Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just had my evaluation with the surgeon yesterday. My primary doctor recommended me for lap band, but the surgeon said i need the gastric bypass. He said the reason he thinks that one is better was because i'm double the average weight for my height. He said that there is little weight loss with the lap band and he didn't think i could loss enough. I'm really scared about the bypass. I don't want to have that procedure done. Is the surgeon only trying to push the bypass procedure on me because it cost more which mean more money for him?

:wink2:

Probably.

There are plenty of people who have lost well over 100 lbs with the lap band. You WILL, however, have to be very disciplined about what you eat for a very long time to do it and that is likely the root of his concern. Lap Band is not as automatic in the weight loss department as gastric bypass nor as fast. But this 50% statistic I keep seeing reported (as in, most people only lose 50% of the weight they need to) has not held true in my experience if you stick to your new way of eating and don't try to eat around the band.

If you want the band, find another surgeon.

In the end its your decision. I do find surgeons more often than not recommend by pass, that way they know the folks will lose weight, the problem is they probably will put it on later if they dont stick to the diet and start overeating.

Long term I think the band works just as well, its just not as fast in the beginning. We have to keep getting fills until we hit our sweet spot. I had my surgery 7/9, and still not close to getting the restriction I need. Lap band is a longer process, but you wouldnt put the weight back on as easily if you have your fills and get to where you need to be.

If you are not comfortable with bypass, by all means find another doctor and get a second opinion. Personally the bypass scared me, I felt more comfortable with my decision to get the band. Good luck

I agree with everyone above. When I was doing research, I kept reading that the bypass was recommended for people with very large amounts to lose, like me. The bypass scared me, though, and my husband would not even talk about it due to his fears of complications.

He didn't even blink, however, when I brought up lap band, and when I went to my surgeon for a consult, he never brought up any other procedure.

So- shop around. Make an educated choice about what is right for you, knowing the risks and benefits of each procedure. There are plenty of docs out there who will accomodate you.

When I first started my journey the surgeon and his assistant both tried to convince me that I should have the bypass... I need to lost 200 pounds to be what they think is my goal weight. I told them I was set on the LB... The surgeon then said, "oh, you want to be able to have it reversed!" That made me angry. Reason is that I have had more than one invasive surgery and my family and I felt more safe with the LB.... I almost died after my last surgery from a bleeder. After explaining why I made my decision, they backed off and have been very supportive ever since. They had just looked at my weight and presumed I wanted it off fast and furious. And I suppose I do, but I'm willing to do this the right way to get the right results... You do what you think is best.. Good luck... Julie

I chose the band beacuse it has a lot less complications. I am 5'2 and started out at 318lbs I now weight 228. I have lost 90lbs and still losing. It is a slower process, but I know my insides are all in tact and that if there is a complication the band can be removed. I have 4 friends who have had the bypass and 3 of them have gained over half of their weight back. With the band after I lose all my weight and I start to gain. I can go back and get a fill. Do your homework about both surgeries. It is your body and your decision not the doctors. Good luck on your journey.

while i had NO interest in the gastric bypass either, i'm one of the people that have lost only 50% of the weight i need to lose. yes, i've only been banded for 6 months but i haven't lost any weight for the past 2 months.

i was over-filled and was PB'ing more than i was keeping food down so that is how i lost a lot of weight so quickly. now that it's been a month after a slight unfill, i've gained at least 3 pounds back.

i've picked up my exercise level. i am eating a little more than i was before and not PB'ing but i just can't seem to lose any more weight.

i'm satisfied with the 50% weight loss but i'm determined to lose the other 50% of the weight hopefully by my bandiversary.... it might not happen though and that is something i have to accept since i knew there was the possibility of not losing 100% of the weight i needed.

My experience with going to various seminars is that there are doctors out there who say they do lap band and bypass (and sometimes the sleeve) but in reality 90% of their practice is bypass. If you were referred to one of these doctors, of course he's going to tell you that the bypass is better. He thinks it's better for *everyone*.

OTOH, if you think your surgeon had some good points to make and supports both surgeries equally, then it's worth listening to his advice, as it's based on lots of experience with lots of patients.

The bottom line is that you have to get the surgery that's right for you and only you can decide that. Your surgeon knows the averages and the generalities and the medical issues, but you know yourself.

I had been wanting weight loss surgery for many years...before I even heard of the band...but knew that gastric bypass was not for me. I waited a few years and that is when thank goodness I learned about the band. When I went to the seminar for the dr that I finally choose as my surgeon I got to talk to him at the end and I told him that I already knew I wanted the band and even when I had my first consult with him he never even mentioned gastric bypass because he knew I choose what is best for me. I suggest you find other surgeon...why pick a form of surgery you are not comfortable with when you will have to live with it for the rest of your life?

good luck

I started my Quest weighing 359 pounds. I was never encouraged to choose a different option other then lapband surgery. The end decision is yours to make no matter what the medical professionals say. They refer to statistics when they say the lapband will only enable you to lose half of what you need to lose. It is indeed possible to lose a large amount and i am proof of that. I am not that far away from the point where i will be able to say that i lost half of my total body weight. Best of luck to ya!

Stick to what you think is right for you. Neither surgery is an "easy" way to lose weight. You are going to have to work at it with either procedure.

My experience has been that doctors that push the bypass are the surgeons who either don't do the band or don't do it well. My SIL had bypass surgery about a month after I had my band. I have lost more weight than she has. Why? because I work at it harder than she does. She doesn't exercise, eats six meals a day (actually I think she grazes all the time.) and makes poor food choices. I try to make wise food choices, only eat three meals a day, make sure I get my Protein in every day, and I walk 5-7 miles a day.

There are many people who have been successful with both procedures and many people who have failed at both procedures. Do your homework and then stick to your guns about what you will or will not do to your body. For me, it has been the best decision I have ever made for my health. A year ago I couldn't walk 1/4 mile without using my inhaler.

Good luck on whatever route you take.

I just had my evaluation with the surgeon yesterday. My primary doctor recommended me for lap band, but the surgeon said i need the gastric bypass. He said the reason he thinks that one is better was because i'm double the average weight for my height. He said that there is little weight loss with the lap band and he didn't think i could loss enough. I'm really scared about the bypass. I don't want to have that procedure done. Is the surgeon only trying to push the bypass procedure on me because it cost more which mean more money for him?

:wink2:

GO for the LapBand whether surgeon likes it or not!! Gastric Bypass is mainly for those with health problems like Diabetes,etc. Lap band is better, because you can adjust the band tighter and tighter as you get close to your goal to support your appetite all the way. Think about it. WIth GB, once its done, it's done...I, too am scared of GB...My husband wants a GB, becasue he will be able to eat meat there better than band. But it affect everyone differently. Just have to choose wisely..If you are not happy with surgeon, try another one!! My opinion...Good luck!!

SG

This is a personal choice of yours. If you want the gastric band procedure tell the surgeon that. Fact is that the bypass surgery is a higher costing surgery then the gastric band surgery is.

I am a person that needs to lose more then double my body weight. I have a bmi of about 58. I will have to lose well over 200lbs. I have chosen the lapband because it is a tool to help me lose the weight. Not the miracle cure that I often times get the feelings that surgeons try to pass off the RNY as.

Fact is you will lose weight with any WLS surgery if you do what you are suppose to do. It's still on you to follow through. At least with the gastric band you are not hacking up your body to do it and it is something that can be adjusted until you hit that sweet spot unlike the RNY being toted as the one size fits all miracle cure.