Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm confuse!! Prenatal Vitamins, DHA, EPA

Hello Ladies,

First of all, I'm not sure if I'm pregnant. My period is about a week late. I took 5 Pregnancy tests (can you tell I'm one of those people who is a pain in the butt? :biggrin: ) 3 of the digital one showed "Pregnant" and 2 of them were the blue line type, it the plus wasn't that clear to see.

Prior to this, I've been taking the chewable Flintstones Complete. Once I did the P-test and I realized i might be preggo, I started taking Prenatal Vitamins.

I crush the prenatal pill and just add the powder to yogurt. My problem is the Fishoil softgel. That thing is Ginormous! For the pass two days, I have poke a hole into the softgel, squeeze out the oil and mix it with food. The stinks so bad I could barely keep my food down :lol:.

My questions to you ladies, are you taking those softgel fishoil? What are my alternative to taking this disgusting thing that is suppose to be good for me? Is there any other brand of Prenatal Vitamins I should look into? And where can I find them?

Also, have anyone tried the Hershey's Goodnight Hugs and Kisses Hot cocoa? I heard they are good and 99.9% Caffeine free.

Thank you so much everyone~! I will keep you update on my "maybe" status once it turns into "confirmed".

Well, it sounds like you are preggers to me. If so, I am just slightly further along than you. Congratulations . . . now the waiting begins, lol.

I am not sure about prenatals yet but I am interested in the answer to the question. I have been taking a chewable Multivitamin called Spectravite from CVS pharmacy since banding. I did a compare on prenatal Vitamins at the store and saw the only difference was that they had double the folic acid. So I bought a folic acid supplement and I think I am ingesting the appropriate amount daily. I will ask my physician when I get into the doctor.

My doctor wanted to put me on Prenatal DHA, which was a big hoss size blue pill.. I reminded her about the band so she told me to get Duet StuartNatal , cheweable.. they're alright, but then they gave me a sample pack of the PDHA.. I tried them, despite them being hoss size, they were skinny and slick so I've been taking them. Maybe when I get refilled next week I'll change my mind, but right now I much prefer the swallowing ones.

Flintstones will not give you complete Vitamins that you need during pregnancy..

Well, it sounds like you are preggers to me. If so, I am just slightly further along than you. Congratulations . . . now the waiting begins, lol.

I am not sure about prenatals yet but I am interested in the answer to the question. I have been taking a chewable Multivitamin called Spectravite from CVS pharmacy since banding. I did a compare on prenatal Vitamins at the store and saw the only difference was that they had double the folic acid. So I bought a folic acid supplement and I think I am ingesting the appropriate amount daily. I will ask my physician when I get into the doctor.

Hi Heather,

I have read somewhere that they said the Vitamin A in the Multivitamins is too high in quantity and too much Vitamin A is not good for a developing fetus. I don't know how true that is so that's why I decided to stop taking Flintstones and started taking the prenatal Vitamins instead.

The Fish Oil soft gel is so huge (the length of half my pinky, slightly - okay, half the thickness of my pinky). I'm just too scared to take it. Last thing I want is to having to try to hurl that thing back out. (Lord knows that with my luck, the pill will go in wrongly and just get stuck there!)

My doctor should be calling me with my blood test result tomorrow. I'm really excited, my hubby and I have been waiting for a while, so I really do hope I am preggo.

My doctor wanted to put me on Prenatal DHA, which was a big hoss size blue pill.. I reminded her about the band so she told me to get Duet StuartNatal , cheweable.. they're alright, but then they gave me a sample pack of the PDHA.. I tried them, despite them being hoss size, they were skinny and slick so I've been taking them. Maybe when I get refilled next week I'll change my mind, but right now I much prefer the swallowing ones.

Flintstones will not give you complete Vitamins that you need during pregnancy..

Hi Laura,

Thank you so much for the info. I will definitely start doing some research on Duet Stuartnatal. Since my regular doctor doesn't have a lot of Lapbander as a patient, I figure it would be best for me to do research on what kind of Vitamins I can have and hopefully my insurance will cover it.

Take Care~!

Aya

This is what I've been taking:

1. Viactiv chewable Vitamin, which arguably doesn't have the Iron that you may need, so check with your OB/GYN regarding whether to take an Iron supplement -- I don't have to based on my blood test;

2. Expecta DHA supplement found in my local pharmacy. Not as big as those fish oil capsules and it's a non-animal source of DHA, so you're not going to get the fish-burps after taking it;

3. Extra folic acid, for a total of 800 mcg per day;

4. Chewable Calcium supplement with Vitamin D

I know it's a lot, but none of it tastes nasty or is hard to swallow, which is a big deal right now for me.

Okay ladies,

I just got a call from my doctor about an hour ago. It is confirmed. I'm about 3 weeks based on the blood test. i'm so excited, ahhhh.

