Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When will my hair stop falling out!!!!

I'm sorry that I do not post much. With working full time, and the twins & Joey, I rarely have time for the computer, but I do stop by an read your posts often during lunch breaks. I am now 7 months out and I am down a little over 40 pounds and holding. I have had 2 fills, but I had been barfing a lot, so no more fills for me until I learn to eat properly. I tend to eat too fast and not chew properly. If you have dinner with my family you would know why. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on my shedding problem. My hair is getting so thin, I may have to purchase a wig soon, and it is totally not funny. I used to only get a hair tie around 2 times, now it goes around at least 4 maybe 5. I'm starting to get nervous. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Patti

I have been losing hair, too, since about three months post-op. I lose just a few hairs, like 18 or 20 each morning when I comb it out. It doesn't seem like that much, but I'm afraid it's going to start adding up. I'm sure I get enough Protein, so WTF? If I eat any more fish, I'm going to grow gills! Fortunately, I have thick hair so I can afford to shed a little, but if this keeps up forever, it's bound to add up to significant loss. I worry about it.

Mine was coming out in bunches at the beginning of the May and I started using Nioxin and now 3-4 months later, it is coming back in. There are all kinds of little spikey hairs about an inch long or so coming in everywhere. It doesn't look pretty but I am super glad it is at least coming back. My hairdresser told me to stay true to the Nioxin for a few more months. It is expensive but totally worth it.

My hairdresser and my nurse both told me it is a combined reason. The anesthesia is the culprit, but weightloss can also have that affect. I'm getting a double whammy since I had surgery on my thumb 3 months after lapband surgery. I'm also loosing 20-30 hairs every morning. I have thick hair, so it looks okay and I can see spikey little hairs growing back in. I don't use Nioxin, but it you have thinner hair, I'd recommend it. My sister lost a bunch of weight several years ago (not from lapband surgery) and the same thing happened to her and Nioxin did the trick. My nurse said Protein is the key, but it also just takes time.

My hair was thin before the surgery, so I can't tell if I've lost any or not. I know I've had to get my hair cut several times since the surgery, but I haven't noticed any major bald spots. It still looks thin as usual. lol. But, I do take Flinstones Vitamins every day. Don't know if that helps or not, but they sure taste yummy. I'm sure the Hair loss will come at some point for me, and I'll probably just wear a crapload of hats.

I buy mine at the salon, they cost about $20 a bottle but it is really worth it. You can check it out at NIOXIN

I am not sure if it will help using it prior to surgery or not, but if I knew then what I know now, I would have started using it about 2 months postop just to keep it from getting to the point that it got to. I also have a great hairdresser who encouraged me to get my longer hair cut and cut it to where it wasn't so noticeable.

I noticed it when I got through my first bottle of Shampoo, probably about 5 weeks or so because I was kind of thinking about whether it was working or not and whether I should buy more of it and I started noticing that there wasn't massive amounts of hair on my pillow every morning and it wasn't coming out if I ran my hands through it anymore.

For what its worth, I did try to increase my Protein, even tried the Protein test tubes for awhile, but I just couldn't make myself eat any more than I was eating at the time. So I don't think that protein did much for me as far as stopping the Hair loss.< /p>

You also may want to consider Biotin, it is a Vitamin, can get it at Target, Walgreens, etc. I saw a noticable improvement with my hair after a few weeks, and as a bonus, my fingernails look terrific and are much, much stronger than pre-surgery.

Ok, one more thing, I found a giant 33 oz bottle of Nioxin at costco for like $21 for anyone thinking about buying it.