Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Worried-People Trying To Talk Me Out of Surgery

Hello everyone, I'm not banded yet, but in the pre-op testing stage. I've just done the sleep test and found out I have sleep apnea. I'm 5'4" and 246 lbs. I'm 24 years old. Just married, too! :thumbup: My doctor back in May discussed my options and suggested I have lap band sugery. So now I have done some of the tests, and told some family members about my desicion. My dad is extremly excited, my mom is too but also a little nervous about it. Now a family friend who is an RN wants to talk to me about it, and was all over my mom about it on Saturday night. She was telling me she's seen 3 patients die from the surgery (didn't hear if it was the surgery or afterwards) and that the band can cause scar tissue around where they place the band, and that the stomach will stay that way, and that you can't get the proper nutrition. I was extremly excited about the band, and now I'm extremly worried!! Anyone hear about issues like that? TIA!! :biggrin:

There is always going to be someone who works to burst your bubble. I'm sure there are those people who have had major troubles or have died from lapbanding. But that is the same for any surgery there is. That's why you always have to sign a paper before surgery that you are aware of the risks. But living afraid is no way to live in my book. Gather your information, go to a seminar, read a book on the subject, and talk to people who have already been banded. I had a complication that left me with an 11 inch incision and 4 days in the hospital. I have had a longer recovery, but I've lost 40 pounds since 8-21..... I'm doing well and don't regret having the surgery. You just have to make up your own mind. Support from family and friends is very important, but what you think is the most important... So, think hard and make an informed decision.. Best of luck... Julie

There are complications from any surgury. You could die getting your gall bladder removed, I dont think deaths from this type of procedure are anymore common than any other procedure. You could die from weight related problems, too. I suspect the dangerous health problems stemming from obesity are far more dangerous than those from this procedure. If you want to be left alone by those who want to talk you out of it, come up with a simple statement such as 'I appreciate your concern, I will speak to my doctor about any and all concerns and I will make my own decision'. Repeat over and over again, if need be.

Nikkoli,

I am quite skeptical about her seeing three people die from the band. It does happen, but it is extremely rare, and is usually the result of having surgery of any kind, like infection or a surgeon nicking another organ which results in internal bleeding. I would find out who their surgeon was and avoid him like the plague! At your age and weight I doubt you will have any problems at all.

I have no difficulty whatsoever getting nutrition, if I make an effort to do so. In our junk food culture it is always difficult to get good nutrition unless we stay away from restaurant foods. Some people eat the wrong things before being banded and continue to do it afterwards. I can eat meat and vegetables and most foods, although the more fibrous veggies are harder, like broccoli if it's not cooked thoroughly. The band actually helps me eat healthier because it is not friendly towards low nutrition high carb foods like bread and Pasta. The band isn't like malabsorptive procedures like gastric bypass, where part of the small intestine is left out of the digestive process. The band simply restricts the amount of food you eat, and some types of foods. My favorite preband food, donuts, is now a total no-no, and I don't even want them anymore.

There can be scarring around the stomach where the band is placed, and a rare complication of banding is erosion, where the band has to be removed because it works it way into the inside of the stomach. Again, this is not a big risk compared to the health risks of remaining obese, and compared to the risks of more invasive bariatric surgery.

My daughter was banded at age 25 and has lost 127 lb. My husband and I were banded a year ago and have each lost 75+ lb. We are all much healthier than we were before the band.

A lot of bariatric surgery is high risk because the people undergoing it are not healthy to begin with. I would ask your RN friend why the people she knew about died, and if she doesn't have specifics I would questions whether she really has pertinent information to give you.

Hello everyone, I'm not banded yet, but in the pre-op testing stage. I've just done the sleep test and found out I have sleep apnea. I'm 5'4" and 246 lbs. I'm 24 years old. Just married, too! :thumbup: My doctor back in May discussed my options and suggested I have lap band sugery. So now I have done some of the tests, and told some family members about my desicion. My dad is extremly excited, my mom is too but also a little nervous about it. Now a family friend who is an RN wants to talk to me about it, and was all over my mom about it on Saturday night. She was telling me she's seen 3 patients die from the surgery (didn't hear if it was the surgery or afterwards) and that the band can cause scar tissue around where they place the band, and that the stomach will stay that way, and that you can't get the proper nutrition. I was extremly excited about the band, and now I'm extremly worried!! Anyone hear about issues like that? TIA!! :thumbup:

I am 24 also and have been married almost 2 years. I had been considering the band just after we got married but for all sorts of reasons it got put on the back burner and I was just banded in July. I too have heard horror stories about how bad the band was and how people wish they had never done it, but I have also heard stories of how it has changed and saved lives. Think of it this way, if you keep gaining the way you have been, where will you be in 20 years? I am very sorry that your family friend is not being supportive of you taking control of your life and improving it. ultimately this is a decision that YOU will make, and you will be the one living with it. LIVING!! Not feeling bad about yourself, not hiding behind weight, but actually going out and living! I have only lost abt 20lbs but I KNOW this is the best decision I have EVER made for my body!! I pray that you will know what is best for yours, but don't let one person dissuade you.

