Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello from Colorado!!!

HI! I am Krista - I am 29 3/4 years old, fat my entire life, and just today called my new insurance and found out they have a morbid obesity clause. Yay! I have been researching the Band for 3 years, and i think I am as prepared as i can get without knowing the results post-op. I am running into a "schroedinger's cat" wall. :thumbup:

So i am at the very beginning. i have, as we all have, dieted and exercised in the past. I was diagnosed with Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome when I was 16 after starting puberty, gaining a ton of weight (without eating more), periods that would not stop and having severe pain. When I was 19 a dermoid cyst ruptured and I felt as though my appendix had burst or something (i presume - never had appendix problems before). I tried a nutritionist when i was 14 and again at 16, Atkins when it was popular, spent 9 months at a gym 3-5 days a week at least 1 hour a day, gave up fast food entirely for 6 months, never got into drinking sugary beverages or sodas (i m a Water and iced tea girl at heart), and I even went on Phase 1 South beach Diet for 6 straight weeks, no flubs, and did not lose a single pound. Although i did not lose weight, the SBD let me get pregnant and I had my first child :tt2:. I tried South Beach Diet again after my son was 8 months old and within months I was pregnant again (but, again, no weight loss). My second boy is 3 1/2 now.

From the time I was 23 till now (nearly 7 years) i have gained no weight, nor have i lost any. My body seems content to be 5'5" and 280 lbs. As far as I am aware I do not have an eating problem or disorder. My appetite fluxuates from nonchalant about food to always hungry but even when always hungry i try to keep it modest. I have been known to eat when bored, but when I do I am also so bored i am pacing and i go for a walk so not sure if it balances out... I did not even gain or lose when I was pregnant! I was back to my weight within a month after giving birth despite breastfeeding and healthier eating. Can you imagine my frustration?!?

Tomorrow I make an appointment with my PCP for a physical and a long talk about bariatric surgery. I am apprehensive :mellow: - I know that I respond well to physical cues, and if I get ill by eating bread I will no longer eat bread (south beach was SO HARD to do because of that) and by that I know the Band will help me out. I am very good at avoiding things that hurt me! I do understand it is a tool and I plan to use that tool to my advantage. But I wonder - if diets and exercise have so far been complete failures (I mean come on - 9 months at a gym without losing weight or inches?!?! South Beach Diet phase 1 without losing a pound?!?:drool:) can i expect to have no results with the band? Or is the band exactly what I need?

Also - will my PCP be in favor of the band or against it? What hoops must I jump through? Can anyone tell me if they have United Healthcare (i know all plans are different but still) and who a good surgeon is?

i am scared, and hopeful, and excited...so i am here for advice, support, and a smack about the noggin if i do something stupid. It;s nice to meet you all!!:cool2:

Edited by chickiepickle

Guest BikiniBeachy

Welcome and good luck from Denver.

I love Schroedinger's Cat, lol, poor baby...:thumbup:

Welcome to LBT!!!! Goodluck with your PCP. She may be for or against it. It is a very personal thing, some docs don't really understand the procedure so if you go in with facts then you can sway them. Goodluck and let us know how it goes.

Hi, I totally understand your story. When you said you were diagnosed with P.C.O.S, you said it all right then. I also have P.C.O.S. and have had the same problems loosing weight. I went through the same things as you did. Working out - no weight loss, lo carb diet - little bit of weight loss, etc. I got my band on Sept. 4th, 2008. I have lost weight but I am expecting that P.C.O.S. will make our loosing weight, even with a band, difficult. There is a forum for those of us with P.C.O.S. Do join us to share your story and to hear others.

Welcome to LBT! I am from colorado springs and have United Health care.

The only requirement I had to have was a bmi of 40 or more. I also had to go to a seminar about lap band surgery. once I did that I got the appointment with my surgeon, Dr. Fisher at Penrose Hospital. Then they require you to see a nutritionist and have a psych eval. I went to the seminar on July 23, had my first appointment on aug 11th, had my eval on aug 28th, 2nd apoointment with the surgeon on sept. 18th, and i'm having my sugery on Oct 9th. It was a very fast process for me.

Welcome to LBT! I am from colorado springs and have United Health care.

The only requirement I had to have was a bmi of 40 or more. I also had to go to a seminar about lap band surgery. once I did that I got the appointment with my surgeon, Dr. Fisher at Penrose Hospital. Then they require you to see a nutritionist and have a psych eval. I went to the seminar on July 23, had my first appointment on aug 11th, had my eval on aug 28th, 2nd apoointment with the surgeon on sept. 18th, and i'm having my sugery on Oct 9th. It was a very fast process for me.

OMG - seriously?!?! I would be so lucky!!! My BMI (according to the generic calcs) is 47!! ((but my wrists, fat-free as all wrists are, are extremely thick - 7 1/2 inches!!)) And I am looking into seminars around here so I can get that under my belt (tho not sure if they can tell me anything i don't already know...heh heh...being in lapband groups and researching it for 3 years and all...). On obesityhelp.com I did not see and Colo Springs surgeons but I am here in the Springs too!

My PCP is Dr Yoesel at the briargate medical campus. He's been great in the past and I hope he will understand about this. I am very timid, especially about bariatric surgery. Just admitting that I have looked into it is something that I feel so bad about - like I am giving up on myself. But I am going to be 30 in December and dangit - I want a better life! Why get older if you can't enjoy it? I need to be strong. My appointment is Monday morning at 9am!!!:) I was told that if they will cover me, my insurance covers 80% with a $300 deductible. For a $15k surgery I think it's $3k i would have to pay. pretty sure I can get that paid off in a year!

-Krista

Welcome, I am in the Springs as well and working with Dr Fisher. I am waiting for my psych consult referral so I can schedule that and I will be going to the nutritionist the 9th and the 16th then just have to wait for the ins. approval. I was nervous about asking my PCM for the approval but he had no problem giving me the referral. Good luck.

hi everyone! i was banded by dr fisher (colorado springs-penrose) on october 2 of this year..i couldnt be happier!!! he is the BEST!!! i switched from the AFA to him, it took longer but was well worth the wait..he is an amazing surgeon.

i have not been to a support group meeting yet, but i am planning on going this thursday..it is the 1st thursday of the month at penrose, right?

I'm glad to hear such a rave review of Dr Fisher. I don't have a date yet, just finished all the prep work and waiting for the office to submit for final insurance approval. I haven't been to a support group meeting yet.

Hi all,

I'm from the Springs too! Dr. Fisher is also my surgeon. I have my nutrition eval and psych eval Nov 4th. I'm hoping my surgery will be before the end of the year as my insurance will pay 100%. If not, my $3K deductable kicks in again in Jan. I've only met Dr. Fisher once, but he seems really nice. I'm so nervous, but am soooo excited at the same time. Any advice is greatly appreciated. :grouphug:

Kristina,

What kind of pre-op diet and such did you have to do with Dr. Fisher? I have a call in to Jody to see what kind of time line I should expect now that she has all my info to submit to Tricare.