Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I alone here? My first fill hurt!

I went for my fill thinking it would be along the lines as receiving an injection, or getting blood drawn. I almost came off the table when the needle went in because it really hurt. Did anyone else have an experience like this. I do know that he did not enter at the correct site, but was able to find the right site by moving the needle without having to restick.

I have never before had a low tolerence for pain, and am now very apprehensive about the next fill.

I'm sorry to tell you, but that is how all three of my fills have gone so far. It seems everytime he sticks me the port moves on him. He pushes on my belly so hard sometimes to find the port, I usually having brusing afterwards.

I wish I had better news for you. The way I look at it, I am just glad he finally found the right place.

I went for my 1st fill last wednesday, which was 2 weeks post-op and it hurt a lot too. my DR said the 1st always hurts a lot because the stomach is still sore from surgery, but if your surgery was a month ago I wonder why yours hurt so much. Now I'm a little scared, I go for another fill tomorrow. A friend of mine says her DR gives her a shot to num the area before he sticks the needle in but mine doesn't, so I'm afraid it is going to hurt everytime.

Position is everything. Try having a pillow under your back, as far down toward the hips as possible. The time of my first fill had to be moved to the Floro and everyone since then he has been able to hit the first time with pillow in position and just a little stomach crunch, then I can even see what he pulls out and then goes back in, only a little prick. In fact the time he used the numbing stuff it was actually sore the next day at the stick site. So I asked him not to numb it, ok without it. I have had 5 fills total of 6cc so far. Hang in there. He may have to use the Floro lamp, Beware, you have to drink the barium stuff then.:smile:

The doctor did place a pillow under my hips, and had me do an abdominal crunch.

I have never seen before where some one complained of how much it hurt. I'm sorry you guys felt pain too, but now I see that I am not alone.

Maybe the second one will be better.

it did hurt more than i expected everyones lap band experience is different let the nurse do it not the doc. nurses at nyu were less painful to me

My first fill didn't hurt at all, just maybe a little "stick". So the second one, I was expecting the same. YIKES!! It hurt so bad, I almost jumped out of the chair! The third one was like the 1st. The nurse explained that there are nerve endings in your skin and if the needle happens to hit one, it hurts, if it misses, it doesn't. There's no way to tell where the nerve endings are, until you hit one. Our center always uses flouro, everytime. I've never been stuck multiple times, nor has she had to dig around. All my fills to date have been perfect! No over fills at all! I'm going for another tomorrow, hoping not to hit those nerve endings!:smile:

Yes, my first fill wasn't too pleasant either.

It took 3 pokes with the needle to get it. I just held on to the table and rode it out.

It's still worth it!!!

I still love my surgeons!!

I had my surgery on 8/15 and my first fill on 9/13. It hurt quite a lot and was done with fluoroscopy. They inserted 2.6. I wish they would share more information with me. I am guessing that the aim is to get approximately 6-7 in the lap band, but that it has to be done gradually...is this right? I was really hungry before the fill and still feel pretty hungry. I am not losing after the initial 26 pound loss and a 3 pound gain. I am trying not to get discouraged, but it is hard. When do you know when to go back for another fill?

I am scheduled to back in 4 weeks, and he will decide at that time if I need a fill based on how much I'm eating, how long I stay full, etc.

My fills don't hurt at all. I am sorry you had to experience that.

My doc has me put lidocaine on my port about 30 minutes before appt and then he also gives me a shot to numb the area.

Everytime I read a post like this I am absolutely mortified!! I had my third fill yesterday (a pretty big one in my opinion, but that's a whole other post) and the only pain was the first little shot he gives me to numb the site. There are no "missing of the port" issues, no pillows, no mini-crunches, and no pain!! I lay out on the table under the flouroscope, his nurse marks the spot he is going to stick, I get the numbing shot, and he is in and out. And that's that, everytime!! He's great and I would not have it any other way!!

Don't worry, My first fill was extremely painful and took like 25-40 min. But if it makes you feel better my 2nd fill was quick and painless....took like 3 minutes. And unfortunately, since I was so scared my 2nd time I asked if I could get a numbing shot before and they said no. They said that "it burned when you injected it in the stomach" They made it sound completely impossible...even though every other person on here gets a numbing shot:confused_smile:

Fills do not have to hurt. The numbing medication does sting a little but it's really not bad. I have learned the hard way that the excuses the doctors and staff make are just that. Excuses. If you're interested you can read my first post regarding the problems I had with fills.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f13/fill-advice-needed-63679/

I now am going to a different doctor and had my second fill today. The first time was with fluoro and today was "blind". Both times I was numbed extremely well and had no problems.

The attitude of the doctor, and his or her staff, is huge in your progress with the band.

yeah, my last fill, when I asked about the numbing stuff, I also was telling my doctor just that I needed my second fill because I was only at 5cc in a 10cc band. I felt some but I was still eating way more than where I should be out. I told him this and he said "You're still on a diet you should be measuring everything" Ok but what's the point in having the band if I feel no restriction and I'm just eatting smaller portions on my own? I also told him I cut out breads and carbs. I was hurt that not even my doctor could understand where I was coming from, he made it sound like I was stupid. And he also said that a lot of people don't feel full....so...

a lot of people don't feel full

they have to measure out everything

they don't rely on their band to help them at all

Wait, so why the f*** did I get the band? Did my stomach just want an accessory?