Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oh my G*D I've got a sooner date

My doctors office called today and they moved my surgery date up to the 11th of July, from the 26th. I cannot believe it. I am excited but now the anxiety is setting in. I have been reading the posts and everyone is so helpful! I really want to NOT tell anyone at work, I am going to take the week off, I really hope this is enough time. One question I do have, I guess that I will call the Office, What kind of pain meds do they give you, how long did everyone need them? Did anyone do without them? Any feedback is welcome.

Congrats on your date! That's coming RIGHT up! Whoo hoo!! I didn't tell them at work, I just said I was having minor surgery..and if they pressed, I said "oh, it's girl stuff, you know...very private". No one needs to know!!

I was on morphine in the hospital and on a very tiny dose of liquid Vicoden at home. I was on the Vicoden for several days, surgery on Thursday and my last dose on Tuesday. Then again, I'm a HUGE weenie about pain so I may not be the best to judge by.

No, you cannot do without them. Managing pain is a HUGE part of healing. You won't heal well if you "tough it out". Use the stuff. But don't be afraid to use lower doses to get the right level for you. My first dose was WAY too high and I was hallucinating, but when I scaled it way back I was fine and able to function just fine.

I took this week off from work and am glad I did. I'm SO exhausted! I'm worried about being at work next week and not getting my afternoon naps!

Good luck!! Yay you!!

The pain was okay for me, I did take two doses when I got home and I was fine. The hard part was the fatigue. I was SOOO tired! Lack of calories/protien. Once my diet changed and I went to soft mushies, I was able to eat guacamole. OH! And before that I was able to add in Egg Drop Soup? Oh! YES! You'll be fine. a week off is good. Congratulations!!

Congratulations on getting an earlier date. My daughter had surgery on the 15th of June and 1 week recovery is good. She took the pain med in the hospital and they sent us home with Vicoden, which she took a couple times a day for the first few days and then only at night for about 3 more days after that. Please keep in mind though, my child has never experienced pain before so I wasn't sure if the pain was severe or if she was just aching and sore. Also, if you prefer not to tell people what's going on, that's your business. I just told people I was taking time off to relax at home with my kids. Good luck.

I had pain meds in the hospital and I took them the next day but after that I only took them when I went to sleep, in order to get a good night's sleep (and oh boy did I get a good nights sleep). I found I really did not need them. I had such a great recovery. REMEMBER that pain meds can cause Constipation. I did not have a bowel movement for almost a week so you may want to ask your doctor about taking stoll softners or soemthing like that.

As fa as work, I told a coupld of people but for the most part nobody knows. They thought I was in San Diego for the week (which had some truth, I went to Mexico).

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Ha Ha, I too told everyone I was in SD. Then when I took my daughter I told them the same thing! How are you feeling? Also, were you in TJ when DateLine was filming? I hear they filmed Dr. Ortiz replacing the port on that girl from The View & New York magazine. Apparently, when she was banded it was a larger port, now they use "mini-ports" & that's what she got. They also followed her during major plastic surg. in Mexico.

sorry for digressing so much...how are you feeling?

Seppi- I also chose not to tell anyone at work but the people who HAD to know-of course my mom(but i also work with her),my other co-worker and my boss. Its a more normal weightloss so its not OBVIOUS you had something done.i originally took a week off but i stayed out an extra 2 days,but i defiantly could have gone back after a week,i just wanted to make absolute sure i was alright! I did awesome with my surgery it was kinda painful but they gave me pain meds (i belive morphine),and the next day percocet which made feel MUCH better lol.Also,my best advice to you (and im sure everyone will agree) for post op care-take a shower the next day!You feel kinda nasty from all the pain meds and iodine that when you actually get up and get in the huuuuge hospital shower you feel WONDERFUL afterwards! Such a small thing can improve your attitude so much! Also some kind of gas-reliever is good (i think they will give that to you in the hospital,or at least tell you what to get whn you leave). I got very "bloated" in my stomach and wished i knew that would happen so i could prepare for it before surgery!LOL

I wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery!!!Please let us know as soon as you feel up to it on how you are doing!!

Called the doctors office and they pretty much said the same thing everyone else says here. I am a bit nervous about the pain. But the excitement of this finally happening overshadows all. I cannot imagine being able to open a closet and having everything fit.Thank you all.

I was given liquid vicadin also. I used morphine in the hospital. I was not in very much pain at all - nothing went wrong at all! I used the vicodin like 3 times - twice the first day I was home and once the second day - before bed. I only took like a third of the recommeded dose becasue narcotics tend to make me sick to my stomach and the last thing I wanted to do was throw up.

It is so funny that your surgery was moved up - SO WAS MINE! I thought I would die! I was freaking out! But it turned out so great - it gave me less time to build up stress and worry - not to mention less time on the liquid diet! My whole process from decideding to have surgery for sure to operation day was like 2 weeks!! I got it done on the 16th and they originally wanted to do it July 4th or 5th.I only took 2 days off work - a thursday and friday after then I had the weekend to rest up. I found that it wasn't hard to go back - I teach high school and had all day inservice and found that when I was at home I walked around more than when I got to work on Mon. I did telll anyone what I was doing - just told them it was a "procedure" for female stuff - most people didn't pry too much - I have a lot of guy friends and my closest guy friend ( who would have a really hard time understanding this stuff) is still not at all satisfied with my vauge answers to his questions. I am not sure what I am going to tell him.

OK THats it, I also work with primarily men and I'll just say female stuff, they will run and never ask me another question!!! I have lost weight before so it will not seem unusual, I know that this will be the time that I DO NOT GAIN IT BACK!