Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

surgery embarrassing questions

i haven't yet decided if i'm going to do this or not, but i've got a couple questions i'm too embarrassed to ask during consultation or in person with bandster

1. this may sound stupid, but were you naked during the surgery or were you allowed to wear panties?

2. did you get the runs alot post-op?

ok, i feel really silly right now :wub:

I was completely naked under my gown. If you are on your cycle at surgery time, they will give you a pad and mesh panties.

I have only had loose stools once since surgery...it was after eating a scrambled egg that apparently didn't like me.

i haven't yet decided if i'm going to do this or not, but i've got a couple questions i'm too embarrassed to ask during consultation or in person with bandster

1. this may sound stupid, but were you naked during the surgery or were you allowed to wear panties?

ok, i feel really silly right now :tt1:

Answers for me:

1) Yes, you remove all clothes and put on a giant hospital gown. Mine was so big it was like I had an entire sheet wrapped around me. You do get to put on those sock booties so that your feet stay warm and you don't slip when you get up to walk.

2) No post-op runs at all. Matter of fact, anesthesia usually tends to shut down your intestines. That's why at some time post-op, a nurse will listen to your abdomen with a stethoscope to see if she can hear any sounds.

Your doctor has answered every question imaginable. Don't give asking your surgeon any question at all a second thought. That is what you are paying him or her for.

Good luck. I am 4 1/2 weeks post-op and loving it.

Marie715

I was able to wear panties but was told that they had to be 100% cotton.

As for the runs post-op no but I slept ALOT the first couple of days after surgery. But when I started eating in the mushies stage its like I stayed in the bathroom. The frequent BMs I was told was caused by your stomach being irritated. Now I have probs with constipation...any hints to help with that let me know :tt1: Hope this helps and your questions werent silly :)

I only wore a gown, but have had several surgerys and 3 babies, and didn't find that to be a problem.

I always have a problem with diarrhea. If your question is will you have to worry about that in the hospital, the answer was no, even for me. Once I was home and doing full liquids, I had occasional loose stools rather then regular BM's. Nothing major, each day was better and I was told before hand that I could take Imodium if it was a problem. Imodium makes my stomach hurt terribly so they said they could give me something else, but I never asked for anything, it wasn't bad enough. Like I said, diarrhea is a fact of life for me, so if I didn't have an accident, chances are you won't have any trouble at all.

One more thing, my daughter is a nurse, and she would not have a problem with any kind of bowel "accident". To her it is just a natural function and does not "gross her out" at all if she helps clean someone up. She is only 23, so I would imagine almost all nurses feel the same way. My own family knows to leave the bathroom door unlocked at all times if I'm having a "bad" day, but even that wasn't necessary after the surgery.

I know questions can be embarrasing, but once asked and answered, much of the embarrasment is gone. Push yourself to do this, even if you start with "I'm so embarrased to ask this" or "this is hard for me to ask, but..." You will feel SO much better, and be much more informed. IT helps your relationship with your bariatric center so you feel easier about calling with questions. My face has burned on more then one occasion, but I always left feeling relieved.

Don't forget to stock up on yogurt. It's often forgotten as help when you recieve antibiotics with your surgery. Once you are on full liquids, a couple of spoonfuls of yogurt will help also.

Good luck!

ok, i feel really silly right now :tt1:

Nah, don't feel silly! It's all good here.

1) - Probably you'll be naked (the issue is that they don't want even the slight chance of static electricity from the panties in an environment of flammable gasses). The gowns are spacious and offer personal privacy. Don't worry about possibly having your period...the OR nurses deal with this ALL the time. No big deal.

2) - Nope. If anything, the post-op diet combined with the pain meds left me a little constipated. TMI? No such a thing!! :)

I was in a gown until they knocked me out. I never thought about being nude, I guess I was, but it doesn't count if I can't remember it!

Yes I had the runs for two weeks post op (which is very unusual for me), but some people find the opposite and others no change to their regular routine. Everyone is different.

I was in a gown until they knocked me out. I never thought about being nude, I guess I was, but it doesn't count if I can't remember it!

Yes I had the runs for two weeks post op (which is very unusual for me), but some people find the opposite and others no change to their regular routine. Everyone is different.

I was nude aswell...ditto if you cant remember it, who cares!

Hows it going up there is QLD Noosagirl with those big bushfires??

I had a wonderful paper gown, which I had to remove for before pictures. :):tt1:

Was most likely on display during surgery as I had 4 surgeons (1 perform, 3 watch) plus the anastegialogist. No idea if there was an OR nurse or not.

I am on week 2 post op and have no bowel problems.

I was a little embarrassed about thinking of being nude on the table too, but not enough to not do the surgery!

Also, I think they cover you up and only have your stomach area revealed during surgery... at least that's what I think.

I was knocked out and won't see any of the people again except my surgeon. And I hardly see my surgeon anymore, usually just the nurses and office staff. Really, it will be fine!

I did have diarrhea, but it was from the Protein supplements. Both the soy and the whey were making me sick- even the vegan soy one! it didn't start until a week post op though- after it had built up in my system.

I was naked underneath the HUGE gown that they put me in. I was not allowed to keep on my undies. They give you sexy leggings to keep your circulation moving correctly. I did have the runs after surgery, but then again, I had the runs from the day I started the liquid pre-op diet until I started mushies. Liquid in, probably liquid out.

I was naked and thought I was going to have a catheter. Fortunately, my doc had recently stopped doing catheters for lap banding and about the last thing I remember before being knocked out was the nurse asking if he wanted her to insert one and him responding in the negative...BIG smile as I drifted off to sleep!!

Denise

completely down to the birthday suit as they like to say.. but keep in mind they cover everything that needs to be private with surgical drapings...

Also dont be embaressed.. the people who will be seeing you see naked people in the OR every day..... they do this for sterile reason.. clothing holds a lot or germs and bacteria thats why they dont want it in the OR

As for diarrhea, i got it really bad.... but thats because i got sick after surgery and got a Clostridium Difficle infection... but once i was put on the meds i was ok after a couple of days..:rolleyes2:

And never be embarresed to ask your surgeon anything.. i have talked to my surgeon about everything.. even things not related to surgery and he has answered them for me:blushing:.... no question is stupid... they are doctors, and its a part of thier job to make sure the patient is comfortable and well informed!!