was young and didn't think this far ahead. I like the idea of the ones I got, i think the only thing i would really change is removing the one from my hand and my breast, only because of first impressions and one of them on my ankle should have been done with single needle instead of 3 needle.

However, it sounds as if this is something you've spoken to him before regarding, i'm sure in other conversations you didn't keep the fact of wanting more from him. It's not like you are changing who you are nor are you pressuring him to get them.

I believe if I were you, I would discuss it with him, as I'm sure you have. Point out that they are not obviously apparent tattoos, you arent getting anything as insane as a huge pot leaf on your forehead or anything. it's something you want to do, what is it going to hurt? if he had a problem with them, why is he with you, when you have tattoos?

However, If you do decide on doing it. as a mom, i must brag..., my son is very talented and will travel. (i can send pix of his work, i wish he had been the one to do mine)

For me it would depend on the reason. If it was just "not a fan" then that wouldn't have as much impact as "concerned about XYZ". My husband knows I'm a perfectionist, and knows that part of why I don't have tats is my fear that the artist would mess up and I'd be stuck wearing the consequences. If he said he didn't want me to get one, I know it would be out of concern for my satisfaction. On the other hand, if it was something I was truly passionate about (in which case I wouldn't be asking strangers on a messageboard for their opinions), he would support me. That's how we work.

My husband has been talking tat for a while, and I would never tell him no, but I do think he would regret it. I think he wants it for the wrong reasons, and I think that once the novelty wore off it would become an eyesore to him. If he asked my opnion, I would tell him this, and make sure he understood that the final decision was his.

To some degree I will (can't figure out how to say this) make changes in my appearance based on my husband's preferences. I consider it a "courtesy" that goes along with our marriage. He once wanted a moustache, and I think they're the creepiest/ugliest things around. Totally disgusting. Out of respect for me, he opted not to grow one. Then he wanted a beard, which is #2 disgusting. He now wears a gotee, which I'm fine with. I wouldn't divorce him if he showed up with a moustache, but I would be disappointed and I think it would be hard for me to look at him, but I know he wouldn't do that out of courtesy for me. I have my eye on a short haircut, but my husband loves longer hair and finds short hair on women unattractive. Out of respect for him, I've found a happy medium. Yes, it's my life and my body, but he still has to look at me every day. :smile2:

OK...I know I am going to get in trouble walking into the power room... but my liife, my choice (as I keep hearing).

My question is: Is your desire for more tats really worth messing with your husband? So what if you want a skull and crossbones on your hip - he, as your lover, your companion, your friend, etc., should has some stake in it - not that he should have the say, and not that you have to listen to him, but yeah... he should have an opinion that should be listened to.

My wife, no post retirement, took a job. She asked, I gave her my opinion, she made up her mind. When I wanted lapband, I asked her opinion, she gave it, we made the decision from there.

As a partnership you decide these things together.

Of course, like you said... your body, your choice. But if you cut him out of the mix, don't whine if he cuts you out at some point.

I personally don't like tats. I grow bored easily and like to make changes with my appearance. A tat is forever and when you are 65 you may feel quite differently about a skull and crossbones on your hip. Your husband might be a purist and prefer the idea of unmarked human skin.

And besides, these days it seems that everyone has tats. Personally speaking, I like to be different.

My dh loves me no matter what. I have recently told him of my plans and he said I don't like it but I can't tell you what to do. If I didn't consider him in any of my plans I would not have asked him at all, I would have got the tattoos without asking or caring. I personally don't see tattoos as a "dealbreaker", I know my husband won't divorce me because I got a tattoo. Maybe if I had my arm sleeved out without telling him he would but I don't have any plans to do something that drastic especially without his approval.

As far as growing older with tattoos, I've always had a different view on that. Because when I'm 80 I don't think wrinkly tattoos will be my biggest concern. I saw an older woman with a tattoo on her ankle and I thought it was bitchin so I guess I'm just different growing old with tattoos doesn't bother me or make me second guess getting something I want. I'm against getting names unless it's my children. But thanks to all for the opinions