Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Stories

Here we are!!!! October is here and we all want to hear how your surgery experience went. Everyone's experience is different. What happened during your story. What are you glad you did? What do you wish you could have done different? How was your doctor? Nursing staff? Hospital?

Tell us all about it!!!!

Edited by julie.ann

My surgery went pretty well. We live 1 1/2 hours away so left at 4 am and arrived at 5:30 am. Checked in, met the nurses, changed, had a swap out of the leg things due to a study being done on a new style, got my IV, met the doctors, got rolled in, and woke up to my husband talking to me. :tt2:

I did have some nausea which showed itself during the x-ray ( I threw up the nasty liquid!) and I've been pretty sore the last few days but it's getting better and I'm moving better. I did wake up and wonder what the heck I did but I'm glad I did it! I haven't been hungry until today but have been drinking broth, Water and soupy, blended oatmeal. I've also been adding Benefiber to everything I eat.

Glad your feeling better, I have just started to be a bit hungry. I'm a bit weak because up until today I really couldn't eat..but DH bought me some Weight Watchers Smooth & Creamy White chocolate Cheesecake and I almost ate the entire thing (prob 1/2 cup) I'll try some broth in an hour or so, and I'll try to start my Isopure today.

I just came home from the hospital and am really tired and pretty weak. Thank G-d it went really well. I didn;t have too much pain except from the gass which I walked off. Last night I was teh only one who really slept in my room. I was in a 4 person room. My roomates were really nice if u are here anyone from NYU last night hi!!! I woke up and was in pain this morning but I waited till closer till when I was going to leave to take something since I wanted to not be in pain when I went up my stairs at home and for the car ride home. I am soooo glad I did the surgery. I am already less hungry and I feel good just weak since I am just a day out. I am going to lay down now but will write more later.

Ok today is the first day I've really felt like doing anything and I have tons of posting to do to catch up. LOL lets not even talk about what my house looks like!

First off I had my surgery at Beaumont Surgical Affliates in Beaumont, TX my Surgeon(s) where Dr. Stan Hahn and Dr. Hsu. Friday was the first day Dr. Hahn had done surgeries at BSA but everything still went very well. The staff was great, I arrived at 6:30 and they took blood, pressure, temp etc and changed me into a lovely gown and wrapped my legs and put on the inflation cuffs they use. I was started on IV antibiotics as well as fluids and given a anti-clotting shot in my stomach about 2 hours before surgery. I went into surgery about 9:30-9:45 and I awoke about 1:00 to several of the nurses checking me. I took a bit longer than the norm because they had to work around old scar tissue from a gallbladder surgery years ago. I received a large band (I'm using Lap-Band) and have seven incissions. Two things surprised me when I woke up, one I didn't realize heartburn could be THAT bad (and I've had some killer HB in the past) and two I didn't know I was going to get a cath, that so didn't thrill me. I was given something right away for the hearburn pain and fussed over for another 30 min or so then since I was wide awake and not feeling to bad they asked if I wanted to go to the other room and sit in a big comfy chair. I drank fluids as well as received them IV. After another hour or so Dr. Hahn came in and went over what my at home instructions where and I got up and walked around and changed, removed the cath and came home. I was given three RX's all liquid, I haven't needed the regulan yet as my stomach has been fine.

Wow! Thanks for posting. I'm glad everyone seems to be doing so well....I can't wait! Its nice to learn what to expect from you!:wub:

Ditto Julie Ann,

I really enjoyed this post, it is nice to see everyone is doing well and getting over the hurdles out there.:tt1:

i have been reading surgery stories on here and am so glad that i finally have one to post.

My surgery was 10/7 at Emerson Hospital in Concord, MA I got there at 7 am for 8:30 surgery and they started getting me ready. IV, blood thinning shot, etc. The surgeon was running late but we got moving at about 8:50. I remember being wheeled down the hall and talking with a nurse (she had gone to my high school) next thing i know i'm waking up in recovery. had some soreness and a headache. Love the self-regulated morphine drip :D No nausea thank god, they gave me a patch to wear the night before (like a seasickness) patch and put anti-nausea meds in my IV. I actually felt great, just sleepy and thirsty. i couldn't have anything to drink until the next day when they did the tests.

the only problem i had was with my heart rate. when i went this summer for my pre-op testing i found out i had a low heart rate (45) so anyway my heart rate kept dropping below 40 and it would set off the alarms and the nurses would come running. i felt fine but the ending up moving me to the CCU for the night so they could monitor it. the next morning they took me for a chest x-ray and upper gi then ordered me a tray thank god!!! i had Water, broth and Jello they gave me 2 meals to make sure i kept it down and then let me go home!

overall it was a very positive experience! the nurses were all wonderful and i had minimal to no pain.

Best of luck to everyone who is still waiting to be banded! I hope you have as positive an experience as i did!

Hello everyone.

I ended up having the RNY on 10/14 with Dr. Scott Steinberg at Dekalb Medical center. I arrived at 10am, IV, shot and paperwork were done and my hubby and I waited. Then, the nurse came in and told me we were going EARLY!! So, I was wheeled into the OR, the orderlies made me laugh! They were so great. I got onto the OR bed and totally freaked out!!! I began crying, and the OR nurse was soo sweet, she wiped away my tears and even prayed with me, she was just so awesome.

I woke up in the recovery room with a little pain and really cold, but they were great with keeping me warm and giving me pain meds.

I really enjoyed the morphine pump! :cool2: That was soooo nice, I am glad they took it away, I could totally get hooked on it.

I spent 2 days in the hospital, everyone was nice, but it is even nicer to be at home.:smile: I am dying from the gas pains, but I walked a mile today, which really did help.:frown:

:thumbup:Surgery over with!!:smile:

I had my surgery last week, October 10. I went into surgery in Springfield Ma at around 130pm, which made that a very long day. I got my IV shot for blood thinning and some routine test work done then off to surgery I went. I woke up in alot of pain but the nurses really took great care of me. I had more pain in the days to come form all the gas they put in my belly, did anyone else have that problem?

.....down 11 from last week

Glowlite I did...I felt like someone had beat me in the stomach but started to feel human again first part of this week (had the surgery Oct 3) I still have a few minor aches and pains but it's nothing major.

My surgery was last Thursday, the 16th. Can't say enough about how nice and helpful all the staff was at St. Barnabas hospital. My surgery was pushed back four hours, so I had several IV bags. But once I was in the OR room, they were so sweet and the next thing I knew I was in recovery. Very little pain. The oxygen up my nose was the worst thing. My roommate came in a few hours after me, we had the same surgeon. She was lovely.

I really liked the morphine drip, but barely needed it. Mostly for the gas pain in my shoulder. My husband stayed overnight to get me anything I needed, although the nurses were on top of everything.

I'm back to work today. Still feeling a little dizzy (I guess from anesthesia?), but otherwise okay.

10-24 was my surgery. I went in at 5:30 a.m. and surgery at 7:30. I was stressing b/c I went to the bathroom before I went in. Yep, I go in and they wanted me to do a freaking pg test. aaaaaaaaaagh, I'm 40 and my dh has a vasectomy.

So I had to wait for the IV drip to add to my Fluid, and finally went and of course it was negative. lol

I tell you, the blood thinner shot in my stomach stung more than anything. ugh.

I was out, and ready to go home by 1pm. I was fuzzy all day and sore. Drank my Water sip by sip.

I'm able to walk around a lot more today, and am feeling pretty good.

Now I'm just hoping I feel some restriction. lol

I had my surgery on10/21/08 and everything went well. I WAS SORE AND FULL OF GAS AFTER THE SURGERY OF COURSE, BUT WITH THE PAIN MEDS AND THE ICE chips IT WAS JUST FINE. I HAVE BEEN HOME FOR 5 DAYS WITHOUT MUCH TO COMPLAIN ABOUT. I AM SORE IN MY LEFT SIDE, I CAN TELL THAT I GET FULL FASTER WITH LASTING EFFECTS AND I AM 12 POUNDS LIGHTER AS I WRITE THIS REPLY. I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO SUCCESSFUL WEIGHT LOST AND A NEW ATTITUDE TOWARD LIFE. I KNOW I HAVE MADE THE RIGHT DECISION FOR ME AND MY FAMILY.