Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay, So I was browsing on youtube and I found something about this girl doing the "chew and spit". I'm not really craving "bad" food right now, but I know as I get further away from my surgery date, I could see myself do this... I'm not saying that I will do it, but I can see some bad and some good with this... of course it seems that it is a negative thing, that it is an eating disorder, but on the other hand if you did this every once in awhile, would it be horrible?? Anyway, I was just wondering what other people's thoughts were and if you do it yourself? Please give positive or negative feedback... Just curious about it! Thanks!

Personally I find the idea repugnant. Good grief, how pathetic! Sorry; I really try to not be judgmental; I mean I am VERY large and it happened because I overate. I try to understand everyone has issues and so on; but if that "chewing and spitting" thing worked, why even BOTHER with the band? WHY do bulimics SWALLOW?

Not to make fun of anyone with an eating disorder which, at best, I think such a thing is....but, ewwwww.

I feel anyone who does this has an issue with food and they need to speak to a psychologist and there doc. The reason most of us are heavy is b/c of what we put in our mouth. Now you gotta think... why am i putting this crap in? If u think your at risk for this Chew and spitting crap... get some help before you do it.

~~jessica

Chewing and Spitting is a sign of an eating disorder. However, I do it very occassionally, and I don't have an eating disorder. Once every couple of weeks I get hot McDonalds french fries and I stand over the garbage can and dunk them in ketchup, chew them and spit them out. They are SOOOO good. I can't swallow french fries. That is a guaranteed stuck food for me. They used to be my favorite food and this way I can taste them and not have to swallow them. But you can't chew and spit often because I understand it will cause digestive problems. Your body primes up and releases everything it needs to digest food and then it doesn't get the food. I guess that does something negative.

Like tater I do this with food that my band dosen't like. That way I get to enjoy the yummy food without the tummy ache. My dog also loves this as I mostly chew and spit meat.< /p>

I googled "Is chewing and spitting an eating disorder?" and got this. Can't attest to it's veracity but it sounds logical...I think you guys may be hurting yourselves unintentionally:

Yet people with these disorders can experience swollen glands, mouth sores, cavities, cracked teeth, sore throats, and irritated or ulcerous stomachs. This is because when a person thinks about or begins to eat the salivary glands and stomach acids kick into action. The salivary glands work on the food in the mouth to break it down into simple sugars and make it easier to digest. Some argue that the breakdown allows the sugar to be absorbed through the mouth into the body, thus causing actual calorie ingestion. Others argue that this would be minimal as the food does not stay in the mouth long enough for this to happen. Some claim that it's impossible to not swallow some of the food, but again this is usually minimal. When the salivary glands and acids are frequently working it can lead to the complications mentioned. It can also cause a spike in insulin levels, which regulate blood sugar, and make it harder to lose weight.

A real danger for a person who chews and spits is that it could develop into another eating disorder, such as anorexia. They might feel they are getting satisfaction from the food they chew and spit out and therefore eat less or nothing at all. They could also move on to bingeing and purging. It's a warning sign of self-destructive behavior that may worsen. If you or someone you know practices this behavior consider getting some professional help. Eating disorders can be very difficult, if not impossible, to overcome by yourself and generally grow to govern your entire life.

I'm sorry but I think its dysfunctional and it has never even occurred to me to do it.

Dont take that as me saying people who do it are disgusting or that I'm horribly judgemental about it, I'm fully aware of the fact that anorexia, bulimia and the like are diseases, not choices of behaviour. But like anorexia or bulimia, its dysfunctional, abnormal eating behaviour and it needs attention.

Yes, I totally agree with the other responders. This is bordering on an eating disorder. I know for a fact that your insulin kicks in with your first bite of food. When your food enters your mouth - your insulin is released. Whether you swallow or not, you're harming your body. If this is an issue you're dealing with, I'd advise talking to your doctor and perhaps, talking to a therapist. Overeating is an addiction, we all have it... sad, but true. Sometimes therapy can help us deal with these issues - so that we are successful with our bands and we learn good and healthy habits.

My fear would be - if I do this, I'm not learning good eating habits. Not everyone keeps their bands forever, this is also sad, but true. As long as I have my band, it is my goal to use it to teach me to respect food, make good choices and eat properly, so that I can live at a healthy weight for the rest of my life - with or without my band.

I'm not a perfect bander, but I have worked hard at it. I do enjoy a treat now and then, but it's only on occasion. I keep my band very loose, so that I can eat 1 to 1 1/2 cup of food each meal and two fruit Snacks. I've lost 105 lbs in 8 months and don't feel deprived of anything. I work out 7 days a week - this has been the most difficult for me, as I started at a very high BMI. The life of a Bander is not easy, but we have to be diligent with getting the assistance we need - whether it's another fill or some time spent with a therapist.

Take care and Good Luck!

I do chew and spit at times. Not because I don't want to swallow, but because when I am chewing the food in my mouth, I KNOW before swallowing that it wont be band friendly once it gets down....so, I spit the bite out before swallowing and dealing with a major stuck episode! I would hardly call that an eating disorder.

No.... that's sensible. If its a mistake that only happens now and again.

Being unable to stay away from certain foods, and being unable to resist putting them in your mouth, and thinking you can get round it by spitting them out again is a bit different.

Yes AliNSanDiego spitting out something that is bad, or will choke you, or whatever is VERY different from the essence and point of this thread. If I take a bite of something that tastes rancid, say, and spit it out, that's not the same as my standing at a trash can, chewing up and then spitting out a half pizza or some such. It is dysfunctional, per the article I found, and if one has an urge to do it, instead of being judgmental (and I apologize...just never heard of it) I think people should be urged to seek some therapy ASAP before the problem grows and becomes more pervasive.

I don't know about you, but I've had the band for a long time. I have done this once or twice and it was with bread both times!!! I miss bread... sigh.

I don't think it's an eating disorder. If it makes you happy, do it! :-) I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Edited by Weas123

Do it if it makes you happy.

Sorry but that's bull! Doing what "makes me happy" got me to 405 pounds. Some things are dangerous whether they make a person happy or not.

ColoradoCrazy I have an easy answer for ya just talk to your Doc and see what he or she says. I know what he or she will say, but it seems you need to hear it.

Good luck.

Like I said before, I only do it every few weeks- and for just a few bites. I did it tonight as a matter of fact. Two french fries to be exact. It was probably 2 months ago since I did it last. I'm sure it would be an eating disorder if someone did it every day, but I can assure you I don't have any sort of eating disorder (other than wanting to eat too much on a regular basis). I just wanted to taste the fries since they used to be my favorite food. I can't swallow them because the get stuck.