Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Saline before 1st fill

I went to my 1st week post op appt today. I asked if any saline was in the band when I was banded? My doc told me that with the type of band I have and it was 1-2cc in it already. So is that a good thing or not. I am on mushies today and I had some chicken in the can and some broccli all to equal up 2oz. I wasn't hungry anymore, I had a Protein Shake and that was it. Is this good or not?

My doc left 2cc's in mine too. I have been for a fill, but I was still not eating very much so he did not fill me. He said he would see about giving me a fill in Oct.

In the 10cc and 14cc bands, I think that's pretty normal. I'm not sure about the older style 4cc bands. Mine is a 10cc and I started out with 2cc in it. Re not being hungry, my doc's advice is "if you're not hungry, don't eat!" It's amazing to feel that hunger daemon let go and to experience actually feeling "NOT hungry", isn't it?

ok .. just a query ... which type of band do u people have ... i just want to see if i have the same band because i havent had a fill but i still feel a lot of restriction ..so maybe just maybe i too have some Fluid in my band

I honestly don't know what type of band I have. I know I should have been more attentive to that. I looked at one on a fake stomach but I didn't pay attention to the details.

About the saline already there, my doctor explained it like this. He said that with each band he has to fill it with saline to test it before/during the procedure to put it on. He said that he removes the saline but there is probably 1-2cc left.

I have not had a fill but I have good restriction. I am eating about 3/4 of a cup of food until I am feeling full and sticking with high Proteins. I am not drinking any shakes unless it is what fits with my schedule that day. I am eating that 3/4 of a cup of food 4 times per day instead of 3. My days are long and I just can't make 3 last all day.

I lost 4 lbs last week (5th week post op). :tongue2: I am exercising almost everyday. My doc told me at my post op appointment that as long as I felt good restriction and was losing 2 or more pounds per week, he will not do a fill. I am supposed to check back with him sometime between October and December when I think I am ready for a fill (ie losing 1 or less pounds per week).

In His hands!

i have 10cc band with no fill. I go in oct 29th for my first fill.

I honestly don't know what type of band I have. I know I should have been more attentive to that. I looked at one on a fake stomach but I didn't pay attention to the details.

About the saline already there, my doctor explained it like this. He said that with each band he has to fill it with saline to test it before/during the procedure to put it on. He said that he removes the saline but there is probably 1-2cc left.

I have not had a fill but I have good restriction. I am eating about 3/4 of a cup of food until I am feeling full and sticking with high Proteins. I am not drinking any shakes unless it is what fits with my schedule that day. I am eating that 3/4 of a cup of food 4 times per day instead of 3. My days are long and I just can't make 3 last all day.

I lost 4 lbs last week (5th week post op). :) I am exercising almost everyday. My doc told me at my post op appointment that as long as I felt good restriction and was losing 2 or more pounds per week, he will not do a fill. I am supposed to check back with him sometime between October and December when I think I am ready for a fill (ie losing 1 or less pounds per week).

In His hands!

Wow! That's so awesome! Can I ask how much of the weight you lost was due to the surgery? How much of the 25lbs was lost pre-op?

I really can't wait to be banded! :thumbup:

Wow!! that is great. I am 1 week out and I'm on soft food. I don't feel that hungry. I was told that I'm not hungry because I'm still swollen on the inside. So my fear is when the swelling goes down am I going to be starving, I hope not. I hope it contiues this way. How long before your swelling went down how do you know when you have no more swelling. I don't go back to the Dr. till Nov 4. I'm nervous. I wonder should I just measure and eat, or eat till I'm full.

I have a 10cc Lapband APS band. I've been steadily losing weight since my surgery and have only had 1 fill so far of 0.5cc. The fill nurse said she "was on the fence" with me concerning if I needed a fill or not because I've been steadily losing but we decided to give me a small one when I went mid September. I was suprised to find out at that time that I had 2.7cc in my band already from the surgery. So now I have a total of 3.2cc and I'm feeling pretty good. I've started to feel lately that I can eat a little more but I don't have that strong hunger as I used to have before being banded. I don't want too much of a fill because I don't want to be too tight and have the discomfort that I've heard comes with that. Next time I go for my check-up in mid October, we'll see what happens. If I had to guess, she'll probably give me a small fill.

I wonder should I just measure and eat, or eat till I'm full.

What I have found to work best, is just to eat until I am no longer hungry---not eating until I am full. I know it doesn't seem like a difference but it is. And in my house, if I find out that it didn't "hold" me and I find myself hungry 2 hours later, there is always something I can grab to fix that!

I have also found that eating that way, just until I am no longer hungry as opposed to eating until I am full, has let me feel like doing things after dinner, etc. I no longer feel sluggish after a meal---I have energy!

It is a process you figure out over time what works best for your body, but listening to it closely now will give you great results!

Most of us have a STOP signal. Personally, my nose feels like it is going to run---making me feel like I need to sniffle. That tells me to STOP! If I push it, I will give myself the hiccups and by then I am FULL, and sometimes overfull. If I pay attention, the sniffle tells me when my body is finished! I think it has something to do with the mucus formation that would lead to sliming if I overate seriously---like the beginning stage. But that is just my uninformed guess!!!!

Good Luck!!

Kat