Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everybody...new comer here in need of encouragement!!

:unsure:Good morning every1,

My name is Debbie and I'm currently undergoing tests for the lap band system. I must admit i'm extremely nervous about the surgery, although I have been told by a couple of people not to worry. I believe my main source is knowing that there is no going back once I've started down this path. I'm 27 years old...and I'm considered obese with one co-morbidity: Diabetes. When I think about the many physical benefits of the lap band and just losing weight in general. I find the positives outweight the negatives. Oh and by the way I'm sort of a rebelious, freedom seeking individual so the thought of not being to eat what I want...is the main cause of the hesitation. If anybody could give me a word of advice I'll gladly listen. Thanks

I don't know who told you that you can't eat what you want. I think you need some more research. Don't think that people who have the band like life in tiny tight boxes! LOL Actually from what I've read, i expect the band to give me total freedom from ever counting out crackers or measuring green Beans or weighing a steak or Writing about it ad nauseum !

When you are losing you will of course want to choose the most healthy options! That's just logic and has nothing to do with "control" or "rules". Once you've lost sufficient weight, if you pick less "optimum" choices occasionally it won't matter. I'd bet you think about food quite often now. From what I've read, the band kind of frees you up from that. As you lose and get more healthy you will probably need less diabetic medicine. Depending on your type of diabetes and how long you've been diabetic you might be off meds altogether. If you think that is restrictive, I beg to differ!

If you are really individualistic then you believe in deciding for yourself. I think you need more research. Find a couple books, do some independent reading, attend another seminar. Ask your surgeon, not "a couple people". As you dig deeper you'll see what I've told you is closer to the truth than what you believe right now.

The lap band is a tool, not a cage. It will free me from obesity and having to think about food every waking minute.

You can generally eat what you want for the most part, only you are satisfied with so much less. However, you do need to stay away from ice cream, chips and those kinds of things because they go down easy and can prevent weight loss.

Banding life is so much easier. food moves from the center of your life to something on the periphery. I am so happy that I have been banded. It is the best, most fulfilling decision I ever made.

This site is great! I am getting a lot of help just cruisin' around in here. Thanks especially to restlessMonkey who responded to my first little anxious note! I too was asking for encouragement-- and I too think I just need a little more research time, go back to the introduction seminar again, I am going to the Banding support group next week, etc. I ordered "the books" from Amazon and await their arrival. Meanwhile I have this site to help out. Really wonderful. Today I feel I am 93% on board with doing it - and now it is a matter of finances. I don't have that kind of insurance and will be a cash pay patient. The upside of that is that I can have surgery as soon as my testing is complete - about a month, they say.

A PS. I seem a little lost as to how/where to post anything - is there a simplified "how-to" anywhere? Sometimes I want to respond or post somewhere and can't figure out how to do it. This, for an example, is as much a "test" as a true response.

Thanks again all you banders for sharing and caring-especially us newbies!!

Winona....glad you're moving forward, if you feel it will help you. I'm a "question authority" type myself so glad to have you here! :cry_smile:

To reply...hit "quick reply" (green button on right) or "New reply" (blue button on left).

To start a new thread, go to "FORUMS" (on left side of home page) pick your category, and once you are there, the "start a thread" option will display!

Good luck! Let us know what you find out! :mellow:

Debbie - I can relate to the fear of feeling trapped by the band. I will say that for the first few weeks post-op you might feel a bit like that - I did. But by the time it was really driving me crazy it was time to move to the next stage and that was a relief. And while it was annoying, it really wasn't even that bad. You're just so psyched to have the band, you're willing to do whatever it takes to take care of it and make sure it heals properly.

Since then, I'd also have to say that I've had a few frustrating experiences where I want to eat something, but it just doesn't go down well. But the amazing thing is that now I just avoid those problem foods and don't even feel much regret about it.

So - yes, there are some small times/ways when you will feel limited by the band, but overall I can absolutely say that I am SO happy I have it. The few moments that it's a bummer are SO far outweighed by all the times that it lets me feel more in control - of my eating, my weight - and really, my life. If I lost it today for some reason I wouldn't hesitate for a second before getting ready to do it all again. It's SO worth it!

Welcome Debbie. You are going to love this site. Read, read, read!! I had most of my questions answered, my concerns were shared by others, and the kindness and support I have received here .... unbelievable. Keep asking questions. You will find answers AND friends here. And who can better answer your questions than people who have had the same ones... people who know where you are coming from. Can't get that kind of support just anywhere!! Good luck to you!! Becky