Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you use Lunch Meat for?

Guest BikiniBeachy

As a rule choose a deli meat that looks like it came from an animal. There is no turkey that is 3 feet long and perfectly cylindrical.

Buy some Laughing Cow low fat garlic and herb cheese, spread a bit on a piece of meat and roll it up. Good stuff.

Guest BikiniBeachy

MacMadame -

Do a lot of people get stuck on tortillas? Is there a better tortilla to try that doesn't stick since it is technically a bread? Do some people just don't even mess with any tortillas since they don't mess with bread at all?

Aubrie -

Where do you get this cajun and buffalo flavored meat? Sounds so good.

Donna and Jachut, don't a lot of things have preservatives in them? I was a vegetarian until recently, so I have trouble understanding which meats have preservatives in them and which don't. If you buy it at the deli counter, are their no preservatives? And if you start with lunch meat, isn't a lot of other meat like frozen chicken and fish full of preservatives too? I didn't know if it was very exclusive to lunch meat.

Melolo- Do you or anyone else get stuck on Pita Bread?

Jacqui you crack me up

Sometimes I think you steal the thoughts right out of my head.

We just had a lysteria outbreak here in Canada too. It had to do with bacteria build up on some of the machine parts in a meat packing plant. A few people died.

Best to buy fresh meat at a reputable butcher at cook it at home!

I worked in a deli several years ago.............deli meat has tons of preservatives. It came in a "wrapper" which listed the ingredients.

It kinda freaked me out that the deli turkey had about 15 ingredients, most of which I could not pronounce.

Yes, just because it comes from the deli counter doesnt mean its identifiable as meat.

I dont buy frozen chicken or fish either. To me, chicken comes from the butcher, either whole, or as breast fillets, pieces, thighs etc. I usually buy free range chickens, organic are a bit expensive. I also wont buy Aldi chickens becuase they're HUGE for $7.50, sheesh, WHAT must they have fed those things. Im surprised they dont breed them with four drumsticks, except they'd probably never be able to catch them.

I dunno, I just feel with meat, fresh, and identifiable as what it once was is best. Deli meat freaks me out a little. Like black pudding EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEW.

I give the kids chicken sandwiches in their school lunches, I just take a fillet, microwave it for a few minutes and shred. You can keep it in the freezer too. It thaws OK. They'll eat ham, but I wont coz I just plain dont like it. But all those kids meats, chicken loaf and and smiley loaf etc, what on earth is it? *runs screaming from the supermarket*

Look, I'm a big old hypocrite. I just have my little phobias - artificial sweetener and deli meat being two of them. I see no problem at all with guzzling a gallon of coffee a day, so dont listen to me, lol.

MacMadame -

Do a lot of people get stuck on tortillas? Is there a better tortilla to try that doesn't stick since it is technically a bread? Do some people just don't even mess with any tortillas since they don't mess with bread at all?

Aubrie -

Where do you get this cajun and buffalo flavored meat? Sounds so good.

Donna and Jachut, don't a lot of things have preservatives in them? I was a vegetarian until recently, so I have trouble understanding which meats have preservatives in them and which don't. If you buy it at the deli counter, are their no preservatives? And if you start with lunch meat, isn't a lot of other meat like frozen chicken and fish full of preservatives too? I didn't know if it was very exclusive to lunch meat.

Melolo- Do you or anyone else get stuck on Pita Bread?

No, I don't get stuck. I have yet to get stuck on any bread but the breads I do get are multi-grain. I don't know if it would make a difference for some...but for me it goes down better. Like the other night I had a yummy pizza with whole wheat crust from Minsky's. It was good :)

I still don't have good restriction. Damn where is that restriction :rolleyes2:

Guest BikiniBeachy

LOL It's funny to me, I have to remember to be afraid. Being a vegetarian for a few years and then eating meat again it's one of those things -you know- you put on a mental backburner. I always thought red meat was the worst culprit, and I do not eat red meat. But I forget how they can pack all the meat full of stuff!

