Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all,

I have read some posts on here regarding the lovenox shot in the belly right before surgery a long time ago when I started this journey and I can remember someone saying they felt like jumping off the table it hurt so bad. Can you share your experience with it? Any tips as far as to tense up or relax when getting it? I asked if they could give me something for nerves before the shot and they said nope...grrr....why in the heck not? LOL....crybaby here.

I got the shot both before and after my surgery. It burned a bit, but any discomfort goes away in a minute or two.

In my experience, it didn't matter whether I tensed up or relaxed...it still stung.

Don't worry. Its not that bad. It was just one small hurdle to getting into bandland.

I got one right before surgery and at least one, maybe two afterwards (I was in the hospital longer than you'll be since you're getting a band). I have to say that I didn't feel any of them really. They had already started some of the anesthesia in the OR and afterwards I was pretty high from the morphine pump.

what's a lovenox shot? I don't recall getting a shot in my belly before or after the surgery.

I had heparin in the hospital and then had to do lovenox for 7 days at home. I had to shoot myself in the belly. It did not hurt much and I think that I built it up to more than I needed too.

some people get bruising but that was minimal for me.

wvgal.. i had to take a lovenox shot for 7 days after my surgery and i had to give it to myself and it was not to bad.. Now i am not one for giving myself a shot so I will admit a few days I was a big baby about it, but for the most part it pinched and stung. Dont stress it.. You will be ok and if you only have to have it once. you are pretty lucky.. Good Luck

I didn't get lovenox, but my surgeon did shoot me with heparin in my thigh right before surgery. He did it at the same time as they were putting in the IV and so I was torn as to what hurt more, but the heparin definitely did. It burned for about a minute or so, but then I was over it.

Afterwards, I got 4 more shots while in the hospital. They put those in the fatty tissue of my butt. I have bruises from those, but they didn't hurt as much. Probably because I was on the Morphine.

I'd actually forgotten about the lovenox shot. It didn't hurt me much at all.

I stung a bit but didn't hurt at all, I had one 2 hours before surgery and then one after.

I never felt a think with my shots

I had one before surgery then approximately 3 (I think) while in the hospital - in my belly. One really Quick sting and that was it! Well worth what my planned:sneaky: results will be!

what's a lovenox shot? I don't recall getting a shot in my belly before or after the surgery.

Hello, Lovenox is an anti-blood clotting injection you receive in your abdomen. It absorbs best in the abdominal tissue.

It is not given to everyone. It depends on your surgeon.. It is also depends on your size and how well the surgeon feels you will move after surgery.

Hope this helps, Crystal Carter RN

It is not given to everyone. It depends on your surgeon.. It is also depends on your size and how well the surgeon feels you will move after surgery.

And if you have a prior history of blood clots.