Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things To Have On Hand Post-Op??

Be careful using a heating pad; clear it with your surgeon. Depending on what he uses to close your surgical sites, a heating pad may be contraindicated. The surgeon will be able to advise you! (some stitches dissolve because of heat, and if you "cook" them you may speed that process up. You don't want your sutures, if they are that type, to dissolve too quickly!)

I never would have thought of egg drop soup! That's like my cure-all when I get sick anyway! cool

Did any of you have acrylic nails prior to getting banded? Did you have to take them off before surgery?

Bridgette...they would of course prefer you don't have them because checking capillary refill is one way to assess circulation, oxygenation etc. They made me even remove my toe polish! But not all hospitals and surgeons require this; you might call the office and ask. I'm sure the nurses would prefer you not have them, but it's a pain to remove them if you don't have to!

I have acrylic nails. I'm sure most surgeons will tell you to remove all nail polishes. I had knee surgery, so it was not a problem leaving them on w/o polish.

I have a 3 weeks old one ear peircing for third time. Wonder if I have to using fishing line or plastic ear rings? I hope my surgeon will accept plastic rings in ears. LOL What if any of you bandsters have body peircings? Can you replace with plastic rings from nipples, belly button, face and more?

Sometimes we put surgical tape over things like the earrings. Also, if you have good perfusion, you should be able to get an O2 saturation from the toes (you can even get it from the earlobe, forehead, etc). Just depends on how fickle your nurse is. I am pretty fickle, but I will make exceptions.:thumbup:

you will find that the chicken broth they bring you on the 2nd day is a God Sent! I keep it even now for the days I feel more restriction (happens sometimes 2-3 weeks after a fill) and I go back to liquids... the chicken broth is the only thing that seems to satisify me... Good luck! and CONGRATS!

JWRN, I am hoping they will do that for me. I have pierced nipples for about 2.5 yrs now. SInce I won't be laying on my belly, I don't see why not put in plastic rings or tape with surgical tape. I will ask about that at Pre Op class this Monday. It's not really that close to belly,huh?! I wasn't going to say anything about it, then again I like to be 100% open.

SweetGothic

I just wanna say that this thread was so helpful! I'm 5 days post op and doing pretty well. My suggestion in addition to what's been mentioned, is a timer. For the first day or so I had a timer set to remind me to sip my fluids, no lie! Now I set it to remind me to walk laps around the house every hour and to do my deep breathing/coughing.

Speaking of which... it just went off.. time for deep breaths and laps! :D

A timer is a good idea! I'm lucky; I never needed to sip my liquids...from the hospital I could drink normally (they say that's more common now with the different sized AP bands)...who knows? but if you do have to sip a timer is brilliant!

Glad you're doing so well! :D