Yeah, but this is where the Protein thing makes NO sense to me at all.

You were asking in another thread if anyone's doc's DONT recommend Protein first. Mine doesnt, in fact I've yet to come across a doctor in Australia that does.

People recoil in horror that you acutally admit you ate a potato. WHITE CARBS WHITE CARBS WHITE CARBS! they scream in horror. So...... hmmm.... a 150 gram potato actually contains about 3 grams of protein, 23 grams of carbs, a shite load of fibre, lots of potassium and Vitamin C all for relatively few calories - not to mention the fact that you nearly always eat potatoes WITH something else like a steak which rules out that misrepresented insulin spike theory anyway. But apparently, that's worthless, whilst eating processed meat made from god knows what portion of an animal, held together with chemicals and perservatives is healthy becuase it has no carbs.

Nobody will EVER convince me that that makes sense!

But I'll come and visit them in hospital when they're readioactive with tumours growing out of their ears, lol.

Edited by Jachut

I am trying to prepare for my solid stage, and there are tons of coupons on lean meats (lunch meats).

Without using bread, can ya'll give me some ideas on how you eat lunch meat? How you can prepare it? Maybe roll it in a tortilla? That still seems a little harsh though. I am new too cooking, and of course new to banding, so I wanted to see what YOU guys use lunch meat with!

I'm a food snob. IMO having a coupon for something isn't a reason to eat it. I really try to avoid deli meats. Too many fillers, preservatives, gristle, and general unknowns. If I do buy any, it's Boar's Head brand, since theirs is actually natural meat, or was last time I bought it. E.g. their roast beef is a roast that they slice, not some greyish looking tube o' meat with marbled fat & connective tissue covered with an oil slick rainbow. Deli meats are one of those convenience things that just aren't worth it to me. If I want some turkey, I'm going to buy some turkey and cook it.

Having said that... how I've seen lunch meats used that might be considered band-friendly:

As toppings for a chef salad

Rolled up with cheese and mayo

In omlettes

Eaten as-is

Probably more but that's all I can think of right now.

Jacqui - I've never really understood why having WLS makes Protein such a significant thing. I mean, if I ate 20gm/day before surgery, why am I suddenly at some kind of risk if I only eat 20g after? I *do* get it from a filler perspective. And I *do* get it from nutrition and weightloss perpsectives (as in, why it's important -- not as in why it's such a sudden focus after WLS). Many studies have backed up the idea that Proteins keep you full longer. But I've had entire days/weeks where I get little to no Protein, I'm not dead, and I still have muscles.

Maybe I'm just far enough out to be disillusioned, but there are a LOT of things doctors and surgeons are telling us that register as total rubbish to me. Two people very close to me just got banded and I have to laugh at some of the things they've been told. It's preposterous.

Well LOL I just love meat in almost any form. Especially a nice big ol rare steak or roast beef.

So I eat pototos also, just small amounts. Made a beef stew yesterday it was soooo good. I had one small bowl with mostly veggies and a few pieces of meat.

Nothing got stuck because it was very tender and moist.

That to me was a real treat...almost as good as chocolate LOL

Well LOL I just love meat in almost any form. Especially a nice big ol rare steak or roast beef.

So I eat pototos also, just small amounts. Made a beef stew yesterday it was soooo good. I had one small bowl with mostly veggies and a few pieces of meat.

Nothing got stuck because it was very tender and moist.

That to me was a real treat...almost as good as chocolate LOL

Boy! You and I can hang together. I love meat too and a nice well done T-bone sounds good right now. Roast beef is one of my favorites too. What I do is try different things. Just last week I brought some deli turkey and turkey pastrami and I brought some big fresh Romain Lettuce and rolled the meat, pepper jack cheese, and Tomato in the leaf. Everybody was eyeing my lunch that day. It was very yummy. :biggrin:

I would skip the lunch meat all together, it is full of nitrates and sodium, plus I find that it gets stuck more often than not. Try some deli ham or turkey with a thin layer of cream cheese and a layer of lettuce and roll it up.