Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recipies and Meal ideas

Hi there, anyone have recipies they'd like to share? or general suggestions for meals that you find work well with your band?

i've been making baked boneless chicken thighs with a low fat or fat free cream of something Soup (like cream of chicken, or cream of mushroom, or cream of broccoli) and a can of green Beans or frozen spinach. all in one pan baked in the oven at 375 for about 40 minutes. it's usually a whole package of thighs, so i have a LOT of leftovers even if my husband eats some. once in a while i add long grain rice but only if i'm really hungry - as i try to avoid the extra carbs.

i find this is moist enough and the chicken is tender (chicken breasts seem to get too dry for me) and almost always, i can eat less than i think - because for some reason my band likes to tell me i'm full on this one!

hope you have some suggestions that you'd like to share!

A good recipe for someone like me that is just on liquids only (surgery was on the 23rd of Sept.) is Carnation Instant Breakfast. My nutristionist recommended it also. I use that with milk and add some ice and blend in blender. It actually is really yummy and I don't even like milk. It comes in Chocolate!!

I love to have and read recipes so this is a great idea!

Thanks,

Anjie

One of my favorite dinners is this: 2 cups mixed greens, 1 oz cheddar cheese (2%), 1 teaspoon full fat dressing, 1/8 cup cottage cheese, and on top I chop up a Perdue Breaded Baked chicken Breast (160 cal) that I bake in the oven first. You can find this chicken in the refridgerated section of the grocery store, like where they keep fully cooked chicken strips, etc. It's very good and filling...

It's been a couple of months since I've been on here. I'm now up to 5.8cc's in my 10cc band. I'm starting to lose again. I was stalled for quite a while.

Anyway, my eating has definitely changed. I live on chicken thighs. I'm unable to eat any white meat poultry at all anymore. I usually buy a bag of bone in, frozen chicken thighs at Wal Mart. I put them in a gallon Ziploc bag with whatever marinade I want (Citrus Chipoltle, teriaki, chile lime, etc) and let them sit for a day in the refrigerator. I then remove the skin and bake until done. I then have a supply available to grab and go. I've even eaten them for Breakfast before. The Protein really keeps me full.

Grill 6 chicken breasts.

Slice chicken into thin slices and let cool.

In a large ziploc bag mix:

1/2 c. olive oil

1/3 c. lime juice

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. cumin

3 cloves garlic, minced

1/4 c. vinegar

1/2 c. chopped onion

1 tsp. oregano

1/2 tsp. pepper

3 tblsp. Chili powder

After chicken has cooled off throw in bag and shake up.

Keep this bag of chicken in your fridge and pull out to make stuff like:

Chicken with wheat tortillas and peppers

Add chicken on top of refried Beans and cover with cheese and fesh pico

Or just eat chicken plain.

Many many other stuff you can make with this and it keeps well in the fridge all week.

I have bought the Jennie-O turkey burgers which are very low in fat and high in Protein. I "grill" them on my George Forman, throw a slice of cheese on it, and I'm good to go. No bread.

Since the surgery I am having problems eating some types of bread, so it's been easier just to stay away from it all together.

I am also into grilling chicken thighs or leg quarters.. I marinate them then throw on the grill.. I also am able to eat grilled asparagus, zucchini, squash and onions with it.. I can't eat any bread or Pasta so no worries there.. I can eat tortilla chips so I do on occasion make nachos out of the chicken with some ff refried Beans.. lots of Protein..

I also make terriaki turkey burgers.. and I get the 98% ff ground beef and make burgers from that on the grill. I don't eat a bun...

Crock pots are great to put a jar of your favorite chunky salsa with some chicken of choice for about 4-6 hours on high when you return you have moist tender dinner ready to eat..

hi! great ideas! thanks! i make chili a lot. different kinds. but i don't like it spicy.

1lb ground lean beef or ground turkey (tho i don't like that one as much)

1 jar mild salsa (chichi's or whatever)

after adding the jar to the mix, fill it with Water once and add that

1 can kidney Beans

mushrooms

onions

1 packet mild chili mix (any of them)

1 can (4-6 oz or so) chopped green chilis (they are mild)

either crock pot on high for 4 hours or cook per instructions on the chili mix package - on the stove. if on the stove, i brown the meat first.

it's great to make 'white chicken chili' too with ground chicken, 1 can white Beans, no salsa just Water and the 'white bean chili mix' from the store and the other stuff (mushrooms, onions, green chilis).

i seem to make it a little different each time. usually i put fat free sour cream on top when i eat it.

and the only fast food i eat is wendy's chili - small. it hits the spot when i'm out and about!

I too have been eating a lot of chili. Here's a quick and easy recipe below. You can substitute the beef with ground turkey or cubed chicken. I usually double the recipe. When doing so, I add one can each of dark and light kidney Beans and the same for the corn, one white and one yellow. Just makes it more colorful. Enjoy! :tongue_smilie:

TACO SOUP

1 ½ ~ pounds lean ground beef browned

1 ~ cup onion

1 ~ packet of taco seasoning

1 ~ 15 oz can kidney Beans with juice

1 ~ 14 oz can corn with juice

1 ~ 28oz can stewed tomatoes with juice

1 ~ 8 oz can of Tomato sauce

Brown beef drain and add onion to brown.

Add remaining ingredients simmer for 20 minutes

Serve with tortilla chips and shredded cheese.

Greyhoundmom's chili reminded me of the white chicken chili I've been making at home. This is healthy and filling on a cold day.

If you never had Ruby Tuesday's chicken chili go try it. It's awesome!

Mine doesn't taste like Ruby's but its still good.

FYI: This the first time I wrote this recipe down. I created it from scratch.

In a pot throw in:

2 - 15oz cans of Great Northern Beans

3 cups of Chicken broth

5 tbls of Light Cream 9 (OPTIONAL!)

Bring to a boil.....

In a large pan ( I like cooking my veggies and spices first):

1 cup of Chopped Yellow Onions

2 - 4oz cans of Diced Green Chiles (for hotter chili use diced Jalapenos)

4 Tbls of Chili powder

2 Tbls of Cumin

1 Tbls of Red Pepper

2 Tbls of Garlic powder (I usualy use fresh garlic but either is ok)

1 Tbls of Black Pepper

Cook until Onions are SLIGHTLY done.....

Dump contents of pan into pot.....

Lower heat on pot to just under a simmer....

Add

2 - Drained 15.5oz cans of Diced Chicken Breast to pot....

Let cook on very low eat for 3-4 hours until desired consistency. When disired consistency is obtained salt and spice to taste if need be.

Again, the light cream is OPTIONAL. I like it either way, but my wife likes the cream in there cause it gives the chili a creamy and almost cheesy taste to it.