Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fill doctor in British Columbia?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and like many on here, am busily doing my research before I take the plunge. I'm in Vancouver, BC and considering doing my surgery either in Seattle area or in Mexico, and one of the issues I've come across in my readings is the need to establish a fill doctor that's near you locally before going away for surgery. So far I've heard of a Dr. Woodhead that does fills for patients who have had their surgeries in Mexico, but I also read he is no longer taking any patients. Does anyone have any updates on this, or know of anyone else in BC that does fills?

Thanks!

Vangirl

Hi Vangirl,

My husband was banded by Dr. Woodhead. He won't fill anyone he didn't band any more. I got banded last week in Mexico by Dr. Ortiz. Honestly, it cost much less and I had way less bruising and pain after. We are both in agreement that Dr. Ortiz in Mexico is a much more experienced surgeon and did a better job. All my incisions were glued shut, flat, and I had minimal bruising, I could shower right away. My husband's incisions were sewn shut, swollen, bumpy, oozed for days and badly bruised. He wasn't allowed to shower for a week. I also had non of his post-op throat or belly pain. We both did have pain in our left shoulders from the gas used during surgery. I did major research and found Dr.Ortiz. I was not disappointed with my decision. Now I just have to fins local fills. Hope this info helps. BTW I have lost over 10 pounds in 4 days!!! My husband lost 60 pounds in 3 months. Banding is great!

Sounds like a great experience Coquitlamgirl. I have to say, I have been leaning towards Dr. Ortiz after doing a lot of reading and comparing the price. Even if I have to go to the U.S., or even Mexico for fills, it seems like it would still be cheaper than having the surgery in Canada. How were you able to travel after your surgery in Mexico? How is your pain/mobility now? I hope you don't mind the questions, this whole thing is new to me, and it really helps to hear others' experiences.

Hi Vangirl,

My husband was banded by Dr. Woodhead. He won't fill anyone he didn't band any more. I got banded last week in Mexico by Dr. Ortiz. Honestly, it cost much less and I had way less bruising and pain after. We are both in agreement that Dr. Ortiz in Mexico is a much more experienced surgeon and did a better job. All my incisions were glued shut, flat, and I had minimal bruising, I could shower right away. My husband's incisions were sewn shut, swollen, bumpy, oozed for days and badly bruised. He wasn't allowed to shower for a week. I also had non of his post-op throat or belly pain. We both did have pain in our left shoulders from the gas used during surgery. I did major research and found Dr.Ortiz. I was not disappointed with my decision. Now I just have to fins local fills. Hope this info helps. BTW I have lost over 10 pounds in 4 days!!! My husband lost 60 pounds in 3 months. Banding is great!

I just want to throw out there about Dr.Woodhead, I was banded by him in January of this year and had a fabulous experience. I was not stitched shut by him, glued and normal and showering within two days. I had no shoulder pain from gas whatsoever, minimal bruising and no oozing. I think everyone's experience could be unique and I would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone. Personally, I again would pay the extra to know that I am set for life with aftercare and do not have to pay for aftercare (I know some people have to pay up to $200/fill and at the 5 fills I have had this year that would be another $1000). And no, Dr.Woodhead does not fill other peoples patients.

In my research if you are going across the border for fills (to Arlington or Everett, etc) you are going to have to assume that you will be paying at least $175 per fill and at our current dollar that would be almost $200 Canadian for a fill not to mention the cost of driving to wherever it would be vs driving to someone more local. I am absolutely not against someone going to Mexico or anywhere providing they have found and lined up proper aftercare before they go.

The reasons I went local over Mexico (high considered Mexico as well by the way - or Denver)...

1) After care and fills all taken care of at no additional expense

2) Cost of time and travel for fills (1.5hr drive to Dr.Woodhead from where I live in the fraser valley and no border wait) and how much time I would have to take off work to get said fills done.

3) If I got a fill that once it settled it ended up being too much or I needed to reach Dr.Woodhead in an emergency for an unfill I know that I would be able to get into him asap and that he would accommodate me the best that he could because I am his patient and he is responsible to care for me. I'm not just another random number at a fill clinic. God forbid I should have to make an emergency run for the border for an unfill and have to sit for 2 hours at a border crossing during peak times.

Those are just my opinions and experiences with Dr.Woodhead. There are a lot of people on this forum that have had surgery by him after I have (or before I have) that would recommend him absolutely and I would be more than willing to point them out if you need...

Good luck in your decision and congrats on making the choice to better your life! :biggrin:

(sorry if this seems like a long ramble!). Ps - if you visit my blog and go back into the archives I go into depth about everything w/ my experiences, how the day of surgery and Dr.Woodhead etc.

Hi Ange1982,

Thank you for your reply. I'll definitely be checking out your blog, as I'm kind of saturating myself with reading about other people's experiences so I will know as much as possible what I'm getting myself into. It's great that you had a good experience with Dr. Woodhead. I've read good things about him on this forum. Ideally I would like to have the surgery locally, but even factoring the cost of travelling for fills/unfills, it still works out to less money travelling to Mexico. Money is definitely an issue in my case, although certainly not the only issue. From what I've been reading, problems with fills or erosion usually don't lead to a trip to the emergency room. I think it comes down to how much of a risk is one willing to take, how comfortable one is with that risk, etc. Not an easy decision for anyone, that's for sure!

Hi Vangirl,

I had no problems flying home after surgery. My left shoulder hurt the same on the ground as in the air and that was the only pain I experienced.

Also, we flew direct from Vancouver to San Diego on Air Canada. The jet was one of the new Brazilian planes, tiny -- only 32 rows and one bathroom. But it had bigger seats and more leg room than any economy seat I've seen in years and the engine noise was way quieter. I was very pleasantly surprised!

Hope all goes well with your research and you have a good result with the surgeon of you choice!

The gas pain in my left shoulder lasted about 5 days, decreasing everyday. The first couple days were very unpleasant between doses, but tylenol took care of the pain. I'm 7 days post-op and my smaller incisions are healed pink lines already!

All my bruises have faded to yellow and my two bigger incisions are flat and healing nicely.