Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Surgery Diet (September 29 Bander)

Hi All,

I was banded on Monday and I have lost about 12 pounds. I just moved to full liquids today, but I feel good enough to try pureed. What do you think? I have had a couple of Protein drinks, and even tried a tiny tiny bit of creamy mashed potatoes (I mean tiny). All systems ok. Can you share your experiences. I would really like to taste some real food.

i would follow exactly what your doctors says!! This is a healing process and doing things 2 early can hurt the band! Call your doctor and see what they say about u moving to pureed foods i wouldnt do it before u speak to ur doctor...i have to do 3 weeks full liquid 2 weeks pureed and 1 week soft food..after i saw my doctor after 2 weeks he moved me 2 pureed food...dont do it unless ur doctor says u can...good luck

NO Please don't! When you digest food (anything but liquids) your stomach churns like a little washing machine. It helps break down the food for transport to the intestines. Since your band is lightly sutured into place, (skin from your stomach is actually pulled up or down over it and tacked down) you can see how a stomach churning before things heal can easily pull out some or all of your stitches. Then you have slippage and/or erosion and worst case may be back in the OR.

It's great you feel well, but do what your doc says when he says to do it and you'll heal and position yourself for a worry free band experience!

I really wouldn't. My doctor has one of the most lenient post op eating schedules I know of, and he wouldn't allow that yet, either. Contact you doctor, but it really sounds like a bad idea.

I would follow what your doctor says. Mine is a little more lenient than most I see on here but I am going by him and not others. I only have to do a week of full liquids and then a week of mushies, which includes the taters u mentioned.

I am not sure what happens then since I meet with him again for my 2 weeks apt a week from this tue and I will get more info then

I was banded on 9/24 and after 8 days my doctor said I could have well-cooked oatmeal (I have the Quaker 1-min kind and add a tbsp of sugar-free jelly), creamed Soups, yogurt and cottage cheese. I have been eating those things with no problem or stomach churning at all, but everyone's system is different. I feel I have a lenient doctor, from what I've heard from others, but its working for me. I'm not saying what you should do, but if you try some things I listed, just have a couple of spoonfulls and see how you feel. Have you been having sugar-free Jello and popsicles - if not, they're safe from day one! Good luck to you!

I would follow your doctors orders...although you may feel fine on the outside, your inside is not healed yet and moving stages too early can lead to band problems.

I have had the band for 5 yrs and post op diet was liquids for a week and mushy after. I don't see anything wrong with it just go slow and see how it feels. It teaches you to chew well and take small bites. You will see yourself filling with just a couple tablespoons of food. When you think you are ok then use a special cup that measures a half cup of food and blend with Water and yogurt. Its liquid and fulfills that hunger. I ate what my family ate just as a liquid. Secret is to change your lifestyle habits, cook healthy for family. God Bless