Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Subway - rude servers

So my family and I were at Subway today and I asked if I could have tuna salad with no bread. The young !$#@ was insisting on charging me for the full price of a 6" sub, for one dallop of tuna salad. I informed him that I had surgery and could not hold much and prefer not to pay full price for a sandwich when I would be throwing away the bread. He snaps back at me "we are not lapband friendly". My DH insisted on walking out. As we were leaving, the server said to his friend "that's disgusting". We called their corporate office and were informed that it wasn't their problem! What is with that? Has anyone else had this problem? I was mortified. However, I chose not to allow others' ingnorance get me down. I will keep on keeping on. :bolt:

Subway advertises that they will make a salad out of any 6" sandwich, and then they charge more for the salad than they do for the same sandwich. I have never figured this out. Are they charging me extra for the little plastic fork? What if I brought my own??

Unfortunately, the lowly sandwich maker probably didn't have any authority to figure out an off-menu price, so he used rudeness to compensate, I guess. Maybe you should have just eaten the bread and pb'd all over him. Now THAT would have been disgusting!

Hey, I understand your frustration. I personally feel that their attitude will only hurt them in the long run. When this gets around a little people will stop going there... Word of mouth is a great advertisor. But, also, I do feel it isn't the restaurants fault we can't eat what they offer. I got a card from my doctor to present asking for a reduced portion and price, but there is nothing saying they have to do it. I think I'm just going to order smartly, eat what I know I should, and either leave the rest or take it home..... It's easier than being offended and ticked off every time I eat out... Hope you don't let it get to you. Sometimes the "un-fat" can be very cruel. They just don't get it and never will!!!

I read where you stated that the corporate office said it was not their problem. HMMM let me see...it will be their problem if no one who has had weight loss surgery goes to their resturants. They claim to advocate a healthy lifestyle yet they won't put their money where their mouth is. I for one will not spend my hard earned $$ with a company that treats it's customers with such disrepect.

I have never had that rudeness when I am there.

I do know that they offer a Mini Sub now. Not sure what the price is, it may be the same as a 6 inch sub. I can eat a little bread but I try not to have much starches.

jazie

I'm perfectly willing to pay for whatever a restaurant has to offer me. I do not feel that I should receive special treatment; I will not make myself out to be a victim. There are many people out there that can't eat a full meal or sandwich or whatever it may be. They still have to pay for their whole meal, why shouldn't I?

So my family and I were at Subway today and I asked if I could have tuna salad with no bread. The young !$#@ was insisting on charging me for the full price of a 6" sub, for one dallop of tuna salad. I informed him that I had surgery and could not hold much and prefer not to pay full price for a sandwich when I would be throwing away the bread. He snaps back at me "we are not lapband friendly". My DH insisted on walking out. As we were leaving, the server said to his friend "that's disgusting". We called their corporate office and were informed that it wasn't their problem! What is with that? Has anyone else had this problem? I was mortified. However, I chose not to allow others' ingnorance get me down. I will keep on keeping on. :bolt:

subway may not be band friendly but Panera is..... i always order a scoop of tuna salad or chicken salad with avacado and Tomato and it never a problem!!!:tt1:

So forget th idiot at subway and keep on going... there are plenty of other places that are friendly to us bandsters:wub:

when I do eat out, I always ask for a child's meal. there available at all fast food rest. if I go out to a nice place I always order a nice Soup and steal a few bite fulls from my hubby's plate:wink2:

What was wrong with ordering the tuna salad sandwich and then just opening it up and eating the fixings without the bread? They sell a fixed item for a fixed price, it's not their problem that you can't eat part of their fixed item. Just because you "prefer not to pay for it" doesn't mean they don't have a right to charge their fixed price. Demanding special treatment and then getting upset because you didn't get it is a good way to end up angry at the world.

It's always awkward when you want something out of the normal. I am vegetarian and only like certain vegetables, I have always ordered something different that what is officially stated on the menu! I normally just stick to places that I can order off the kid’s menus. No one as yet has refused me I also have a card with a picture on it of the gastric band I think people are squeamish and just wanna stop looking at the picture :bolt: If there is no kiddies menu I either throw it away or ask for it wrapped. I am quite loose with my band at the moment and can't get my next fill till the 3rd so not much left over’s at the moment lol Still not gaining and that’s all good XX

What was wrong with ordering the tuna salad sandwich and then just opening it up and eating the fixings without the bread? They sell a fixed item for a fixed price, it's not their problem that you can't eat part of their fixed item. Just because you "prefer not to pay for it" doesn't mean they don't have a right to charge their fixed price. Demanding special treatment and then getting upset because you didn't get it is a good way to end up angry at the world.

What she said!!!!:bolt: The restaurant sells a specific product, if you do not want that product, perhaps you should rethink going into it.

First, I'm sorry that you had to be part of scene like that. I know that I would have been embarrassed. But, that said...I have gotten a subway sandwhich and took the toppings off the bread. Their 6 inch subs are only 2.50 or something like that. I don't think it could get much cheaper. I choose not to single myself out when eating out. It's not the restaurant's fault I chose to alter my stomach. They make sub sandwiches. That's off limits to us. If you must go to Subway then get it in a wrap or a salad.< /p>

Thank you all for your replies. And while I do understand some of you who say that we shouldn't ask for "special treatment"...the sentiment behind my post was how mortified I was to be treated with such rude behavior just because I POLITELY asked if he could charge me less since I was not getting the bread. YOU DON'T KNOW UNTIL YOU ASK. That's the whole idea behind the little card. However, as I said, I will not allow others' ignorance to get me down. I chalk it up to a lesson learned. It's just horrible that an employee in a public eating establishment would make such rude comments about a paying customer. I wonder what's wrong with today's world...and with the economy you would think they would be trying harder to keep their customers. Maybe being "lap band friendly" would over-shadow their whole Jerry marketing scheme. I don't know. But, I do know, I will not ask for special orders again. :bolt: