Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recovery Time..after Lap Band Removal?

I had my lap band done feb 2006. The first couple of years went great then I began to have pain & issues with the band. After several issues the nurse would not let me be seen again unitl I went to another one of there lap band classes/ frustraed I decided this is how I guess I will always have to feel- nausted, in pain and overall not healthy anymore. This lastyear has been the worst, I no longer could eat without trowing up- and that includes Water. My health was deterioration quickly. I finally called his office and stated I had no choice but to be seen now- after many blood works and ultrasounds later I was told they must remove the band right away as it seems to be erroding.

I had the removal Oct 26th. This was by far the worst hospiotal experience I have ever had. It felt like I was in a meat market. When I woke from the procedure I was being yelled at across the room form nurses that I needed to breath as thats why my machine was beeping= I was then seen by a woman no iadea who she was only that she wanted to know who was there to pick me up- she came back shortly, pulled me up by my arms and grabbed my sholders throwing me into the wheel chair. I was welled outside where my ride was waititng- she did not assit ot get me in the car siging and tapping her foot as to be so impatuient that I was taking up her time.

After home the pain was unbearable, the pain pills did absolutely nothng to help- I cried for hours as I was in so much pain and comfused as to what they had done to make this so painful. My son had to clean me up as the blood was not cleaned off of me- they had cut my face during sugery and my mouth was covered in blood- the wounds looked horrible with black & blue marks and blood left running down my stomach. I called the doc back 2 days later on Friday to voice my concerns- je stated well we had to go through the same insicions we did when the band was first put in & that can cause pain & that I should be fine shortly.

Ok so its now officially 7 days and 10 hours since my surgery I am unable to function- the pain is making me craxzy- I cannlt cough or sneeze for the fear that the pain at the port site will tear- I am crying myslef to sleep and the doctor contunues to state this is just fine/

I am seriously confused here- when I had the band put in I went back to work 3 days later wiht no issues- now I feel like I am dying and they think this is normal?

anyone else go througn this?

Hi All I am seeing about having my lap band removed after 3 years of struggle. I did lose 70 pounds but have another 80 to go. I can only work a sedentary job because of arthritis. My bariatric doctors act like I am a failure and are trying to discourage me. I see on the media that other people are coming to the same conclutions and having their bands removed as well.

I want to follow up with a gastric bypass, is there a forum for this? I would like to talk to other people who have gone through thisgrouphug.gif

I am getting my lap band out this thursday (3/15) hooray! I am so excited. I have had problems the whole 3 1/2 years I've had it. My only concern is my recovery since I watch my nephew on the following Monday and Wednesday (he's 13 months) and I am hoping I will still be able to do so without being in too much pain.

Otherwise I am so so so happy!

I am having my band removed tomorrow morning, I have had it for almost 9 months completely empty but it was tight the whole time. I am very sad it did not work for me but I knew it going in and wanted to try anyway. The stuck, tight, burping, not being able to eat and talk at the same time and the pain always in pain. The doctor wanted to put a bigger band in or talk about the sleeve or bypass but I am done from now on I can and will do this on my own. Thank you all for the support

I had my Lapband for a year and 3mths and had it removed march 10 because i developed celluilitis around my port site. I opted on the removal because my health and life are more important. I have lost 70 lbs and i have learned great eating habits I exercise regularly and I feel very good about myself. I have no regrets having the band put in or even removed. my doc has me on a clear liquid diet for one week then full liquid then soft foods as if i had the band in. I have no doubt that I will lose about another 30lbs. Losing weight is mind of matter.. You have to train yourself to have self control.. food is like a drug and it can be addictiing. I learned alot having my band in and I refuse to allow my self to be weak and subject my self to bad eating habits and an un healthly life style.. good luck to all who are thinking about getting the band or having it removed.. stay focused amd motivate yourself!!!! God Bless

I had my band out 4 days ago. There was a lot of scar tissue and I bled following the op and had to go back to theatre the next day. I will be going home tomorrow. This has knocked me for six. I plan to have next week off work.

Dear Tinalpn - couldn't agree with you more ! Had my band in 14 yrs ago and regained most of weight 4-5 Years later. Over two years ago decided enough was enough and just started eating sensibly, no alcohol. The weight fell off. It's been a life style change NOT a diet.. I don't believe the band had been helping for several years and recently discovered it has eroded. Had the band out 4 days ao. Feeling a bit rough but determined NOT to regain any weight.

Dear Tinalpn - couldn't agree with you more ! Had my band in 14 yrs ago and regained most of weight 4-5 Years later. Over two years ago decided enough was enough and just started eating sensibly' date=' no alcohol. The weight fell off. It's been a life style change NOT a diet.. I don't believe the band had been helping for several years and recently discovered it has eroded. Had the band out 4 days ao. Feeling a bit rough but determined NOT to regain any weight.[/quote']

Best of luck to you... It's been 5 days since I have had mine out, still a little sore on my left side but getting around good.. Started my Protein shake makes me feel so much better :) as soon as i am cleared by the doctor off to the gym I go.. I can't wait.. On a mission to lose at least 15 more lbs this time with no band!!! Take care

It's out! I had the band removed last week. The surgery went fine, and I took 3 days off of work. A big help is using a pillow to press against my stomach when I sit or stand up. The day after the removal, I stuck to liquids and moved to soft food the next day. I find it best to bring my own lunch to work now so I have no gastric upset. It's good to have a bland, low fat, non-greasy food while healing. I love being able to eat and not feel like belching or vomiting.

Good luck everyone.

I'm having mine out in a couple weeks and very nervous. I have had it 9 years. What pain meds did you take after? I am very sensitive to pain meds and breastfeeding so would like to try only Ibuprofen. Wondering your thoughts? I hope this is my last surgery ever.

When I had my first band removed it was due to a slip, I was told it would be a night in the hospital and a couple days of taking it easy, but I had a horrible erosion and ended up in the hospital for 9 days! :-/ Hopefully that's not the case for anyone else. I was rebanded a year later but after how awful it's been I'm getting this one out in May and revising to a sleeve. Hopefully this removal goes smoother than the last one!!

I had band removed almost 3 weeks ago still dont feel so good still have that menthol feeling in my throat and tongue and my stomache always feels bloated really nervous has anyone felt this way after removal? Had band 4 1/2 years

OMG the horror stories I am reading makes me nervous I had mine removed almost 3 weeks ago having the band 41/2 years I'm still not feeling to good heartburn menthol feeling in my throat and tongue bloated feeling in the pit of my stomache incisions still bother me can't eat too much get heartburn all the time never had this while having the band in, so upset going to make appt with the gastro doctor called my surgeon office they never call back a little frustrating really upset.