Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Answer Me This...

Ok subject matter experts here. I have a question.

I had my first fill this morning (4 cc into my 10 cc band). I've had the sensation of being way over full with that pressure between my breasts most of the day, even though I haven't had any PB's and have been able to sip Water most of the day. The pressure eased since this morning as well.

About 10 minutes ago I got hiccups. Now I don't feel the pressure anymore, AND I can feel the Water getting through the constriction.

Anyone else have that? How funny! I've felt food get through the "funnel" all along and have thought it cool and my way of keeping track of how much to eat, but this is really the coolest (and weirdest).

lol....I know just how you feel. Just make sure you chew chew chew. When you start to get tight, take a break. For me the hickups mean I ate a bit too much too quickly. I try not to get the hiccups cause I am afraid that they may be harmful in a 'slippage' kind of way.

I am happy for you!

Yeah, I don't know what it is about hiccups but when I'm feeling a little stuck I'll sometimes get the hiccups....and it clears right up!?

As for your fresh fill giving you some weird discomfort, just a word of wisdom for you and that is to proceed slowly and carefully over these next two weeks. It can take that long to feel the final effect of the fill. Mine get progressively tighter for 10 days or longer.

Why does the band get progressively tighter? I would think (in theory at least) that it would get more loose the longer it's been since your last fill?

I had a fill 4 days ago, but I feel I can eat pretty regularly. I even had 2 pieces of pizza for lunch. I called the doc's office, and all they said was not to eat bread. (???) What kind of advice is that? Should I call again and re-explain it or what? I have no idea how the bread factors in.:)

Yeah, I don't know what it is about hiccups but when I'm feeling a little stuck I'll sometimes get the hiccups....and it clears right up!?

As for your fresh fill giving you some weird discomfort, just a word of wisdom for you and that is to proceed slowly and carefully over these next two weeks. It can take that long to feel the final effect of the fill. Mine get progressively tighter for 10 days or longer.

This is why I come to you who have gone before me. I needed this advice. I actually had my first (and G-d willing ONLY) PB yesterday. Nothing dramatic, but just enough to really shake me up.

I discovered today that I needed to go back to the full liquid and very smooth pureed food to stay comfortable. I did have some smooth whitefish salad for lunch, but only about two tablespoons worth in VERY small bites. I felt a touch of pressure, but it all went down. I am able to get my pudding down straight from the container (I have to use that to take one of my meds that doesn't come in a chewable or liquid, and the little things inside the capsules don't EVER melt, I swear, LOL).

Thanks so much to everyone. I do appreciate your responses. I'd also heard that the effects of the fill may not be fully felt for a few days, so now I know. For a while I wasn't even sure I had a band in, but man do I know now! And I've lost a couple pounds since it was filled on Thursday, and that was the idea behind all this after all!

Blessings and best to everyone here.

Why does the band get progressively tighter? I would think (in theory at least) that it would get more loose the longer it's been since your last fill?

I had a fill 4 days ago, but I feel I can eat pretty regularly. I even had 2 pieces of pizza for lunch. I called the doc's office, and all they said was not to eat bread. (???) What kind of advice is that? Should I call again and re-explain it or what? I have no idea how the bread factors in.:tt1:

I don't know why it gets progressively tighter over a period of days (for some people), but it does.

Why did you call your doc? Because you can eat regularly? Well, that would not be all that unusual for the stage you are in .... you may need 3-4 fills before feeling 'good' restriction! As for the no eating bread...that is actually very good advice. For the most part it is empty calories. You should be focusing on changing your eating habits toward nutrition packed foods: Think Protein + veggies for every meal.

Sorry, but I left out part of the story. When I was in the office for a fill, the doc asked me what I usually eat for Breakfast, and I told him a PB&J sandwich. He said that was good and that sandwiches are a good thing to be eating. So that's why I was confused when his asst. called back and said no bread. Conflicting info, ya know. I will try the 'no bread' rule and keep a journal until my next visit. Wish me luck. And thanks!