Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hoping to get banded through 30-35 BMI study with Dr. Waldrep

Hi! I've been cruising this site and doing lots of research on banding and am very hopeful to get into the 30-35 BMI Study with Dr. Waldrep. I'm going to the "open house" talk at Sutter Medical Center tomorrow with my husband to get the particulars. I just turned 40 last August and have two small boys, aged 1 and 4, and I'm greatly feeling the negative effects of 70 extra pounds! My current BMI is 34.1 and I'm in good general health (low blood pressure, low cholesterol, no hypertension, diabetes, sleep apnea, etc.) so I think my only chance at banding is through the study. I've been overweight all my life and have been a yo-yo dieter most of it. I get obsessive when I start a diet and usually succeed, but then I sabotage it all and go back to old habits. I generally eat healthy but it takes a lot for me to feel full. I think the band will be a great tool to help me keep the volume down! Are there any bansters in this study? Any who got banded with Dr. Waldrep? Any nearby in east Roseville, California?

I'd like to hear more about this. I will probably get banded at Sutter in Roseville - if everything keeps going forward. My BMI is between 42 and 45 so I'd like to know as you do, anyone else banded by Dr. Waldrep or Dr. Laura Machado?

I wish you well on your journey to weight loss!

Yes I used Dr. Waldrep

Nice job with the surgery... but I have not lost weight. It is for big eaters and doesn't help if you are a grazer, or if sweets are your problem!

Yeah, I heard that about not losing weight if you're low BMI. Thankfully I'm not a grazer or sweets eater. I'm more of a volume eater. I generally eat good stuff, but it takes a lot to satisfy me at a meal. I'm hoping to stick to just 3 meals a day but eat less at each meal. So far, so good. Lost 8 lbs. since surgery 2.5 weeks ago without really trying and without a fill. I can tell I need a fill though because I can still eat more than I think I should be able to... although not as much as I used to. I go in for a fill 3 days before Thanksgiving, which should make the holiday interesting! I'm hoping to work hard to lose the weight, but then have the band to help me keep it off. We'll see how it goes!

How did your surgery go? How much did you end up paying with the study? I am very interested as I am a lower BMI (33 almost 34) and will probably be self pay.

thanks!

Well, apparently there are more test requirements that the FDA needs for the study, so it ends up costing more than if I was just self-pay and not in the study, except that I wouldn't qualify without being in the study since I don't have any health issues and I don't want to gain 45 lbs. Summarily, the approximate cost if you're in the study is $19,000. This includes the dietician eval., the PCP eval., the psych eval., blood work up, chest x-ray, upper GI, pre and post op visits, the procedure, the operating room fee, the device, and all follow up visits and fills for one year (which are every month for 9 months, then at 12 mos.). The study is for 5 years so you still go in every 3 mos. until you reach the 2-year mark, then every 6 mos. until the 3-year mark, then annually until the 5-year mark. The visits after the 12-month mark are out of pocket at approx. $200 each visit. You actually pay each doctor directly (dietician, psych, labs, etc.) but it adds up to about $19,000. It could cost less if you have connections. Waldrep's office charges approx. $9200 for their part (pre/post op visits, procedure, support group and year of visits). The surgery center charges $7000 for the facility and device. They have a financing program if you need it. I borrowed the money from my mom. The surgery was fast and simple. I checked in at 7:30 am, surgery was at 8:45, it took 20 mins. to do the procedure and I was at home by 11:30. My abdomen hurt like I was kicked in the ribs but they give you some pretty good meds. I ended up resting for a couple of days. They do a new procedure when they put in the port part of the band to make it more stable so it won't flip (they actually dig a pocket in your tissue with their fingers!), so that part ends up taking a little longer to heal (very sore at that sight, with some sharp pains if you move wrong due to muscles mending). I would say that I was fully recovered (no swelling or soreness, just some faded bruises) by day 5. Overall, I would say the surgery was very successful. I don't have a fill yet and I can still eat everything without having to chew real well. I can't eat as much as I normally did, but I can eat more than I think I should be able to. I get my first fill a few days before Thanksgiving and Dr. Waldrep's office is pretty aggressive with their fills (usually 4.5 cc's at first fill). I hope that makes me cut back more! Thankfully I'm not a big sweets eater or grazer/snacker. I just like big meals :D

Edited by grateful1

There are doctors in Mexico who will band you with a BMI in the 30 to 35 range. I was self pay and think you get just as much medical care and except some dont speak English where I was, it was a good experience and only cost me $6,500. Two other ladies at my fill center said they paid $6K for their bands.