I will jot down all the prenatal Vitamins that all of you have recommend and discuss it with my OB-Gyn. hopefully I will get to see him-her by next week. Can't wait.

Thank you very much for all the replies! You girls are the best!!!

Not true. I had hyperemesis when I was pregnant and the giant prenatals made it worse. I spoke with my midwife and 2 flintstones Vitamins is equal to one prenatal. Compare the labels.

Congrats CaliGirl626!! I know you have to be really excitied. I am still waiting on insurance approval to have my banding. Along with losing weight, getting pregnant is another BIG reason I want the band so bad. I have been trying for 5 yrs to get preggo, without a bit of luck!! Keep us updated on the viatmin research. I also was wondering about what to take when the time comes.

Not true. I had hyperemesis when I was pregnant and the giant prenatals made it worse. I spoke with my midwife and 2 flintstones Vitamins is equal to one prenatal. Compare the labels.

I just want to caution everyone about comparing labels.

Too much of a good thing can be a bad thing . . . you don't want to go way over on some Vitamins by doubling up.

Make sure you are comparing both the posivites and negatives to any combination of supplements as compared to a good prenatal.

I did compare the labels, because I was taking 2x flinstone a day till my doc changed it.

The folic acid (which is important) is higher in 1 dose of Prenatal DHA than 2x Flinstone.

Hi everyone!

I'm waiting for a referral from my doctor for the OB-Gyn. I'm still taking the Prenatal Vitamins (I just crush the pill, I spoke to a nurse in the lapband doctor's office and she said it's okay to crush the prenatal vitamins).

I decided not to take the fishoil softgel. I have been trying to take those for the last week. But the smell was horrible. Yesterday I went to Target and found a chewable Omega-3 Vitamins so I bought that. Since i'm lactose intolerant, I also bought a chewable Calcium for kids. I tried that yesterday and it was a million time better than the fishoil soft gel. Also, i'm making a conscious effort to consume 12 oz. of fish per week. So that should make up for whatever I'm missing.

Once I'm schedule to go in and see the OB-gyn, I will bring all my vitamins for her to see, Hopefully I'm getting enough nutrients that I won't need to go back to fishoil soft gel.

Thank you for all the comments. I think it's really good that we are sharing these info. Some of it might be conflicting, but it's good to know about it so we can ask our doctor when we go in to see him/her right?

Fish oil is bad but I found this products and it is orange flavored and actually tastes good, not great but not like fish oil either. Coromega Omega-3 chocolate & Orange Flavor -- 90 Packets - www.Vitacost.com

It is Coromega. I think it also comes in other flavors too but comes in a little packet. Kinda like a little honey packet and just tear off the top and sqeeze it into your mouth. It's a great altenative

Hello Ladies,

First of all, I'm not sure if I'm pregnant. My period is about a week late. I took 5 Pregnancy tests (can you tell I'm one of those people who is a pain in the butt? :rolleyes2: ) 3 of the digital one showed "Pregnant" and 2 of them were the blue line type, it the plus wasn't that clear to see.

Prior to this, I've been taking the chewable Flintstones Complete. Once I did the P-test and I realized i might be preggo, I started taking Prenatal Vitamins.

I crush the prenatal pill and just add the powder to yogurt. My problem is the Fishoil softgel. That thing is Ginormous! For the pass two days, I have poke a hole into the softgel, squeeze out the oil and mix it with food. The stinks so bad I could barely keep my food down :D.

My questions to you ladies, are you taking those softgel fishoil? What are my alternative to taking this disgusting thing that is suppose to be good for me? Is there any other brand of Prenatal Vitamins I should look into? And where can I find them?

Also, have anyone tried the Hershey's Goodnight Hugs and Kisses Hot cocoa? I heard they are good and 99.9% Caffeine free.

Thank you so much everyone~! I will keep you update on my "maybe" status once it turns into "confirmed".

Fish oil is bad but I found this products and it is orange flavored and actually tastes good, not great but not like fish oil either. Coromega Omega-3 chocolate & Orange Flavor -- 90 Packets - www.Vitacost.com

It is Coromega. I think it also comes in other flavors too but comes in a little packet. Kinda like a little honey packet and just tear off the top and sqeeze it into your mouth. It's a great altenative

I've heard someone mention this stuff before, but I can't wrap my mind around squeezing chocolate or orange flavored fish oil into my mouth lol.

90% of the time with the pills I am taking, it's fine.. but 10% of the time it makes me have fish burps for hours.. :D

That being said, I have never liked fish in my life.. and since pregnancy I am in love with fish.. and even fishy fish like Salmon. I still hate fish burps from fish oil, but I eat Salmon, Tilapia and Catfish on a weekly basis (my doc said I can have 3x servings a week when I told her how I want it all the time and with the mercury thing).