Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stuck? Not to sound toooo stupid, but could someone please explain?

Hello All,

I hate to ask a really stupid question but... I'm going to anyway :thumbup:!!!! I have read a lot of posts where people table about food getting stuck. I'm getting banded on Tuesday. If someone could just explain how food gets stuck I'd feel a lot better....

Thanks!

No question is stupid, don't feel funny asking anything here..that's how we all learn.

There are a few ways to get stuck. The main one being taking too big of bites and not chewing (remember chew, chew, chew) When you have restriction your stoma (the hole the food goes down through) is fairly small, and large chunks of food can get stuck and just not fit through there. Most people learn their lesson after getting stuck, because it hurts... a lot :thumbup:

Good luck on your surgery. I know you will be happy you made this decision :eek:

I've only had food get stuck twice since getting banded and I can't say it was painful but it was really unpleasant and I am glad I was at home both times. After my first fill, I had bread get stuck and ran for the sink and sort of dry heaved but did not throw up. I no longer eat any bread but 1 piece of rye toast once in a great while. The 2nd time it was a spoonful of hashbrowns which I didn't chew well before swallowing. I had the same experience. I have NO desire to eat the foods that made me feel that way. I'm really lucky so far. I can still eat salads and rice and many things that others can't eat, but I eat much slower now and much smaller portions. I chew and chew. The weight is coming off slowly and exercising helps and it is getting easier because my energy level is WAAAY up. This was the best thing I ever did for my health, as long as I learn from my mistakes. Good luck!

Any food that you do not chew well enough can get stuck in your stoma. You will also find that there are certain foods that get stuck no matter how much you chew them. I can't eat deli turkey no matter how well it is chewed. It is the only food I've got stuck. I just get a really intense dull ache and spasms for about 10 minutes and slime comes up my throat. It varies from person to person what gets stuck and to what degree you will "suffer." Sometimes the food will not pass; in that case you would have to assess the severity and decide what to do. meat tenderizer can be mixed in a small amount of Water and swallowed. It breaks up the Protein binds in food and allows it to pass. You can also try taking papaya enzyme or drinking pinapple juice; they have enzymes that help break down food. Ultimately if a food item doesn't pass you may need to call your doctor for further intervention.

You will just need to try foods and find out what works and doesn't work for you.

That's not a stupid question at all. For me, if I eat too fast or do not chew properly the last few bites I take do not go down. I get a "stuck" feeling in my chest and end up throwing up about 1-15 minutes later. It is a bit painful and uncomfortable, so make sure when you advance to eating real food again you are slow and chew foods thoroughly to puree texture. I also notice I have a problem with bread and nuts so far. Everyone is different.

Hope that helps!

If someone could just explain how food gets stuck I'd feel a lot better...

Food gets stuck at the narrow opening the band creates becauses the food particles are too big to pass or the particles clump together to make a mass that's too big to pass. The type of food differs from person to person but typically it's dry meat, tough stringy food or white bread. You'll know immediately when it happens and it's painful enough that it will cause you to take steps to not let it happen again.

Cal

I work at a hospital and when I actually get a lunch sometimes it is really hard to concentrate on chewing. I find that food gets stuck several times. I am getting better at chewing and some of my close friends at work will yell at me to CHEW!! So it is better. I was concerened that my band might of been to tight but I find when I do chew and stuff like I can normally. So yeah even though it hurts I usually am able to get over it. I have had to actually gag myself and make myself get sick sometimes but then I am not hungry after that so I guess I am losing weight in that aspect. For the most part I am good but yes there will be times when food gets stuck and you will realize what you can and can't eat. I know what to not eat at work or out with friends for the simple fact that I don't want that happening when I there. Good luck with your band.

Pretty much what I thought. Lucky for me, I eat slowly and, thanks to everyone, I've been much more aware of my chewing ~ even before the band. It can't hurt to practice. I bought the papaya enzyme just in case.

Thanks!

Pretty much what I thought. Lucky for me, I eat slowly and, thanks to everyone, I've been much more aware of my chewing ~ even before the band. It can't hurt to practice. I bought the papaya enzyme just in case.

Thanks!

Where did you find the papaya enzyme?

I found mine at the Vitamin Shoppe. They appear to have quite a lot for bariatric patients. They even had the fish oil supplement in a yogurt-squeeze type dosage! Very cool! [OMG...how pathetic am I ????? :rolleyes2: ].

So not a stupid question! Trust your doctor/nutrionist when they say you should eat slowing, chew thoroughly and do not, I repeat do not eat bread or other hard substances before your prescribed time. Please take it from someone who thought she knew everything and was quite confident in my ability to eat 1/2 of a bagel 4 weeks post op. OMG! I thought I was having a heart attack with something stuck in my throat at the same time. It was a difficult lesson but one I needed to learn (I have a very hard head). That's what happens when one experiences "getting something stuck".

ok my turn ... what is papaya enzyme and what is it used for?

It's called papain and it's basically the same thing as meat tenderizer. It will help digest (i.e. break down fibers) in whatever it is that's stuck and help it pass through. pineapple has it as well.