Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am looking for information from anyone taking EffexorXR 150mg capsules. Are you able to take the caps as directed or do you have to open them and take them in applesauce? If you have to open them, do they work the same? I am getting banded Oct 7th and don't know what to expect and would appreciate any feedback. My doctor said I could try them unopened but I would like to know what others have experienced.

Thanks in advance,

Mimi

For the first 2 months, I had to switch over to taking the immediate release form of the drug twice a day - crushed up in applesauce (yuck!).

Now, however, I take the Effexor extended release tablet. The tablet is pretty small (just a little bigger than a baby aspirin). I couldn't use the generic because the XR pill is WAY too big.

Good luck!

Right after surgery I opened them for two to three weeks, then I tried to swallow the capsule and found I could. After my first fill, I opened it for another day or two. I have now switched to a twice a day generic, and since I don't have any trouble with the pills getting stuck, I am taking them whole.

Good luck with your surgery week after next!!

Suzanne

Thanks for both your feedback. I can't get the pills because they don't stock them at the VA so I will have to make up my mind to open them for a few weeks. It helps to know that as time goes by I will be able to try the capsule whole.

Mimi

I was banded on 9/12/08. I also take effexor 75mg XR . My doctor told me that any capsule or coated caplet could be taken without a problem. I took my meds on the second day postop and have not had a problem. Have you asked your Dr. about opening up the capsule, because I was told not to,since it is an extended release med. I wish you the best of luck!

Thank you, OBTech. I take 1 of the XR 75 and 1 of the 150mg. The doc thought the 75mg was an OK size but that the 150mg would be too big. I have some concerns (besides taste) about opening the capsule, too.

Mimi

DO NOT OPEN!!!!!! Extended release is made to be taken whole, there should be a warning label on the side!!!! If you open capsul you will not get the benefit of the extended release!!!!!!! Please call your pharmacist.....or any pharmacist can help you as the VA is hard to contact. Just call the pharmacist and tell them what is going on and they will help you, you dont have to get the prescription filled there to get the information...please, please call a pharmacist to get the most accurate information..

i take (2) 150mg effexor capsules every night before bed and they go down (and stay down) just fine... even right after surgery. i never took them apart. i just make sure i take them on an empty stomach.

you're very welcome, mimi! i would definitely double check with your surgeon though too!

Actually, my doctor said it was not a problem to open the capsules, since the medicine is in little beads, and the beads are extended release, not the plastic capsule. If you look on the website or read the information, it says you can open it and take it. I have been opening them and taking them with applesauce (or just pouring it in my mouth) because my surgeon told me to, but I forgot once and just took one and it didn't bother me.

I also was taking the Effexor XR 250mg (large red capsule). My surgeon suggested that I have it a smaller size and he asked me to contact my primary care physician. He first put me on two Effexor pills to try and I could not get them down. They were horrible and burnt my tounge so my doc. then switched me to an Effexor capsule that are a lot smaller than my original pill. They are like the size of a baby aspirin. I just had my surgery on 9/23 and I started taking my Effexor the very next day. So far no problems!! Thank goodness. I take a lot of medication because I have a seizure disorder and there was great concern that I would need to smash them into applesauce but I have not had to do it! It just takes me alot longer to get all my medication down. I used to fill my hand and swallow them no problem. Now I take them one at a time and even take a break if needed and then go back to taking the rest.

Best Wishes!

Anjie

I started taking mine whole in my second post surgery week. no trouble at all. the prescription says must be taken whole. I just take them with a bit of yogurt or applesauce and down they go. Good luck!!!!