Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very strange fill....

I had my first fill this past Thursday, after being uncertain that I even wanted one, because I was losing weight so quickly already.

Though I have no comparison, I think it was an odd experience. First of all, the office opened at 9am, there were 3 appts at that time, and the Dr. didn't come in until almost 10! No emergency surgery or anything, just randomly late.

When he finally came to my room, he seemed very rushed, and didn't want to talk to me at all - very odd because he's usually very nice and patient. I asked him how much Fluid he would put in, and he said, "I don't know, I haven't done it yet." He had me lay on the table and lean back on a pillow. He put the needle in my port and was digging around - he didn't say anything to me, except to have me raise my head like I was going to do a situp. He seems to be struggling, still not saying anything, finally he takes the needle out, puts a bandaid on me and says, "Ok, you're done." His asst. gets me a cup of Water to drink. I asked him how much Fluid he put in and he says "Oh, we put about 1.5cc in the first fill."

So, here's the really weird part. He sits me down in the hallway to wait for a chance to talk to the nutritionist. Then I hear him talking to his asst. in his office, telling her that "that last lady was difficult" and that he didn't even know if he got any fluid into the band because he never heard the aspiration in the needle, and couldn't tell if he was feeling the "flap" behind the port. He told her that he decided to stop digging around and just try again next time. Next time is in 3 more weeks. FYI - NONE of this was mentioned to me.

Now, I don't know if it's a mental thing or not, but I have been much more hungry since this happened! I am beginning to think that instead of putting fluid in, he took some out (mine was pre-filled a little during surgery). I've definitely been eating more, and I am finding myself foraging for food, something I haven't done since I started the pre-op diet. I'm still counting my calories on The Daily Plate, and you can see the trend go up since Thursday. I'm so frustrated! Is it possible that he may have punctured the tubing or something?

Honestly? I'd want another doctor. My port is slanted and my doc had a little trouble but he was gracious as usual and I knew when he got it because he went "AHHH" LOL

SOrry you had that happen; at the least it's very unprofessional.

I had my first fill this past Thursday, after being uncertain that I even wanted one, because I was losing weight so quickly already.

Though I have no comparison, I think it was an odd experience. First of all, the office opened at 9am, there were 3 appts at that time, and the Dr. didn't come in until almost 10! No emergency surgery or anything, just randomly late.

When he finally came to my room, he seemed very rushed, and didn't want to talk to me at all - very odd because he's usually very nice and patient. I asked him how much Fluid he would put in, and he said, "I don't know, I haven't done it yet." He had me lay on the table and lean back on a pillow. He put the needle in my port and was digging around - he didn't say anything to me, except to have me raise my head like I was going to do a situp. He seems to be struggling, still not saying anything, finally he takes the needle out, puts a bandaid on me and says, "Ok, you're done." His asst. gets me a cup of Water to drink. I asked him how much Fluid he put in and he says "Oh, we put about 1.5cc in the first fill."

So, here's the really weird part. He sits me down in the hallway to wait for a chance to talk to the nutritionist. Then I hear him talking to his asst. in his office, telling her that "that last lady was difficult" and that he didn't even know if he got any fluid into the band because he never heard the aspiration in the needle, and couldn't tell if he was feeling the "flap" behind the port. He told her that he decided to stop digging around and just try again next time. Next time is in 3 more weeks. FYI - NONE of this was mentioned to me.

Now, I don't know if it's a mental thing or not, but I have been much more hungry since this happened! I am beginning to think that instead of putting fluid in, he took some out (mine was pre-filled a little during surgery). I've definitely been eating more, and I am finding myself foraging for food, something I haven't done since I started the pre-op diet. I'm still counting my calories on The Daily Plate, and you can see the trend go up since Thursday. I'm so frustrated! Is it possible that he may have punctured the tubing or something?

Oh, my gosh. How highly, I don't know unprofessional, unethical, SOMETHING, that he did not mention any of the problems he had to you. Please call back his office and let the nurse know what you overheard. It is your body and you have every right to know what is going on. If you want to wait the 3 weeks to talk to him, that's fine. But please discuss this incident with him at your next appointment. You've got to be able to trust your doctor 100% in this weight loss journey. Let us know what he says. He owes you an apology. I hope you get it.

i would go to a different doctor. one foul up with any doctor is one too many. no second chances, as far as a doctor goes. your experience was totally unacceptable and there is no reason why you should take it.

oh WOW...hope everything turns out ok

i had a new doc do my fill this last time, and she stuggle for a bit, and then finally did it under fluro to find it...

oh gosh did you have to pay for that fill? thats VERY wrong.

The last two times I went for my fills, the doctor was digging too. I looked to see what he was doing because he was taking a while to find the port. When he found it he showed me the Fluid in the syringe. when they fill you they pull fluid out to make sure they found the right spot. The fluid that comes out is blue (at least it is for me, anyone else?). He said that the fluid is blue so they know when they hit the right spot. Yea, you deserve an apology for the unprofessional conversation you overheard and a fill since he didn't give you one to begin with. Good luck.

I would tell them what you heard and demand to know what is going on. If they wont tell you find another doctor.

The last two times I went for my fills, the doctor was digging too. I looked to see what he was doing because he was taking a while to find the port. When he found it he showed me the Fluid in the syringe. when they fill you they pull fluid out to make sure they found the right spot. The fluid that comes out is blue (at least it is for me, anyone else?). He said that the fluid is blue so they know when they hit the right spot. Yea, you deserve an apology for the unprofessional conversation you overheard and a fill since he didn't give you one to begin with. Good luck.

I agree with you she deserves an apology for the unprofessional behavior the staff has. She needs to stand her grounds and not let this happen again. We pay allot of money for insurance to cover our medical bills and we deserve the proper treatment medically and professionally.

Good point about insurance. If he billed your insurance for a fill that you didn't get, that is insurance fraud. Tell him you can report him to the insurance company.

I appreciate all of your comments.. my problem is that I really don't want to go to another doctor. Up until this, he has been awesome. I think he had something personal going on, and was rushed. I wasn't meant to overhear the conversation -that part was a coincidence - it's the fact that he didn't tell me that bothers me. I am definitely going to ask about it when I see him, and if I keep feeling so hungry, I'm going to call and move up my appointment. I agree it was very unprofessional, and I'm going to take your advice and address it directly with him (but not with his staff).

Has anyone ever had an experience with a fill having the reverse effect? Is it possible he pierced the tube or something? It sounds plausible to me, but I don't think I've ever heard of it happening.

LFM, the question is do you still have confidence and trust in your doctor after this incident?

At the very least, talkign about you in the hall is a legal violation of your right to privacy. And if it was someone ELSE you heard him talk about, it was a violation of theirs. You do need to speak up that you were unhappy with your experience. Not your fault he was rushed and late.

I think that you should probably discuss your concerns with your Doctor. He behaved unprofessionally but all your prior experiences were good and perhaps he was just having a really bad morning. Give him a chance to explain and hopefully apologize. Hopefully it was just an exception to your usual care?

I think that you should probably discuss your concerns with your Doctor. He behaved unprofessionally but all your prior experiences were good and perhaps he was just having a really bad morning. Give him a chance to explain and hopefully apologize. Hopefully it was just an exception to your usual care?

You know, if he was just having a bad morning, then I'm glad it wasn't the morning that I had my surgery!!!!