Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am looking into the lapband. I am self-pay as my insurance company does not pay for the surgery. I have been to one seminar in Little Rock, AR (where I live) and have good information. However, I won't lie, with the high cost, I am thinking about going out of country. Has anyone here done that? Where do you get fills once you have it done?

There is a doc in aurora CO who does the surgery for under 10K...Kirshenbaum? Something like that. You might want to nose around the forums covering docs and hospitals. Many go to mexico many more wouldn't ever go there..it's a personal decision of course! :tt1:

You are good to line up after care first, however; that is problematic for some people who go out of country (or honestly even out of state) to get their fills etc. Good luck!

Hi, I went to Mexico to Dr. Huacuz. He was WONDERFUL. The care was outstanding. I have lost 19 lbs so far I got banded on 8.25..it was the best thing I did. The care I received by Dr. Huacuz & Staff was really professional and caring. Dr. Huacuz was very available for any questions. Rocio who is the Patient assistant is really helpful and sweet. I totally reccommend him. Good luck with your surgery whether you did it hear or there. It is a life changing thing.

Thanks

You need to first find out if anyone in your area will care for you and fill your band first. If not then that may help you decide. Try looking up a company called fill centers of america. If they dont have one there then all you can do is call the local offices and just tell them you have a band and want to know if they would consider filling it. If you admit not already having one then they will ALWAYS try to get your business which =$. Also keep in mind that you may not need that many fills, so dont let the cost of a fill keep you from going to MX. Get involved in a support group so you can learn from others mistakes.

Best wishes.

I used Dr. Corvala through Belite weight and had surgery at Hospital Angeles in Tijuana. Everything was very professional and I am happy with my decision.

I did line up good aftercare in my local area but had my first fill 7 weeks out in Tijuana. I actually spent 2 nights in the hospital, because I could, and I liked that it was a possibility for the extra care covered with no additional expense.

It was a great decision for me, but not for everyone. No matter where you go, find an experienced surgeon (1,000's of surgeries are always better than 100's) with a good reputation. If you go to Mexico, line up aftercare first.

TLCEdge in Dallas is running a lap band special right now for $9990, all inclusive except the psych eval ($250) and the cost of the pre-op diet (Optifast or Protein shakes). They have four surgeons they use, all of whom have private practices as well in the Dallas area and are very well known names.

I personally decided against going to Mexico because of how many people have trouble finding someone to do their fills and because of a long distance problem if there are complications.

I had my surgery in Mexcio as well (Dr. A-Rod, Monterrey) and would do it again, no questions asked. The only thing you have to realize is that having the surgery is just step one. Step two is your aftercare. Make sure you have a doctor in place to do your fills BEFORE you ever go over there. Depending on where you live, you may have problems finding a fill doctor. I live in rural East Texas. Even though there are bariatric practices within a hours drive of my home, the closest doctor who will do fills is a 3 hours drive away. I have had to take a very aggressive stance with my fills and I am finally beginning to see the scales move. You also have to realize because you go to Mexico you will not be on a pre-op diet like most people who have it done here, so at first your weight loss will not be as great as theirs. That has been a source of frustration for me because I compare myself to people who had their surgery about the same time I did. BUT, I didn't have to jump through hoops like insured people did...like having a psych eval, pre-op diet, etc. Its a trade-off. Just make sure you go into this with your eyes wide open. Hope this helps!

Im in Dallas, and lapband is just under $10K here too, and probably as good as the doc in Colorado.

Even with the cheaper price here, I choose to go to Juarez, it was a hop on a plane and they take care of you more and longer. I live alone and my parents are elderly, so I wanted the extra care I knew I would get in Mexico to lean on. There were 3 of us on the floor and 5 or 6 nurses and a doctor who came around besides my own to check on me.

In the U.S. they often send you home in a few hours and you are on your own.

I think it depends on your circumstances. I meet two gals at my fill doctor who had it done for $6K each, and doing well, even cheaper price than I paid. Prices are low in Mexico with more nursing care and after surgery care.

I am having my surgery done in Mexico by Dr. Kuri at Hospital Angeles in Tijuana on Dec. 5th. I have heard a lot of good about him and the staff at Hospital Angeles. I have an aunt who had the lapband surgery performed by him 4 years ago who lives in Seattle and she gets her fills done locally in Seattle. My surgery coordinator sent me a list of fill centers here in Florida with one that is only about 45 minutes away from my location. I am confident that I will have good service and well experience surgeon and staff performing my operation. I am a self pay as well which ultimately is why I made the decision to not have my surgery done locally.