Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Only 3 days post-op..........

Hi, my name is Tracy. I had surgeryon 9/16....so I am 3 days post-op. My surgery was preformed by Dr. David Lee (Columbus, IN).

So far I am doing well I think. I can not seem to get on a schedule or eating, drinking and getting all of my Protein Shakes in. At the time of my surgery I weighted 267.5#, I am 5'6", 42 years old. My husband, family and friends have been very supportive! I know many friends who have had the bi-pass surgery they have different dietary requirements and restrictions. I am a little nervous because I am hungry off and on through out the day and I still need to relearn how to "sip".

Any comments or recommendations would be great!

I didn't have any restriction post op and so didn't have to sip...liquids will just run on through and won't hurt your band. The older style bands caused more restriction, I think. If you can "swallow" liquids it is safe to do so! I didn't even get Protein Shakes until week 2 so you are lucky you get them already! And I was hungry before we even left the hospital (and real hunger, not "head hunger") that just means you're recovering well! some get abatement of hunger just from the band alone (lucky dogs!) but not all of us! So don't chug anything or have anything your surgeon hasn't approved, but if you can drink instead of sip, it's safe to do so.

Hi,

My name is Jeanne. I am 4 day post op. I am like you and have no schedule on getting Proteins in. Glad to hear that it too some 2 weeks. I have found Isopure -tastes like diluted koolaid. But it has 40 g of Protein per bottle - and it isn't hard to get down.

I am too open for some ideas?

Jeanne

I am almost 2 weeks post op. I was banded in Elkhart, IN on 9-8. I have very little restriction and get hungry all the time. I am trying to drink lots of Water to hold off the hunger btwn meals. I don't have a schedule, I just eat about every 4 hours for 20 mins 3 times a day. I drink Isopure for one of my meals. I make sure that the anything that goes in my mouth for a meal has at least 7 grams of Protein. I bought some instant Soup from my doctor's office, as well as I have shakes. I am hoping to get my first fill next week.

Hi, all. I was banded 9/11. My stomach growls so loud! Its definitely not mental. I see everyone mentioning Protein intake. Would someone mind letting me know what their 4th-13th day diet is suppose to consist of? I am a little concerned that my diet is lacking. Also wondering what the average loss has been in the first 2 weeks to a month? I feel like I haven't had much change. Thanks!

I too was banded on 9/16 at NYU. I drink Atkins and muscle milk. The latter has 21 grams of protien. The gas in the middle of my chest has been hard? Any suggestions on that. If the protien is too much just dilute it. I have definately felt the beginning of hunger growls over the past few days. I am sooo looking forward to the mushy food stage in a week! Congrats to all of us tho! Keep moving!

on the gas walk ,walk ,walk that helped the best and i used chewable gas x huge improvment

the chewible extra strength Gasx worked the best, walking is good, but don't over do, you will be sorry. :thumbup:

I am only on fluids. My doctor has me drinking Protein Shakes that have 35 grams and Isopure waters have 40 grams of Protein. You can have thicker shakes or Soups. Nothing chunky. I get the creamy soups and then add 2/3 cup non-fat powdered milk. it has 8 grams of protein in 1/3 cup. My dietitian advised this could be done with oatmeal and yogurt also when you are on mushy foods. Don't pay extra for high protein when you can do it yourself for less. I find that the soups fill me up longer. I also try to drink Water constantly btwn meals so I don't get head hunger either.

Edited by cori0278
add to post

I have to respectfully disagree with Cori0278 about walking...you don't want to jog or powerwalk but otherwise, the more you walk, the better you clear the gas and anesthesia, and the less likely you are to develop deadly blood clots. Anytime I started feeling icky (and I didn't take pain meds except liquid tylenol the 2nd day) if I got up and walked around I felt better almost immediately. I didn't go on a cross-country trek, but as long as you use good judgment, I don't think you CAN walk too much!

Walking is good, and I did not say to not walk. I said be sure an not over due it. I went to the mall the day after surgery and that was too much. I took lots of short walks, and it does make you feel better, but you have to know your limits. I felt the best when I rested for about an hour btwn each little walk.

You might want to try baby Cereal or cream of wheat and make them extra watery... remember should be able to go through a straw.. even though you can't use a straw!:tongue2:I know I didn't get all my Protein in early on.. don't forget Vitamins too. Just do the best you can, but don't stress yourself out on it. If you notice you're tired more, you need to increase your protein. You can also add powdered protein mix to your cream Soups and stuff... try a little at a time, since you don't want it to over power your food.< /p>

This time is designed for you to heal and slowly get adjusted to your band and start the habits that you will need later on.. While you don't need to sip right now, drinking the same way you always have will more than likely not be possible after you start getting fills. If you catch yourself chugging Water, try to keep water in your mouth a few seconds longer before swallowing the next gulp. When you get to soft foods.. try to remember to chew very well. It is no fun getting stuck, but at least if you forget it it is soft foods that may or may not cause a problem depending on what it is... so try to develop your habits now.

Good luck!

I haven't had surgery yet, it's this Monday, my daughter gave me a can of Beneprotein, by Nestle, she has to give it to my grandson in his feeding tube, it only has 25 calories and can be either mixed with Water or put in soft food it's high qualitywhey Protein with rich amino acid profile. I know we have to check with our Doctors but it might help with the protein we need.

Re the Beneprotein...it only has 6gm per scoop of protein...and unless you use multi scoops that isn't very rich. I have K20 Water mix ins that are 30 cal and have 5 gms of Protein and 5 gm of fiber....Might be good for a little tyke but I think we are supposed to get 60 or more a day. Of course, if you use it as a supplement instead of a replacement, that should work! :embaressed_smile: