Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you had the option which surgery would you get...

If you could have your insurance pay for either bypass or band.. which would YOU choose... the one where you lose the weight quickly, or the one where you lose it gradually... and you dont gain it back as you would with the bypass?

Not everyone loses with the band and not everyone gains with the bypass...but most insurance companies, if they will pay for the band will also pay for bypass. Mine does. Obviously I chose the band, although not for the reasons you listed.

If you could have your insurance pay for either bypass or band.. which would YOU choose... the one where you lose the weight quickly, or the one where you lose it gradually... and you dont gain it back as you would with the bypass?

Well, hello band buddy! Haven't seen you around in a while. You know I'm obviously having the band but I think it depends on how much weight you want to lose. If you have a lot of weight to lose, I would say bypass. My mom had

R-N-Y 4 yrs. ago and looks AMAZING! Msg. me and I can tell you more if you'd

like. :thumbup:

I think it depends on how much weight you want to lose. If you have a lot of weight to lose, I would say bypass. My mom had

R-N-Y 4 yrs. ago and looks AMAZING!

Our surgeon said that while the USA is lagging some, data from Australia (they've had the band longer) indicates that 3 years post op, both groups, RNY Bypass and Band, lose an average of 80% of their weight. Bypasses lose more quickly but then level off while bandsters keep on losing. So starting weight isn't really a good reason to pick one over the other!

It depends. I had lap band and my best friend had bypass. We had opposite health issues and I think we both chose the best surgery for our bodies. I wouldn't want to go through what she did with bypass, and she couldn't have lap band b/c of her ulcers and GERDS. The list of reasons why is too long. I say, do your research on both and make a list! Seriously! Side by side... see what is best for you.

ONE MORE THING... my friends doctor has been banding bypass patients. Says after 10+ years, the stomach stretches and they opt for a band over their bypass. Just something to think about...

Our surgeon said that while the USA is lagging some, data from Australia (they've had the band longer) indicates that 3 years post op, both groups, RNY Bypass and Band, lose an average of 80% of their weight. Bypasses lose more quickly but then level off while bandsters keep on losing. So starting weight isn't really a good reason to pick one over the other!

I was speaking from personal experience. My mom had bypass; my aunt Lapband. My mom has done significantly better than my aunt. My mom lost 150 lbs; my aunt 80 lbs. However, the pouch does stretch w/bypass but your band is only so big. I believe there are advantages/disadvantages to both and everyone is different. Just b/c one works good for one person doesn't mean it will work for everyone. I think you have to do the research and decide what's best for you.

it depends. I had lap band and my best friend had bypass. We had opposite health issues and i think we both chose the best surgery for our bodies. I wouldn't want to go through what she did with bypass, and she couldn't have lap band b/c of her ulcers and gerds. The list of reasons why is too long. I say, do your research on both and make a list! Seriously! Side by side... See what is best for you.

Exactly!!!

In India bariatric surgery is a relatively new concept and band even newer . People here mostly get sleeve or bypass done . My surgeon wanted to do sleeve on me but I went against him and convinced him to give me a band because at my age I wanted something reversible and also I did not want to wait for two years before I had my baby . And band is really helping me . But on the hind sight I do wonder about having gotten a sleeve done . I think if I would have undergone surgery in my teens or early twenties it would definitely have been sleeve. The main advantage of sleeve being that one in India cost of both procedures is almost same and two sleeve does not require two many follow ups and fills and weight lost is faster .

The reason I decided to have the band over bypass, wasn't for how fast I would lose the weight. That doesn't matter to me. I just want it gone! I went with the band because it was less risky, recovery time was faster and I felt as though there was more support offered from the surgeon. That is why I went with the band!

My insurance covered both. I chose the band, as it's less complication list. I also chose the band, because of the shorter hospital stay, and more natural like loss. My sister had RNY more than 10 yrs ago, and has gained a LARGE amount of her weight back. She's now watching me for the possibility of a band.

teri

Thanks to everyone for their responses, and I know I have made the right decision, and I think the only reason why I asked was because Im getting anxious about getting banded next week... and everyone is right, less evasive, less hospital stay, reversable.. all those things are the things that I originally chose the band for in the first place. Thanks for all your support!

I chose the band because of the fewer complications, shorter hospital stay, etc. For me, the band was the only option because I wasn't willing to take the risks that bypass has.

To tell you the truth.... which surgery a person chooses is up to them...

thoughts and beliefs vary in all of us..

Quite frankly the gastric bypass scared the shit out of me and seemed a little to complicated... im not saying there is anything wrong with it.. it has helped many people.. but it was not right for me...

I chose the band and am very happy with my choice...

Explore your options and everything about the different surgeries out there.. make sure to be well informed and you'll be able to decide which one is right for you..