Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Subway - rude servers

What was wrong with ordering the tuna salad sandwich and then just opening it up and eating the fixings without the bread? They sell a fixed item for a fixed price, it's not their problem that you can't eat part of their fixed item. Just because you "prefer not to pay for it" doesn't mean they don't have a right to charge their fixed price. Demanding special treatment and then getting upset because you didn't get it is a good way to end up angry at the world.

I have to agree with Fanny Adams too! When I go out to eat, I will order off the regular menu and just box up what is left or offer it to my skinny husband. He seems to be able to eat anything. I have noticed at sandwich shops if I order a chicken salad sandwich without the bread. They usually give more chicken salad than they would of put on the sandwich. So I figure that makes the price equal out. We have to learn how to eat out and what to order that fits our needs. Just like a diabetic, people with food allergies and others with medical conditions!

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with folks who've said it's a sub place, and you really can't expect them to lower the price because you can't eat the roll. Also, as a few have said, there are alternate choices there. I can't imagine someone on Adkin's going into McDonald's and wanting a hamburger for less because they can't eat the bun. When I was a teen, I worked at McDonald's and occasionally we had vegetarian customers who wanted a Big Mac w/o the meat. They never expected a reduced price either.

What is inexcusable is the server's comments to you. ""He snaps back at me "we are not Lap Band friendly". My DH insisted on walking out. As we were leaving, the server said to his friend "that's disgusting"". I would report that to the manager and the district manager.

Edited by kiz

You are right, I shouldn't have gone to Subway expecting not to eat the bread and not be charged for it, etc. BUT on the same token, my family was wanting Subway, which is much healthier than most fast food establishments, and I was trying to accomodate them. The guy behind the counter seemed friendly enough so I thought I would ask. Well, it turns out that he was not friendly at all...LOL.

Thanks!

A restaurant choosing not to offer special orders is their choice. Rudeness like that from an employee is way out of line, asking shouldn't be a problem. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

Im with fanny, life is too short get over it, dont analyse it too much,hold your head up high, and move on. you could of ordered a salad bowl, and taken the rest home for dinner that night. good luck.

Im with fanny, life is too short get over it, dont analyse it too much,hold your head up high, and move on. you could of ordered a salad bowl, and taken the rest home for dinner that night. good luck.

Ok, everyone, I thought this was a support forum. Telling me to "get over it" when I experienced a very humiliating moment in a public eating establishment when I POLITELY asked the server to adjust the price does not feel like support. We've all endured our "moments" during this journey and if any of you had the same issue, I would try to be supportive. Sorry I mentioned it.

If the Subway sandwich maker had been more polite, we wouldn't have to have this discussion. A customer is entitled to ask for whatever he/she wants. And the restaurant has the right to say that they can't make such a special order. The server should have offered an alternative. But you're dealing with a minimum-wage person who hates his job and hopes you don't come in again so he won't have to work so hard. Corporate could have been more diplomatic in explaining its position. So many people see an overweight person and automatically want to treat them rudely.

We won't be fat forever, but they'll be stupid into eternity. :lol:

It isn't subways fault that we're overweight ... or that we had an ELECTIVE surgery to reduce the intake of food. Either purchase whats on the menu or find another place... it's that simple. If they had a lapband friendly menu then that would be fine. Do not go into an establishment expecting them to accomadate you because you had a surgery... Either purchase the sandwich or do not.. it's up to you.

I don't think the issue here was Subway accomodating some for the fact they had WLS. Nor was she blaming them for her being overweight in the 1st place. The issue was the way that she as a customer was treated! If Subway doesn't want to give a discount on its product then ok! No biggie! I have no issues paying the full amount and I don't imaigine that she did either!

What the underlying issue was the way that she was treated by the staff at Subway! Then upon calling the corporate office she was told "that is not their problem" the way she was treated. I beg to differ! It is Subways problem! Those workers are representing Subway and by allowing them to treat customers that way Subway is saying it is ok to be rude and disrepectful to overweight people just because that are fat!

If this is they way Subway feels than this fat girl (soon to be thin) will no longer patronize any of their establishments!

Ok, everyone, I thought this was a support forum. Telling me to "get over it" when I experienced a very humiliating moment in a public eating establishment when I POLITELY asked the server to adjust the price does not feel like support. We've all endured our "moments" during this journey and if any of you had the same issue, I would try to be supportive. Sorry I mentioned it.

i personally wouldn't share the fact that i had WLS with restaurant staff - heck family & friends still don't know i have the band...but since you did; you were treated badly by someone with horrible manners. that deserves a phone call to corp, not necessarily the reluctance to change their fixed pricing.

i go to my local subway often - always order just the tuna in a cup & i get charged a childs price. never asked for it; staff just did that on their own. i actually think it's funny the young guy there thinks i lost weight by not eating bread (i still do - but that bread it too much for me).

i got the card with my discharge papers, and it's still there. i'm just not one that wants to bring attention to my surgery & i eat out often. for those who do want to use the card (and there have been MANY threads on the matter) - it comes with the "price" that you may be offended by those who just dont' understand or don't care.....it's a crap shoot on how it will be rec'd.

