Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 2 weeks ago and in PAIN!

Hi, I was banded on 10/2 (Thursday will be 2 weeks). I felt like I expected to feel for the 1st week (pretty crappy) but I got better every day and by Thursday and Friday of last week I really felt very good! I had very little pain from the port site and most of the trapped gas was gone. Other than some bad reflux, I felt really decent.

However, as of this past Sunday I am sliding downhill and very fast. I have horrible headaches and shoulder pain but I am having SEVERE abdominal pain, internally (not the incisions) where I believe my port is located. So severe that I am back on my pain meds 24/7 and I have had to have my sister come get my kids because I cannot care for them. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm starting to think that maybe I've over done it physically? I only took about 4 days off of work and I have 2 small children - 2 and 6 years old and they run me ragged. I'm miserable and I have cried myself to sleep the past 2 days because of the pain. My doctors office has asked me to come in first thing in the morning but I was curious if anyone else has experienced this.

Also, to be completely truthful and I'm embarassed to admit that I did something so foolish, I did have intercourse with my husband on Saturday. This goes to show you just how "normal" I was feeling as of Saturday. I know that the dr's orders was to wait 3 weeks, and it had only been a little over one. We got caught up in the moment however, we were very "low key" and did not do it for very long. Is this a stupid question..do you think this may have something to do with my pain?

One more question. I lost 10 pounds during my pre-op diet (in only a week and a half) but I've gained back 3 since the surgery -- during the all liquids portion. Is this normal? I'm really feeling awful and discouraged. I'm hoping any experienced bandsters can help me. Thank you!

Sorry to hear that you are feeling that way!!! I had no clue people were restricted to not have sex....! I can't imagine why that would cause you to get sick, but I'm not a doctor!

Let us know what you find out.

Hey--- I felt great at like day 4-5 and then boom...random piercing pains in my abs/side... and shoulder too. I took half doses of my pain med during the day (i was back at work) and a whole dose to sleep. Usually more of the pains in the morning after I was laying down all night. Honestly- they went away after the 2nd week... I really think that it was gas pains and just the healing of all the tissues. While the incisions are locations I am sure there was more that went on in there than just those spots. And headaches too-- but I attributed that to caffenine withdrawel and the fact that I couldn't even think about coffee with out wanting to puke after surgery.

Never hurts to call your doc if your scared though....

Yes, that sounds exactly like what I am feeling. I actually went to the doctor this morning and found out that I had a bunch of Fluid that had collected around my port site. Apparently whenever your body is trying to adjust to this "foreign" thing in your body (ie: the port) that sometimes people's bodies react by forming a wall of tissue around it to try and protect you. This can become very inflammed and can cause you to retain fluid. They did an xray and this is exactly what it was. He simply put a needle in my abdomen and drained out almost an entire vile of fluid that had become trapped and was causing pressure and pain in my stomach. I felt almost instant relief but it is still very sore. He said it may be sore for another week and a half or so. Maybe you had this too but didn't know it... and then it subsided after a couple weeks. Anyway, I was glad to learn that it wasn't from me having intercourse or eating something bad... I certainly didn't want it to be from something I did wrong. My first fill is scheduled for next Thursday and he said I should still get it done. Thanks for all the encouraging words. I hope this helps someone who experiences this same kind of pain.