Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No weight loss

I had surgery on June 10, 2008, that means more than 3 months ago. My weight has remain the same since then. I haven't felt any change in my appetite and I will have my third adjustment next week.

My doctor tells me that every case is different and I have to wait until I reach my comfort zone with my adjustments.

I'm starting to feel very frustated and dissapointed. I really don't know why I'm not losing weight if my eating habits and food intake have changed completely.

Any advice please? Thanks:unsure:

Hello...

My opinion is you should ask your doctor what's going on. It seems like you've had a lot of fills already. theres alot of information on Home

about adjustments.

I know how you feel. Basically the same thing has happened to me. I had surgery July 15, and I have lost 20 lbs. I lost all 20 within two weeks of surgery. None since. And I have been trying very hard. I don't eat between meals at all, and I try to eat healthy meals. It is just that I have no restriction and can eat as much as I could before. I have never felt one bit of restriction. This is probably the hardest I have worked at dieting in 10 or 15 years. Discouraging to say the least. Just wanted you to know you're not alone.

I know how you feel. I had my surgery the end of April. I have lost 25 pounds. I don't have restriction yet. I have 5 cc's in a 14cc band.

I will get my 3rd fill in October. My doctor will only let you get a fill every 6 weeks and not closer. That has been a problem with me & they only put in 2 cc at a time. I wish I would have known this before I had surgery. I might have chosen another doctor. They told me with a 14cc band it could take at least 5 fills before I get there. I need to add in more exercise daily. Hang in there. My doctor insists I will lose more when I get to my Sweet spot. I hope he is right.

Drury, are you exercising? I had not been until this week, when I had to do a lot of yard work to clean up from Hurricane Ike...and I had dropped 4 pounds since last week! I too lost a great deal of weight in the first two weeks after surgery, then it has just been crawling ever since. Exercise really does play a big part, especially if changing your diet alone is not working.

I think you should listen to your doctors advice. My doctor tells me the same thing. However, he allows me to fill when ever I feel, I need a fill. I am 8 cc in a 9cc band, and I have lost 19 lbs. I will admit, I don't have a traditional excerise regiment. I play softball on Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday, and that's my excercise. I eat pretty much whatever I feel like eating, but have gotten to the point where I feel a bit of a restriction. I had a fill on Thursday, and I am now ready to start eating the right things. It was a bit emotional to have to give up the things I love!!! But, I have had enough and feel ... it's time to get on the right track. I said all that say.....just wait..everyone is different. None of use can tell you when you should start losing or fill restriction. When it does happen it will hit you over the head....I promise!

Well, first of all, I feel very relieved right now that I'm not alone nor isolated. Thansk a bunch for all your useful responses.

I've learned from your answers that every case is different and indeed, every doctor is different.

Iseethinme, my doctor allows fills every 2 weeks, not 6 weeks like your case. Like some of you I still feel no restriction at all and I know that's the main cause of my slow pace, but you know like I said in my first posting, I've seen so many cases losing weight that fast that I feel like stuck in the process.

It's nice to hear advice from Hf2008, I'm pretty sure right now that I'm getting forward to my restriction. Thanks for the promise!

By the way, I don't remember exactly what is my current band filling but I''l find out in my next visit this upcoming week.

Thank you very much guys for all your support!!:thumbup:

Welcome - LBT is a great site for info & support. I am going to give you my tough band love explanation (love being the operative word)

Reasons some don't lose or lose very slowly and this is my personal opinion

#1 THE BAND IS ONLY A TOOL!!! It in itself is not going to cause you to lose weight... You have to realize this going in - and that little part of your mind that say ya this is the answer it's the magic cure - that's the devil talking to you - cuz it's not the magic cure answer to our obesity. The band requires alot of work on your part.

#2 There are pple who say I didn't do this to go on another diet - they continue to eat the same food that they did prior to banding - which usually is high fat foods and foods loaded with refined carbs (oh btw I am not an Atkins advocate) and foods that have sugar. With the band once you get proper restriction (which can take awhile for some) it will limit the amount of food you eat at one sitting - but you can eat around the band ie candy Cookies milkshake alcohol gravy all slip right thru the band (these soft foods are slider food) plus we still absorb all our calories (not like bypass patients who don't). These pple are going to lose some weight just do to the fact that they can't eat large quantities - but they are not going to lose a significant amount in my opinion.

#3 Some pple have a slow metabolism (for reals - they have been medically tested not just another fat chick excuse) or another medical reason

#4 To actually loose 100% or very close to your excess weight you are the one who has to make major changes in the way you look at food - You have to make healthy food choices (low fat - limited sugar and limited carbs) and you have to add exercise into your life.

The band is only a tool to help with your Portion Control it doesn't make your food choices or it doesn't do the exercise. Losing weight is all about calories in vs calories burn - plan and simple as that.

When you read the stories of pple who have been successful with the band - most will tell you that they counted calories - weighed and measured their foods (as fat chick we don't know what 4 oz looks like - to use a serving of ice cream is either 1 pint or a whole half gallon not 1/2 of a cup) and they also keep some kind of food diary/log and they exercise their butts off. They changed their food choices - there are alot here who do atkins or no refined carbs - I still have my starches (but limited to dinner only) I follow a basic WW type eating plan and IMHO I think it's the healthiest..

