Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

constipation since band

I was banded in may and have never had any bowel problems, since my surgery I have had Constipation issues, I knew going into the band surgery my gallbladder was bad. It gave me no prblems again until the last month and had it remove on tuesday last evening I was severely backed-up to the point it made me physically ill. I was up all night but the damn was broke. I just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem since surgery. I've included colace with my meds and drink a lot of Water. But Oh I need some help with this. Sorry it's not such a nice topic. If anyone has suggestions this would be great.

Sheenah

I have had the same problem. I put Benefiber in my Water and take stool softeners. I was also told to eat some cooked carrots or broccoli. I bought some canned carrots as they are soft. She said I should be having a BM about every two days, but that just isn't happening.

yeah...well...I broke down and went to walgreens and bought an enema bag. Warm Water enema if I go more than a few days without a BM and all is right in my world. No more cramping, no more bloated painful stomach. It is all good.

I had this problem too at the beginning. Once it was so awful, I don't even want to tell you what I had to do.

I believe it was all the Protein and not enough Water and Fiber in my diet. It was to the point that if I didn't take a daily dose of laxatives I had problems. Now that I've increased my Fiber intake, keep up my Water intake, I don't have as much nor nearly as bad.

Water is very important, but sometimes it seems difficult to keep that at the level it needs to be since I can't drink with meals.

My surgeon suggested several things and all of them work when needed. It's an ongoing problem so I keep all on hand. For mild problem, or to avoid a worse problem, eat 3 or 4 stewed prunes before bedtime. (just drop them in a little Water and bring to a boil and cool. They are softer that way and easier to chew and swallow.... I like them. It's good with cottage cheese. Including the juice it makes) Have a few sections of grapefruit with your Breakfast. Make sure to pull the pithy membrane off each section so you don't get stuck. Works like a charm for me. Now, if I've eaten a really high Protein diet, or messed up on my diet and water, and things have hit critical, I take Milk of Magnesia before bedtime and it's all over by morning. Good luck and I hear your pain!!!!

Well... for anyone that had problems right at the beginning it was probably due to the pain pills. Narcotics are notorious for making people have terrible Constipation.

I broke my arm and had to have surgery, and I got myself into a world of trouble! If you know what I mean.... So, when I had a c-section and was taking loratab left and right... I was doubling up on the benefiber and eating some prunes.

Lots of Water helps too.

I have the same problem with Constipation. I went to the dr. yesterday and he told me to take stool softeners, Milk of Magnesium and also perscribed Amitiza capsules. He said I should be ok after taking that perscription. I asked him if the lap band is the cause of me being constipated and he said no! Lets hope it's not cause this wasn't in the fine print regarding complications with the lapband.

There are so many threads about Constipation. It is a big problem for lap band patients. Miralax works well but it's expensive. There is no taste to it. I take colace every day. I keep them in my purse so if I forget to take one, I always have them with me for when I remember.

Benefiber seems to do absolutely nothing for me.

Benefiber seems to do absolutely nothing for me.

I've heard several people say that. I also like it because it does give me extra "free" Fiber in my diet. It tastes like nothing so I don't even realize it is in my coffee at all.

I am so glad to find this thread. I had my lap band surgery on November 18th, and immediately had the runs, now that problem is fixed I continue to be constipated. I was just about to the point of calling the Dr's office if I couldn't find some info about fixing this problem.

Thanks for all your help, I'm going to try the miralax, colace or MOM this evening.

Miralax once a day has kept it flowing rather well for me. I took a break for a couple weeks to see if I'd somehow self-regulated and umm... paid for that decision dearly.