Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my surgery on Sept 10th and am so bummed out right now:crying:. The past two weeks my weight loss has slowed drastically! The first two weeks I lost 7lbs per week. Then, in the 3rd week I only lost 1 pound!! (During that 3rd week I had lots of ups and downs on the scale.) And I have been pretty much the same for this 4th week! I am just wondering, why is it that I am eating WAY less calories then I did before my surgery, and WAY healthier and exercising WAAAY more, and i'm not dropping weight like crazy?! Shouldnt me doing that (regardless of surgery) be enough to make me lose more then what I am? I havent had any fills yet (first one scheduled for Oct 16th:thumbup:), and I hope things will get a little better after that. *sigh* ...I guess i've been looking at other peoples progress a little too much...I have seen lots of people who have lost lots of weight the first month and maybe i'm comparing myself to them too much. Is my weight loss "normal"? Does anyone have any tips or advice they can give me to maybe help up my weight loss? Also, how often do weigh yourself? I weigh myself daily...its kinda getting addicting to see if I have lost any weight..but I get so depressed if I have gained anything (which has been happening alot these past 2 weeks:sad:). Someone PLEASE help me!! :crying:

This is normal..i was banded 9/8 and am at a stall...its called bandster hell until we get our fills and hit are sweet spot...dont be upset or discouraged u did this for a good reason and the weight wll come off in due time...good luck

Hun, It gets better. you need to realize you haven't had a fill yet. I was told over and over again that this is the healing stage, If you lose weight in it it's a plus Your real weight loss will come when you start getting your fills. for now don't worry just heal and remember slow and steady wins the race.

Edited by kimaly

The only thing I can think of is that you aren't eating enough. If you are excersing and everything you have to make sure that you have enough fuel in your body or your body will shut down. I personally live on the Protein Shakes, I have two a day and very little of anything else, maybe a tablespoon or 2 of mashed potatoes or green Beans. I know that my doctor said that if you are working out then you definately need to make sure you are getting enough Protein. Maybe this will help. It will all be worth it in the end it is just going to take time. Don't discouraged...

My experience has been that you will have many times along your journey when you will loose weight and there will be weeks that you will not lose weight. In either case you may be doing the same program of eating and exercising.

It is also natural to get discourage so you began to look for NSV (non scale victories). In my case I have gone from a 54 inch waist to a 38 inch waist. I used to take diabetes medicine now I don't. So it is not always about the weight loss

Take care.

Yayforme--

I was 222 at intake and down to 201 at banding on 3/19. I lost 11lbs in 2 weeks after banding and I was put on a VERY strict diet of broth, skim milk and sugar free frozen pops for the first MONTH!! Even though I was EXCELLENT w/my diet (no sugar, starch, fruit--about 1100 calories a day) I stalled like crazy over the summer. I'm now 164. Yes---I have been disappointed. I thought I'd be close to goal weight by now. BUT--there is another way I am looking at this. I have lost nearly 60lbs this year. I feel SO MUCH better! I sleep better! I look better! I'm off all my medications! I can go to the beach and walk! I had to give away all my clothes and buy new ones! People can't get over the difference in me. And that's just the beginning. I could go on and on. The bottom line is --- I know I would be more than 222 right now if I had NOT done this. I remember (well) when I was your age that I was sure all I had to do was go on a diet for a few weeks or so and I'd be down to goal weight in no time. That isn't what happened. I've been yo-yo dieting ever since I was 22. By the time I was 56 -- all I had to show for it was 222lbs---a bunch of prescription pills--and several weight related medical problems. I understand your frustration -- and I wish it would come off faster too ---- BUT---if you just hang in there with us --- you are going to see your own weight loss patterns and then you'll understand how your body works this process. You may not care for the speed of it -- but you WILL lose the weight and you will be very happy. Stick to it -- and you won't have to go through the next 34 years battling weight and health problems. Oh yes---1 more thing that is really good (!!!)---since I have been losing more slowly (and because I apparently have good genes) my skin is tightening! It appears that even at my age --I'm not going to have any or much loose skin. So that's a nice consolation prize.

You can do this! Best wishes.

Edited by Desdemona

I TOTALLY understand! I am about 2 1/2 weeks post op and I have lost very very little since surgery. I am tracking everything I am eating and I know I am getting less than 800 calories per day, so I am very frustrated too! I did lose about 12 lbs on my preop diet though, so I am thinking my body is just trying to catch up from that. I have lost about 5 lbs since surgery and that was all in the first 2-3 days after surgery, since then NADA!

