Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

whole wheat spaghetti

is whole wheat spaghetti a good idea with some ground turkey mixed in or too many carbs/not enough Protein? im just looking for something different tonight for dinner! any ideas...send 'em my way!

I don't know if it's a good idea or not, but I tried to get my family to eat whole wheat spaghetti and we all thought it tasted horrible. What brand do you use? If I can find a tasty one, maybe I will succeed in my Quest.< /p>

i've not found a whole wheat Pasta that didn't taste like cardboard. since i don't eat it often, i went for taste & found ronzoni "smart taste" to be a current staple. higher in Protein & Fiber than most; it tastes just like "mom's" pasta dishes.

Luluc, congrats on completing the 5k and on your amazing weight loss.

we were told to be careful of any spaghetti because of its shape. dietician said something about it being hard to get down, said it will bunch up on top of the band and has to change direction before it will go down. maybe that is a precaution. she said to try other shapes (rotini, elbow, etc).

let me know if you had any trouble with any spaghetti. i'm italian so its a big deal around our house.

thanks!

Luluc, congrats on completing the 5k and on your amazing weight loss. !

thank you ...!

i'm half italian myself and really didn't introduce Pasta into the diet till i was 6 months in. of the type of ronzoni i mentioned, i prefer the rotini or penne....they are much smaller in size than the regular brands. a little goes a long way.

I find I can eat spaghetti, but any shaped Pasta like bow ties or penne or rigatone, ugh, lol. I can eat it but it's harder.

I dont eat too many pasa dishes that are Protein free - and i try to stay away from creamy sauces too apart from the odd treat if we eat out.

Usually we make a good old bolognaise, ground beef, some finely grated zucchini and carrot and lots and lots of Tomato sauce so its quite moist. With some parmeson shaved on top, yummy. I tend to go easy on the Pasta (probably 1/3 of a cup) and heavier on the sauce.

I also LOVE bolognaise sauce on sauteed zucchini ribbons. I actually like it better than pasta.

Love whole wheat and whole grain pasta! I use it in everything that calls for Pasta. I think it has a really good flavor. My FIL does not like whole wheat Pasta but my MIL found RICE pasta (I think it's brown rice) and FIL really likes that. Might want to look into that if you're not big on whole wheat. I haven't tried it yet but plan on it.

Barilla makes a multi grain Pasta that is a lot more palatable than whole wheat. It is also enriched with Protein and Omega-3. Perfect for bandsters. I just limit the size of the portion. The sauce and topping is what I focus on, but as far as pasta goes, it's all I use now....

I have a really hard time getting the Pasta down. Or stay down. No matter how much I chew chew chew. I seem to get stuck. Does the whole grain or wheat pastas go down easier???

Depends on how healthy a choice you want to make.

When buying whole wheat Pasta, it should say 100% Whole Wheat. A lot of labeling is very tricky and it is actually a blend. Sometimes they even will use the word blend.

I am currently (well before pre-op diet) living a low glycemic diet. Meaning I avoid anything with processed flour in it.

I can honestly tell you it has been the easiest and best tasting "diet" of my life. And, will remain this way.

Before, I even decided to look into getting the Lap-band, I had lost 30 lbs! Just eating healthy! Avoiding bad carbs!

Anyway.... Wal-Mart's whole wheat pasta is pretty damn good for the price. Make sure and cook whole wheat pasta longer and brown rice for that matter.

Whole Foods has a brand called 365. It is good too.