I took my kids to Subway today for lunch. I ordered the mini tuna sub - it was $2.39. I had ordered foot longs for my kids and then the mini sub. The girl seemed surprised and made sure I knew how small the mini sub would be. There was maybe 1/4 c tuna on it. I ate the tuna and the bread, but I could have just eaten the tuna. The one time we went to Togos, I had a small chili.

You know what I thought this was a freaking support forum too but boy have I been proven WRONG ppl here of our own kind put me down more than I have experienced from ppl who have no idea about weight loss surgery. You ppl need to imagine how you would have felt if you asked for a to go box somewhere and your server made a huge sene about how you think youre too good for the food or asked if you had a eating disorder or something. I'm sure everyone on here has experienced some sort of humiliation at one point or another...so for crying out loud be freaking supportive of ppl that are coming to this forum FOR SUPPORT!!!!!!!

So, DesertRose, I'm sorry but I would ask to speak to the owner of that franchise...I'm sure they wouldnt appreciate customers being treated that way...and besides the CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT...what happened to that?????? being charged full price for something ok I can see why they wouldnt budge but to be treated that way...HELL NO!

They charge for "extra meat" suggest that they just charge you for extra meat instead of the whole sandwich. Not everyone is that rude. I would have totally gone off on that guy and made sure he was fired ppl need to learn how to be customer friendly ....rudeness is what customer service is all about these days.......It doesnt matter where you go anymore everyones attitudes are shitty! Its just like going out to eat at say red lobster if youre my server and you let my husbands tea glass stay empty for 15 mins (yes this happened) and then make a loud sigh when he asks you for more tea..... you will not I repeat you will not get a nice tip from me...and I worked thru college as a server so I know what it takes to make ppl happy.

Anyway DONT LET PPL tell you that you have to settle just bc you had wt loss surgery. And everyones right attention doesnt have to be brought to the fact that you had wt loss surgery but when you do tell places this then the least they could do is try to accomodate in some fashion..even if they couldnt lower the price the least they could do is be polite about it.... Ive never told a rest. that I had surgery I just ask for half order or ask if i can order off the lunch menu....I have never had a problem..... you are the customer and if someone really wants to sell a product then they need to do what is necessary to make you happy and thats all there is to it.....now lets see how many supportive posts we can get now :teeth_smile::wink_smile:

Edited by kaninag

I don't think the issue here was Subway accomodating some for the fact they had WLS. Nor was she blaming them for her being overweight in the 1st place. The issue was the way that she as a customer was treated! If Subway doesn't want to give a discount on its product then ok! No biggie! I have no issues paying the full amount and I don't imaigine that she did either!

What the underlying issue was the way that she was treated by the staff at Subway! Then upon calling the corporate office she was told "that is not their problem" the way she was treated. I beg to differ! It is Subways problem! Those workers are representing Subway and by allowing them to treat customers that way Subway is saying it is ok to be rude and disrepectful to overweight people just because that are fat!

If this is they way Subway feels than this fat girl (soon to be thin) will no longer patronize any of their establishments!

Agreed 100%

As a former manager of a Subway and as an employee making subs for years and years we always tried to custom make things for our customers. Only a manager can give a reduction in price, change the portion size, or other wise make ajustments. Inventory is strictly controled and every thing is counted, weighed, and measured. It is a lot of work. There (at least the last time I worked there, years ago,) is no way for an employee to make ajustments on the till to account for food ajustments. The accounting system is very strictly controlled.

We delt with very rude customers that were shocked to have to pay extra for double meat, extra cheese, tripple bacon and so on. People complain about everything. The customer is aways right is used way to often! That being said, Rudeness should never be tolerated. I would suggest talking with the day time manager and follow up with a written letter to head office.

Managers are always fielding complaints and in my experience are pretty understanding. Working for the public is the most thank less job there is. Employee's don't make the rules or set the prices, and get paid very little to work their tails off. Maybe the guy was having a bad day, or maybe he is always a jerk. Talk to the manager and see what they have to say. I still eat there and miss their bread terribly, but I always get my tuna, turkey or chicken on a salad. You don't have to tolerate bad service, if you don't get satisfaction take your hard earned money to another establishment that will appreciate you. That's all you can do.

good luck

cc:smile: