Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What causes all this gas?

If it is the Fiber supplements, does anybody know of one that causes less gas than others?

I like the Benefiber powder. I mix it with Kool Aid (for my son) and he had less gas with that than the tablets. Hopefully that can be your quick fix and not something else causing the gas.

I am in so much discomfort now typing this and hoping it is gas. How do you know? I am 4 weeks post-op and I am on solid foods. I just went shopping all day today and putting things away and then WHAMOOO! I keeled over in pain. I tried laying down and nothing sitting up feels a little better. I am unable to pin point the pain. It feels all over and when I take a deep breath I feel sharp pains under both my breasts and an ache in my mid section. Please tell me this is gas and not a slipped band. I experienced no gas when I got out of surgery.

T:huh2:

I am in so much discomfort now typing this and hoping it is gas. How do you know? I am 4 weeks post-op and I am on solid foods. I just went shopping all day today and putting things away and then WHAMOOO! I keeled over in pain. I tried laying down and nothing sitting up feels a little better. I am unable to pin point the pain. It feels all over and when I take a deep breath I feel sharp pains under both my breasts and an ache in my mid section. Please tell me this is gas and not a slipped band. I experienced no gas when I got out of surgery.

T:huh2:

i am 6 days post op and had the dame thing today!! I have terrible gas and burning pain though... like non stop indegestion... when you get an answer can you pleeeease send it my way...

nicci:confused:

I was banded yesterday and yikes at the gas pain! I've tried bouillion and pudding thinned down with milk and both made me feel terrible. I've crushed up Pepcid AC that I take after my liquid pain meds cause they cause old fashioned heartburn from hell. I've been walking and I sit up in bed (craftmatic) and those help a little but not tons.

I was banded yesterday and yikes at the gas pain! I've tried bouillion and pudding thinned down with milk and both made me feel terrible. I've crushed up Pepcid AC that I take after my liquid pain meds cause they cause old fashioned heartburn from hell. quote]

Ara,

You are fresh out of the womb. You are expected to be in pain. All that fresh GAS you are speaking about is from your anesthesia. Sounds crazy but try to stay away from as much pain meds as you can as it will cause Constipation. Walk, walk, walk............. I would even stay away from milk for now and drink some flavored Water. You need to take it easy and relax besides walking around the house. Remember when a baby has colic, you move their legs back and forth to be able to move the bowels. If your chest is hurting from gas pains then move your arms from side to side.

Josephine

Lauralee,

I have had gastritis and I was prescribed Protonix by my weight doctor after he did a scope on me. I do take this daily because I don't want any problems. I eat a lot of vinegar and coffee. It is from acidic foods.

You don't have a burning sensation in your stomach do you?

Josephine

No burning in my stomach thank goodness, it's all at my waist and lower. I can hear and feel the gas rumbling around and when I feel it on the side where my port is I have terrible sharp pains from the pressure. Gosh this has to get better!

Lauralee,

Excuse me for doctoring but are you eating any greasy foods? Onions, what veggies are you eating? Look on the internet to see what foods that you are eating that are causing you gas.

Josephine

Lauralee,

This is from the mayo Clinic.

Intestinal gas

clear.gif

ARTICLE SECTIONS

clear.gif

clear.gif

Causes

Foods that cause gas

Some foods contain substances that aren't easily digested. Because of this, they pass unchanged into the lower intestine, where they're finally broken down into simpler substances — including gas — by the bacteria found there. Common gas-producing foods and substances include:

• Beans and lentils
  • Dairy products containing lactose
  • Fructose and sorbitol, which are found in some fruits and are also used as sweeteners

Josephine you are so sweet, thanks for the info :tongue2:

I'm eating mostly Protein from meat, some veggies and fruit, very little bread and crackers. When I had this awful attack the other night I had eaten a chicken leg and about 1/3 cup of mashed potatos with a tiny bit of gravy.

From the gas causing foods I do eat broccoli, but not in large quantities, maybe 1/4 cup at a time and not every day. No Beans except green beans, some cheese but not a lot, one small glass of milk per day, no other dairy. I ate all those things before in larger quantities without any gas problems.

I'm wondering if something about my other Vitamin supplements could be causing this, I didn't take any before.

I was banded Tuesday Sept 30 (6 days ago) and am still suffering from gas pain. I did use the Gas x strips but so far no help. I woke up this morning with zero pain anywhere but as soon as I started taking in fluids the gas returned. I can make myself burp to relieve it but I am afraid that if I do it too often I might cause a problem with my band slipping. Is this a possibility?? My gas pain is directly in the middle of my chest and occurs immediately after swallowing anything. I have not had a gall bladder in nearly 20 years.

No worries on the pain meds, not causing that problem at all. I walked down the street and back this morning to try and get things moving. When I woke up this morning my tummy was "talking" so I'm hoping that I pass something soon. LOL not leaving the house till I do cause I can see it happening at the worst possible time.

I've had the strangest hiccups, I'll only have one or two then nothing else...and boy do they hurt! I've found that the heating pad did wonders, I put it on my chest and fell asleep, when I woke up I felt much better. I still get tired this is my second surgery in a month, had a biopsy via my neck little less than 4 weeks ago so my body is looking forward to a rest.

HI Nicci,

Well guess what the same thing happened to me on Saturday and Sunday! not as painful as Thursday's episode. Well, I woke up and still had the same pain - it did not go away with GasX or Tums. I thought for sure I had done something to the band. I called the doctor this morning and told him everything I was eating and drinking and he feels that I am eating too much. Since I have the Realize band and no fills yet I am eating too often. I have been drinking with my meals as well. So I have not been very good at satiety. I am now on liquids and mushies for the next 2 days until my tummy gets back to normal. I am still very sore and my abdomen all under my bellybutton is very sore and tight. It feels like someone scraped my inside. OUCH and gross.

ShrinkyDink,

Did you ever resolve your gas issues????? I am Day #7 post-op and I hope this gas thing is not a permanent problem. That would be horrible!!!