I know lots of people say this is considered "Bandster Hell", but I don't necessarily agree that is what we are experiencing. I am not overly hungry and I do still feel restriction after I eat, so that isn't the problem. Just that I am eating so much less and can't seem to get the scale to budge!! I don't think a fill is going to change that. I am trying to stay positive and hope that once I can get back to eating normal type foods again, my body will get going again. I am just hoping it is the surgery, liquids, mushy/soft food stage etc that is causing my body to freak out and hang onto my "baggage", lol!! I also think I am going to try to up my calories a little too...which is probably going to start to become more natural b/c I can start eating more foods as time goes on.

Good luck to you and I know how you are feeling! Keep it up and I am sure we will all have success soon!

Amy

Getting too few calories can keep you from losing. I stalled out for a couple of weeks after moving to soft foods. I was getting 700-800 calories a day. Once I got myself to 1000 or more, the weight started dropping off again.

And consider only weighing yourself once a week. I started out weighing myself every day right after surgery, because it was so exciting to see the pounds coming off. But after a couple of weeks, when things slow down, it is just frustrating to weigh daily. There are going to be daily fluctuations - up and down - in your weight for a myriad of reasons. So don't set yourself up for frustration by weighing daily.

I was the same way, and still have some weeks like that. I will plateau and sometimes its up a pound or two, but then drops the next week. I was at a stall all last week and now I've dropped 4 pounds this week. You just never know just keep up the hard work.:crying:

At least you know you are not alone.

I was banded on the 10th and I started pre-op on August 25th. By Sept. 22nd I had lost 27lbs. Guess what? I think I've actually gained a few and I get around 900-1100 calories a day.

I don't care though because I know it's going to work for me. It just might be a little slower now.

Im not sure its possible to lose 7 lbs in a week, that isnt mostly Water weight which fluctuates. 14 lbs in 2 weeks and then only 1 lb as your body catches up and you are discouraged?

You need to burn 3500 calories for each lb lost. If you ate nothing all week you wouldnt actually lose 7 lbs of fat in a week. 15 lbs in a month shouldnt discourage you at all if you are holding it off.

Don't worry I'm 5 weeks out and only down 17 lbs. 15 lbs the first 7 days. Once I started to eat real food it slowed down alot. The Dr. said I might gain but I did not. Thursday Oct. 9, is my first fill and I'm hoping it will make a difference. I only eat a cup of food. My Protein, vegetable and no room for anything else. I could probably eat more but I stop myself. when I get off the table I am so full. I on the other hand have a hard time not drinking liquids before, during and after meals. I still sip Water. Which is a NO, No. I feel maybe that is why I'm not losing that much. Not sure. Also I get hungry ever 3 hours. I drink a Protein Drink to fill me up. It's okay. Hope and Pray after the fill I will be dropping the weight. Good Luck to you also. I will keep in touch after the fill. Aloha! :crying:

I am losing about 2 lbs a week and post op two months. When I plateau and I have a few times, I eat a tad more, then cut back and the weight loss starts again. Never above 1500 calories and mostly 1200 a day.

I went through this stall too, it is our bodies going into shock of not getting the calories it was used to. So our bodies tries to hold on to the weight, remember that is our bodies back up energy, after it figures out that this is all the calories it is going to get, it readjusts, and the weight starts to come off, I was stalled at the same weight for 2 weeks, and was very discouraged, but after that it started falling off about 2 lbs a week. Just hang in there, it will get better, and we didn't gain it all over night, I have even had cheesecake and Pasta when we went to the Olive Garden and I am still losing.

Veronica

Dont be discouraged

your in the very early stages of banding

and dont weigh yourself every day our weight fluctuates due to Fluid hormones etc

weighing daily will set you up for frustration

dont let your calories drop below 1000 you need to eat enough not starve your body

many get frustrated in the early days:crying:

I think a lot of us...me included....dont actually realise the band isnt an instant cure its only a tool

im just over 1 yr banded and have lost 134lbs and goal weight is getting close and yes had a couple of plateaus in this time but be patient and be kind to yourself it does work for you but you have to work with it too

take it easy and relax and hide those scales:lol:

Leeanne