Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things To Have On Hand Post-Op??

Hi,

I am being banded 9/23. I need to go out this weekend and make sure I have everything at home that I might need the first couple of days I get home from the hospital. My sister will be there for me to run errands if needed but I want to be as prepared as I can be. Any suggestions? Thanks. Counting down the days. I can not wait!

I'm being banded 11/5 and I have the same questions.

Come on, all you professional bandsters out there - what did you need during that first week post-op? What do you wish you'd had?

I've already heard that a super-comfortable sports bra is a must. But I think I'll just let these puppies go free and unrestrained for a few days! :tongue2::thumbup::)

I really did not need much as all I wanted to do was lay down and sleep. I would say make sure you have enough Water, broth, Protein Shakes, Jello. That is all I was allowed to eat the first week. Make sure you take your pain medication even if you are not in pain. I took the Vicodin for 4 days every 4-5 hours. I believe this helped me not feel so sick and got me through the rough days. I even had to call the Dr. for a refill, they approved it and so did the insurace. On the 5th day I felt better and only took it twice a day. Have not needed any kind of pain medication since then.

Remember take it easy....this is your time to relax and let your body heal. Even if you feel good...take it easy!!

liquid tylenol! You want to get up and walk walk walk as much as possible. It is amazing how much better it can make you feel. I took 1 dose of my pain med but didn't want to feel groggy and fuzzy and the liquid tylenol did the trick for me. And make sure you have enough pillows so that you can use one to brace your tummy...helps if you need to cough ( helps keep those lungs clear!) and also helps if you sleep on your side.

Also even if you never have chapped lips, you might post op because they give you an anticholinergic to dry up secretions etc so make sure you have a lip balm.

Have something fun for you two to do...like some good movies to watch together etc! And did I say walk walk walk? LOL

Good luck.

I agree with all the above. But I also loved warm chicken broth, yogurt tasted good after a few days. I think it is important to take the medicine around the clock also, and make sure you have a heating pad for the gas pains. I had Isopure frim GNC to make sure I was getting enough Protein. I am one week out now and still use these things. Also, I tried to sip Water all the time to keep hydrated!

And orange Crystal Light.

Good Luck

susan

Another caveat...a common side effect of vicodin is Constipation. I never had that problem and recovered VERY fast. I know a reason is because I didn't take the narcotic pain killer, but just used the liquid tylenol. If you really are in PAIN, use the high test stuff. But if you can position yourself or distract yourself so that it isn't too bad, choose that option first. You'll bounce back quicker and feel better faster.

Something I could not have survived without post-op was my heating pad. I placed it on my tummy and port area, and it was so soothing and just made me feel better. I also made sure I had lots of loose, comfy sweat pants, nothing tight around my incisions that would be uncomfortable.

Something I did pre-op was made up several dinners and froze them for my family. They were things that all they had to do was pop them in the microwave or oven to heat up and they were ready to serve. That way I didn't have to be preparing food I couldn't eat, and at the same time felt good knowing that my family was getting good, healthy meals while I was recovering.

My advice - skip the Gas-X. It's a (too) common misnomer. Do have: your pain med RX in-hand ahead of time, if possible, so you don't have to wait for it. Liquid Tylenol (called "Rapid Blast") was a blessing for me once I didn't need the full strength of the RX stuff, as was having a recliner to sleep on. A pillow or something else for compression if your drive home will be significant. Bottled Water unless you drink tap or use a filter. A tray to put things on, e.g. laptop, remote, phone. I bought a few house dresses to wear (the kind that slip over your head) and they were fantastic, but in hindsight I would have gotten something that snapped shut so that I didn't have to raise my arms or bend to get it off. Benadryl, Calamine, or similar lotion. SAVED MY LIFE once the itchies started. Ugh, they were the worst part of the whole process (same is true when I had my GB removed about a year ago... the itches during incision heal periods were the worst). Find a Protein you like before your surgery, so you aren't having to scramble to find something after. Sooo many people don't do this, and regret it later. Liquid Benadryl if you're an allergy or sinus headache sufferer. A 1/3 dose as a sidekick to liquid Tylenol makes a very agreeable substitution for Tylenol Sinus. Something to do, when you're awake. A good book you've been wanting to read, some Sudoku, whatever.

I dont even have a date yet but I remember reading once that *whispers* wiping yourself is very difficult after surgery. I think that person recommended tongs to hold the TP to wipe. I was wondering if anyone else faced that challenge and what they did?

I was just banded last week and there were a couple things that got me thru the first few days. The doctor recommended that I stay away from the Protein Shakes, so I drank Kellogg K2o drinks and anything sugar free, popcicles, Jello and diet Snapple. The liquid Tylenol saved the day because it was tough moving around without it. I just got back from the Dr. and I've lost 10 pounds already. So that's what worked for me. Good Luck!! You can so do this.:)

Great tips!!! I need to write them down so I don't forget!

I've read on this site that several bandsters have adopted a Band Notebook of sorts, to write down anything and everything that comes to mind about the Band. Foods to avoid, portion size, Do's and Don'ts, etc. I think I'm going to start that this weekend!

Something I could not have survived without post-op was my heating pad. I placed it on my tummy and port area, and it was so soothing and just made me feel better.

my heating pad was my best friend for easily 2 wks post op - couldn't sleep w/out it.

some other items:

*body pillow

*ice pops (SF) - i had a sore throat afterwards from the intubation tube

*your pain/nausea meds already filled

*silly - but i got a pedicure, so at least my feet looked pretty for a few days, while i felt like crap

*lots of movies lined up

*phone number for the chinese restaurant handy - i had a lot of egg drop soup:tongue:

my heating pad was my best friend for easily 2 wks post op - couldn't sleep w/out it.

some other items:

*body pillow

*ice pops (SF) - i had a sore throat afterwards from the intubation tube

*your pain/nausea meds already filled

*silly - but i got a pedicure, so at least my feet looked pretty for a few days, while i felt like crap

*lots of movies lined up

*phone number for the chinese restaurant handy - i had a lot of egg drop soup:tongue:

oooh, egg drop soup! what a great idea!!! :crying: