Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hamsters???

MissWilde

Hello There bit of a random thread!

I have a hamster its my first pet ever! I am 31 lol! is there anyone on here that has exprience of keeping them? I have a couple of question if there is!

Thank you

KiKi XX

I know Froggi has hamsters. Hopefully she will see this thread and be able to help you out. I will send her a pm.

I have 5 hamsters. What would you like to know? :redface:

We want to help. What's your questions? BTW- Hamsters are very susceptible to human colds. If you get sick this winter, be sure not to go around your little buddy. They catch cold so easily, and will die quickly. Make sure his bedding is aspen. Cedar and pine cause respiratory infections also. Congrats on your new pet. They are wonderful, cuddly, fun little critters.

Hello all of you! I never though I would get this much response! I have the Habitrail Ovo system which has tubes Biscuit (the hamster) has taken to moving all her sawdust from the main area of the habitat as its called up the tube I just wondered what on earth thats about???? I have been adding to her habitat every month when I get paid but am worried she is just a bit bored really I can take a picture of my set up to give a better idea. Also I read somewhere that hamsters like the sand and they quite like sand baths I was thinking of getting one for her will it be ok to use Chinchilla sand as that about all I can get here! Thanks in advance! This is what I started out with as a rough idea of the type of home she has, I have added the large maze as well but I still think its a bit on the small side.

Habitrail OVO - Products

Also there are products that have just been realeased that I can't buy in the UK would anyone be willing to ship them over I would pay of course!!

Thank you!

I have never seen her in it she just seems to keep blocking up the same tube! She has a bedroom, the habitrail has pod's I got 2 of the green pods one is her bedroom and one is her bathroom. She is very tidy I have to say she only pees in the bathroom pod!

K XX

Hmm, I too would have said she was making a bedroom. It's hard to say what she is thinking and why she is plugging up her tube. You said she has "sawdust". I hope you are calling wood chips "sawdust", and that you are not really using sawdust. It has much too much dust and quickly causes deadly respiratory infections. An early sign is a hamster that sneezes repeatedly.

Some hamsters do seem to enjoy sand baths (esp. dwarfs) , but just as many do not. Yes, you use chinchilla sand ( but not chinchilla DUST) for the above reason. Again, discontinue if you hear wheezing or sneezing. I don't mean to sound like a nag, but so many of these dear pets are lost to respiratory infections. Their lungs are just so very tiny, and once they get sick, there is almost nothing that can be done. Biscuit is lucky to have such a caring mom as you. Best wishes!

My hamsters that happen to have tubes do that all the time. They take their bedding and move it down or up the tubes and it gets stuck...they eventually just dig through it. They're either trying to get clean bedding to where they want or trying to get the soiled bedding out of where they sleep. Very very normal.