Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Time off Work

Hey, I am having my surgery this week. And I am wondering how long would I need off work????????:girl_hug:

Hey, I am having my surgery this week. And I am wondering how long would I need off work????????:girl_hug:

I am having surgery this week also. I am for sure taking 7 days (5 + weekend) because my company allows me to take that much and get paid for sure. After that, it really depends on my short term disability company (the company I work for HIRES another company to handle short term disability claims). I don't have a desk job, so I am hoping that they allow me more time off for my port to heal before I get back into the swing of things with my job (I do a lot of climbing, bending, lifting, etc). Everyone is different, but most people on here have said that after a few days, they felt pretty much back to normal. Just be sure to follow your surgeon's instructions about your activity level and you should be fine.

Depends on what type of work you do. I am a teacher, having my surgery done on Wednesday, took off until monday. If you have a desk job you could probably get away with 2 days and you'd probably be fine.

Thanks, I don't have a desk job either. I do climb latters but not heavy lifting. So, I am thinking 2 weeks. I will let my doctor decide.... Good luck to all....

I had surgery on Friday AM and went back to class (am a student) on tues PM. I thought I was doing GREAT! I felt GREAT! but I failed a math test...I missed all 16 questions. People I DO NOT fail math tests. My teacher reviewed it with me. She asked me how she had told us to round off certain items and I told her (I remembered her directions clearly) She asked me what that meant and I told her (I knew exactly what she wanted) THEN she showed me my test. I had calculated every answer perfectly, then rounded off incorrectly and labeled the wrong part as "THE ANSWER". She passed me anyway (thank goodness) because she said "Its obvious you were still mentally under the effects of the anesthesia". Maybe? don't know. ANYWAY moral of the story is take as much time as you can. AND FYI there is no way I was physically up to speed on week 2. I rebounded quickly (except for the nasty math incident) but it took a little longer to get physically up to speed.

hi i had my LB on on aug 25 and i am off for 6 wks i do heavy lifting and i do a lot of pushing pulling squoting so my doc gave me off tell i felt i needed to be off to heal and ajust to diffrent life style the LB changes your life in a good way good luck :girl_hug:

I seem to be the only one to have this opinion,,but take a least 1 full week I am on day five and cannot imagine going back to work tomorrow:)Good luck with your surgery. You will do great just give yourself enough healing time or you will regret it

I had surgery on a Thursday, went back to work on Tuesday. I probably should have stayed home a couple more days. I wasn't all that sore but was extremely tired by the end of the day.

I seem to be the only one to have this opinion,,but take a least 1 full week I am on day five and cannot imagine going back to work tomorrow:)Good luck with your surgery. You will do great just give yourself enough healing time or you will regret it

You aren't alone. I really want a few weeks off. I get sick time up to 7 calendar days, but after that it is considered short term disability. I have to put in paperwork to see IF they will pay me for being off more than 7 days. I can't afford to be off without pay. Thankfully, I have a great supervisor. Even though she can't get away with letting me stay at home, she did say that if my benefits aren't approved, she will let me just come to work and not really make me do any of my regular duties until I feel up to par. I am hoping that my surgeon's office will go ahead and send in the paperwork ahead of time so I will know how much time I am allowed. They are really weird about disability. When I had my gallbladder taken out, they gave me three weeks to recoup, but when I had my tubal, they said the 7 days should have been enough. I actually hurt worse after the tubal (my wound got infected) than I did after the gallbladder.

Ok, sorry for the dissertation. I tend to talk a lot. :girl_hug:

Edited by *slim*
correct spelling of wound

l'm off for 2.5 weeks..l stopped in my office 5 days post op and sat at my desk for about an hour...l thought l would die sitting there and couldn't wait to get to my home and rest...l know everyone is very different, but its still surgery and it takes a while to get your strength..take time if you can get it...

Do yourself a favor and take a week off. This gives you time to heal, recover from the anesthesia (that very tired feeling) and get through the liquid stage before going back to work.

yup, I was supposed to back tomorrow and it isnt a week until Wednesday, I had to call in today and told them it will be at least Wednesday. Previous postersare so right,,,it takes so much out of you, and you are tired for a long time, I slept the first 2 days away, now i am trying to limit my naps and sleep during the night,,cause i would prolly sleep 24 7..lol