I am 14 months out and I am still learning how to control my head hunger issues ... I can be physically full from my dinner and still want to eat

Our head hunger issues are our real problems - As fat chicks the minute we thought we were hungry we would eat - then eat again - we would eat past full - All of us have diff issues with food some more complicated and some as simple as boredom. We use food to soothe us when we are upset, angry or sad - we use food to comfort us - we use food to Celebrate and as reward for something or cuz someone told us we shouldn't - we use our fat as a barrier against the world. All these things are the mental issue that must be dealt with if we want to lose the weight and keep it off for good (neither the band nor any WLS is guarantee that we keep they weight off forever) To this (keep the weight off forever) you must make this your lifetime life style change in eating and exercise

Diets don't work cuz the minute you go off them and go back to eating normal you gain all your weight back - eating normal for us is what got us fat in the 1st place.

Now Exercise - as fat chick we don't want to exercise cuz it's too damn hard - it takes too much energy. Well you must exercise - our bodies were made to exercise. You just make the commitment to yourself - you start slow and steady and each week increase it a tad - I could barely walk 1 mile 11 months ago on the treadmill doing a 25 minute mile on a zero incline - but every couple of weeks I would increase the speed and inclines - I now do 3 miles in 50 minutes on vary of inclines from 3 to 12- I work out with weights 2 x a wks (muscle burns more calories)

Ok I wrote a fricking book here - but I just want you to know that even with the band it's work - it's still hard -- it takes will power to make good food choices and discipline to go to the gym or workout where ever you choose but with the band (once you have proper restriction) as a tool it does make the job of losing weight easier. As you said not easy but a little easier..

IMHO I that that I have done 75% of the work (making good food choices and exercising) and the band have done 25% of the work by providing portion control and making me feel fuller physically on 1 cup of food.

I take credit for my weight loss - ya the band helped - but it's just a piece of plastic - it doesn't have a brain to make the choices and changes that I have made in the last 14 months.

Indiogirl,

I wonder if Lap Band had your post in their information booklet if anyone would get banded! Lol. But you're right. There's got to be a better way to distinguish between which people will do well and which people won't so they don't make the mistake I did. Nancy.:thumbup:

Indiogirl,

I wonder if Lap Band had your post in their information booklet if anyone would get banded! Lol. But you're right. There's got to be a better way to distinguish between which people will do well and which people won't so they don't make the mistake I did. Nancy.:thumbup:

Nancy

How did you make a mistake??

Yes I truly beleive that what pple are told leads them to beleive that any WLS is the magic cure all (it take away your hunger - ya it helps but for me it hasn't taken away my hungry - and IMHO headhunger manifest it's self into what we preceive as physical hunger)- it all takes work on the person's part - it's not the surgery itself but the person who had the surgery changing their ways that leads them to their goals.

WLS is no diff than any other program out there - if you you make the lifetime lifestyle change - it works - the diff is that WLS is a tool that make the job a little easier.

I was at a lapband counsel in June - I advised them that they really did need to make it clear that head work is alot of it - but of course no one would make any $$$ if they spelled that out...

Indiogirl...,

I'll tell you exactly what I thought by the information given to me. That the lap band was going to restrict the amount of food I ate but to be careful of what you drank that was calorie laden.

I even have information from back in 2007 when I was trying to figure out why it wasn't working for me but was for others. And it tells you to eat only good food and stop eating when you feel full. Now at that time post- banding I did assume all solids were solids and would fill me up but I was wrong. The Protein would fill me up and the vegetables but the "junk aka sliders" went right through. If I had known this prior to banding I would never have been banded as that's where I got into trouble in the first place. So hopefully most people are getting that information now that I lacked prior to banding and prior to my research a couple years ago. Thanks Nancy.:thumbup:

Indiogirl...,

I'll tell you exactly what I thought by the information given to me. That the lap band was going to restrict the amount of food I ate but to be careful of what you drank that was calorie laden.

I even have information from back in 2007 when I was trying to figure out why it wasn't working for me but was for others. And it tells you to eat only good food and stop eating when you feel full. Now at that time post- banding I did assume all solids were solids and would fill me up but I was wrong. The Protein would fill me up and the vegetables but the "junk aka sliders" went right through. If I had known this prior to banding I would never have been banded as that's where I got into trouble in the first place. So hopefully most people are getting that information now that I lacked prior to banding and prior to my research a couple years ago. Thanks Nancy.:embaressed_smile:

Nancy - Hugs.. IMHO I feel that if someone is a big sweet eater that bypass is a better option for them... just cuz they don't absorb the calories they will get sick if they eat sugar - I am not sure if the sleeve has this effect or not - I haven't read up that much

In talking to my doc - I asked which option was best for me and by the little questionnaire I complete he thought the band would be good.

Sorry for your struggles - wish that I could help... I can understand your frustrations...