Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone. I"m pretty new here and was banded on 9/11. I've been reading alot of posts and according to most people, I should be feeling pretty good by now, but I don't. My back hurts, my incisions hurt and itch, I am still having gas pains. I'm just all around feeling blah. I'm trying to stay off of my pain meds during the day (hydrocodone) because today my DH has duty so I'm home alone till the kids get home from school and tomorrow I have to go back to school myself. I'm a full time student. I just want to lie in bed and sleep for about a month. Anyone else feel this way a week postop? Maybe I am just a wuss.

Sorry you feel bad but the only way to get to feeling better and to stop the pain is to walk, drink, walk and drink. I know you dont feel like it but it will really make you feel better. Good luck!

I felt the same way for about a week post-op. I was banded on September 4th....I felt great on day 1 & 2, and then it slowly went downhill from there. Days 3, 4, & 5 I felt horrible. My relief was walking on the treadmill, drinking alot of Water, and sleeping. I know it's difficult, but it does get easier. And I feel better today 2 weeks post-op than I did 2 weeks pre-op. Feel free to send me a private message and we can do this together :)

I felt the way you are feeling for a good week or more. The gas pain was in my shoulder and back area and walking did help it a lot. The tired feeling I believe was from a lack of eating correctly and getting in my Proteins. I was banded on 7/29 and remember going for a post op check on August 8th, by the time I walked the walk from the ramp garage to my dr.s appt and back again, then grocery shopping to get the foods I needed I came home totally exhausted. The surgery and lack of food took its toll on me. He wanted all his patients on 2 weeks out of work. I can see why. Your body needs time to recover. So don't stress, one of these days you will feel like yourself again, just give it time.

Have you had a bowel movement i had my band done about a year ago and now i have bowel movement problems i barely go and that cause back in the stomach so i feel sick alot of times and i'm seriously thinking of having my band removed.please respond back to let me know how have you been doing or do you have the same problem i have .

Happy 24 my doctor put me on 2 stool softeners every night. Did you speak to your doctor about it? That's where I would start it could have nothing to do with the band.

christypooh402 I felt like death after the first week and it turned out I was severely dehydrated. I had no idea that dehydration could do that to a person. I also had the gas pain for weeks after. I actually had it yesterday in my shoulder and I am 5 months post-op.

Getting up and getting moving will make all the difference in the world.

The pain meds could also be putting you in a bit of a funk. The sooner you discontinue them, the better for your health and sense of well-being.

It is not common to still feel under the weather one week out, but if it persists another week or two you should talk to your doctor. Just get up and walk for 10-15 minutes and then take it easy and baby yourself for an hour or two. If you do this repeatedly it can help you to start feeling better quicker.

I had my surgery May 7 and it took me a good 2 weeks to fell alittle bette.r My back hurt for about 3-4 weeks and I went to get a message which helped alittle after about week 3. Hope that helps.

To those with Constipation problems, I had them before surgery, so I was taking softeners twice a day anyway. I continued that after surgery, and when that doesn't feel like enough, I take a senna laxative, like Senokote, as it is gentle, but does the trick.

Gas X may help the gass pains. As for the itching, that is from the steri-strips. That bothered me more than anything. I got some anti-itch cream and rubbed it on (not directly on the incision, but all around it and as close as I dared). I actually get itchy welts from the bandages. They said to let them fall off, and when they had mostly done that I helped them the rest of the way.

I started walking immediately after surgery. Stayed over my sisters for one day and walked around her yard. When I went home to my condo, I walked around the parking lot. They don't want you to drive while taking the pain med, but by 5 days out I didn't really need it so much, so I took an experimental drive, figuring if anything hurt I would turn around. Nothing did, so I drove to my favorite walking spot, a park with a 2 mile nature trail and walked there, stopping if I felt like it as there are benches all through the park just for that. Every now and then I get a pain that feels like gas, but on the whole I am doing really well.

And, as stated already, if this doesn't resolve, call your doctor. No reason to feel miserable.

Edited by PATCHELTON