Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone out there with Sutter Medical group i Sacramento Area?

I am shopping around. I am currently with Hills Physicians--6 month doctor supervised diet, nutritional consult, and behavioral consult BEFORE you are even considered for surgery!!! :ohmy:What is this purpose??? So, I am interested in finding out what Sutter medical Group requires. Finding out from them has proven futile as I'm not a member. :sad:Any one had experience with them? What hoops did you have to jump through??

I had my surgery at a Sutter hospital but I didn't go through PAMF, my normal medical group (they are owned by Sutter now). I went out on my own as a) my insurance allows that and :thumbup: I ended up self-pay.

Did you know you can appeal the 6 month diet and the DMHC (a group that oversees HMOs) will uphold your appeal. There is no peer-reviewed study that supports the 6 month physician supervised diet as improving outcomes.

Here is a link to their site:

Home

Could I ask the name of the surgeon you had at Sutter Sacto? I'm hoping to get my Sutter Regional in Vacaville to get the ok for Sutter Sacto or Roseville to do my surgery.

It was in SF, not Sac. Sutter owns EVERYTHING in the Bay Area now, I swear! :thumbup:

I go to PAMF and Sutter owns them now. The way it works at PAMF is that your PCP refers you to the Bariatric center. Then they are supposed to give you a group appointment. That's as far as I got. My neighbor used them for his RnY though and he did lose 50 lb. before he had surgery. He was doing classes and meeting with the nutritionist.

I had trouble getting my group appointment because my insurance has an exclusion and the Bariatric center wouldn't return my calls. So I went outside the group. I had my surgery with LapSF and used CPMC in SF. They are also a Sutter company, but LapSF is independent. LapSF also does surgery other places, but not in the Sac area. They do "clinic" and suport groups out there but you'd have to come to SF for your actual surgery.

Hi,

The Sutter guys in the Sacramento area are Steven Patching--his office is on Howe Avenue, and he does his surgeries in the Sutter hospitals in downtown Sacramento, and Dr. Waldrep at Sutter Roseville. Both have lots of positive reviews, but Waldrep has COUNTLESS rave reviews. Everyone loves him! I have alos read reports of Sutter Roseville's bariatric department treating patients like they're in a spa!

Thanks for the answers. I'm trying to push for Waldrep or Machado in Roseville if possible. My insurance covers both and I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!!

Hello! I just had my lapband surgery on 1/21 at Sutter General with Dr Patching. My experience with him has been very good and very frustrating. Here is what I have determined..

He holds you accountable to do your part. If you are not willing to diet/exercise prior and after the surgery, he will not do it. This is the right approach I believe. The doctor in Roseville apparently does not operate like this and will do the surgery regardless of the patients commitment to change.

Dr Patching has a great reputation as a surgeon and actually teaches this procedure at UC Davis Medical school. I can put up with a small lack of bedside manner for technical expertise.

There is lots of support available through his office. Stacy, his coordinator, is amazing. There are support groups etc.

Overall, I would do it again

I had my lapband done by Dr. Waldrep in Roseville. He also has a lot of hoops to jump through and there is a strong commitment to aftercare. Patients have to sign a pledge to commit to life-long aftercare and for doing their part. I cose not to go with Dr. Patching because I felt his approach is a bit patronizing and authortarian. I am not a child and don't need to be told to lose X amount of pounds before surgery. If I could have done that, I wouldn't be needing the surgery. However, if you feel comfortable with someone doing that to you, I respect your choice and wish you the best.

Along with thousands of other patients, I came through my procedure with Dr. Waldrep with flying colors and I am very glad of the choice I made. I wouldn't have had it any other way. Before you knock another surgeon, you may want to ask his patients what their experience was like. I have spoken to some of Patching's patients and they have very mixed reviews. I have not heard one negative comment about Dr. Waldrep.

I'm glad you had a good experience and that is all that matters after all. I heard the information about Dr Waldrep from staff at the hospital so it sounds like it was incorrect. Thanks for pointing it out.

Could I ask the name of the surgeon you had at Sutter Sacto? I'm hoping to get my Sutter Regional in Vacaville to get the ok for Sutter Sacto or Roseville to do my surgery.

I am just starting the process with Sutter/HealthNet. You MUST go to Roseville for everything. And I have to go through TONS of paperwork, tests. I would like to talk to people who have already had surgery, I have many questions. Can anyone help me out, is there a group in Sacramento to visit?

I am shopping around. I am currently with Hills Physicians--6 month doctor supervised diet, nutritional consult, and behavioral consult BEFORE you are even considered for surgery!!! :ohmy:What is this purpose??? So, I am interested in finding out what Sutter medical Group requires. Finding out from them has proven futile as I'm not a member. :sad:Any one had experience with them? What hoops did you have to jump through??

I am with Sutter/HealthNet. If your not a member are you paying for all this yourself? I am just starting and was given a referal to a doctor in Roseville, it is not done down here if you have Sutter/HealthNet. You have to go to a group, they take pictures, weigh you and give you a ton of other paperwork to fill out, also papers for labs, you have to get all that done turn back all the paperwork you have to sign and go to another group BEFORE you have the consult with the surgeon, then he decides if are are able to have it.

Hello! I just had my lapband surgery on 1/21 at Sutter General with Dr Patching. My experience with him has been very good and very frustrating. Here is what I have determined..

He holds you accountable to do your part. If you are not willing to diet/exercise prior and after the surgery, he will not do it. This is the right approach I believe. The doctor in Roseville apparently does not operate like this and will do the surgery regardless of the patients commitment to change.

Dr Patching has a great reputation as a surgeon and actually teaches this procedure at UC Davis Medical school. I can put up with a small lack of bedside manner for technical expertise.

There is lots of support available through his office. Stacy, his coordinator, is amazing. There are support groups etc.

Overall, I would do it again

If I get the ok from Waldrep, he will be doing my surgery. Have you had any kind of problems, does the port stick out or bother you, what kind of food can you eat after?

I am starting the process to be banded, I am looking for a support group to go to, I have many questions, which were not really covered in the group to start the process, can anyone help out?

Hi, I had my suurgery at Sutter Roseville in January. I was very pleased. All the surgeons requier the paperwork--lots of hoops unfortunately. Dr. Waldrep's group at Sutter Roseville have monthly Lap Band support meetings. You will be required to attend one before surgery as oneof your pre-op requirements. The next one is this Saturday from 10-12. You may as well attend if you're serious about getting the surgery. I would be happy to talk to you about my experience so far.