There are always going to be people who have negative responses. I told my neighbor who is a nurse, and she was instantly negative - be careful, I've known people who have done that and gained all their weight back, etc. You can't worry about people like that, you can only make the best decision for you. For me, I've lost almost 40 lbs. so far, and it isn't perfect, but it's still the best decision I could have made. I just wish I'd have done this sooner.

Thank you everyone for your responses! I also thought that she may be exagerating or something, I find it strange too, but she seemed really concerned and wanted to talk to me so badly about it. Her main concern that she told me was something to the effect of the scar tissue building up around the band and then it staying that way, and because I do want to have children in the future, she said I may have issues getting enough nutrition and then having issues with being pregnant, but I've researched it and see that they can take the fill out and things would be fine. I do feel better "talking" with you guys, thank you so much!! Now I just need to get my mom back on board!

Well, when I decided, I only told my hubby, daughter, sisters and one brother and one cousin. They are my support team. I researched this surgery for 2 years before deciding to do this. I kept it all quiet, because we all know, there are those out there who may also call you a copy-cat, because so and so is doing it. Well, lots in my family circle have had now only this surgery but the bypass. Some have lost ALOT of weight, others are losing slowly. I say, we are all different and loss differently. I have dropped 38 pounds since May. I am happy for myself. I feel wonderful. My knees don't hurt as much. I have come off one medicine and have dropped the strength of another. My blood pressure meds are being looked at, to lower or get off of altogether. YOU HAVE TO DO THIS FOR YOURSELF. YOU ARE THE ONE THAT HAS TO TAKE THIS TOOL AND MAKE IT WORK FOR YOU. Others cannot hold your hand and do any of this for you. Talk to your doctor about your concerns. Everyone hears all the stories. You have to have trust in your doctor. YOU not your family, your friends, your neighbors, you!!!! Good luck with your decision, either way.

Edited by KatsenD
posted before finishing....

The statistics will help to give you a good idea of what true risks are. Complications from banding are few and far between . . . although it is terrible if you end up in the small percentage who have a problem.

I have had great results and I love my band. No one knows about it except for my husband, and that has worked great for me. Keeping it close keeps people from giving negative feedback or watching your every bite.

Only you can determine what is best for you. Have confidence that you can make the best choice for your future.

'I appreciate your concern, I will speak to my doctor about any and all concerns and I will make my own decision'. Repeat over and over again, if need be.

Excellent! This is exactly what to do. Do not engage the detractors in discussion. Walk away from them if you have to. It is your body.

Nikkoli, your RN friend is mistaken.She is speaking as an expert and I can assure you most RNs are sooo unfamiliar with this procedure and possible complications. Banding is what you put into it. Although complications are not rare, life-threatening complications are. Do your research. Ask your surgeon for complication rates from the band at 1 year and 5 years (the rates increase). Challenge your friend to research the same. I would like to caution anyone who is being advised by their nurse friends, family, and neighbors regarding this procedure. Talk to your surgeon!!

I am an ER nurse in the facility where I was banded and have become the "resident band expert" for my department. I say that to tell you that simply being an RN does not make one informed enough to speak as an expert on the matter. My colleagues will tell you that. Good luck in your endeavors whatever you decide regarding the band.

PS- I hope this post comes across as I am intending. I do not wish to be a know-it-all. Just hoping to be informative.

Not to mention, most people confuse the band with the bypass! Several times when I told people I was getting this they said things like, "don't they cut your stomach apart for that and rehook everything?" or "yeah I heard about that 800 lb lady in TX who died from that".. well, she died of the bypass, not the band. I honestly think it is just uneducated people who don't know the difference between the two surgeries, and also the sleeve which is a newer procedure.

I love having my band. I like losing slower and being able to eat a nice healthy small meal, so I don't have my band as tight as others might have their band and I can get plenty of nutritions.. I eat grilled chicken, tuna, salads, all sorts of fishes and veggies.. I definitely get all my Protein, carbs, and fat in. I think it's important to get all of that in... Even the naughty things every now again like fudgcicles, chips and salsa, and shhhh, NACHO's. lol. But, I average about 7-9 lbs a month and you can too!!

Do your research and know that yes, things can happen, especially if you don't research the doctor (there are some bad ones out there), but most banded poeple don't have any issues and are successful.

Good luck! :thumbdown:

Yup, there will always be someone to try to talk you out of things you may want to do in life. I just turned 26 in july and was banded 2 months prior. My mom was super supportive but my hubby wasnt at first. He was worried that something would happen to me. At the end of it all, I had to make the right decision for myself, by myself. You will too. GOOD LUCK!!!

Thanks so much everyone, all your posts are great! I feel so great being able to come here for support! Thank you really so much.

I did talk more with my mom and even showed her some statistics online, showing her that after the band I'll be much more healthy and future pregnancies would be better than me at my weight now. I know what I want, and I know the band is right for me. I just need to show my mom and DH the good things about it and not to worry about the dangerous complications, seeing as though they are very unlikely to happen. Thank you guys so much!!!