Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had surgery 9/9. I took my baby home yesterday. She weighs 25lbs. Am I in for some trouble?

I feel really good and didnt see the reason she should stay at the babysitter. Anyone else did this?

Me too -- I will have help for a few days but I have a 32# toddler who is a WILD MAN!!! I know to take it easy but I may need to lift him on occasion or at least help him around! TIA!

i too have a22lb baby and i am concerned about carrying her also i am getting banded on 7.10 but i have arranged for my daughter to have time off work and stay with me,because my baby has to be carried around at all times she has downes and although she is 14mnth old she cannot be left as she can choke when she breaths so i can understand while your worrying-can you not get someone to stay awile?

I had the same question, And my Doctor said 1. No lifting for the first 2weeks after surgery and then wait until my appt with my doctor to check on how I am healing and he will make that decision for me. I have 2 grand-kids and I have my surgery 9-22-08 so, it will be stuff to wait that long to pick them up. A nurse suggested to have someone put them on your lap but, no lifting. I also have a book called "weight loss surgery with the adjustable gastric band(a great book)said on page 124 you should limit any lifting to a maximum of 10 pounds for the first 10 days. After that the limit can be raised to 20 pounds for the next 20days. After about a month you should be able to lift any amount you were able to lift prior to the surgery. I can't wait.....:embaressed_smile:

It's VERY important to follow your doc's advise. Lifting too much can cause slippage, erosion, or tears to the internal sutures where the port and/or band are lightly sewn in. If you just tear a few sutures you may feel "fine" right now but then have slippage and/or erosion down the road. Don't start out trying to "cheat the band" by lifting too much. Stick to your doc's rules. Mine was nothing over 15 for 2 weeks. Follow what YOUR doc told you...and I'm sure lifting a 25 pound toddler or a 22 pound toddler is OFF LIMITS! Sorry!

I'm 3 weeks out. My surgeon said nothing more than 10lbs for 6 weeks! I also have toddler who is pushing 30lbs. Until yesterday we'd had help. But now we're on our own. DH is a fireman and works a 72hr shift so it's just the 2 of us Monday AM til Thursday AM. We're managing. I'm glad I had my mom here when DH was gone the last couple of shifts.

I did have to help DD out of something yesterday when she got stuck! It was okay but I did feel it. Just hoping I didn't do any damage. Nothing hurt, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything! I had planned for everything else, (diapers, carseat, getting in and out of the car, grocery shopping, laundry, etc) but hadn't thought about what might happen if she falls or gets stuck!

You need to check with your surgeon to see what his requirements are.

i too have a22lb baby and i am concerned about carrying her also i am getting banded on 7.10 but i have arranged for my daughter to have time off work and stay with me,because my baby has to be carried around at all times she has downes and although she is 14mnth old she cannot be left as she can choke when she breaths so i can understand while your worrying-can you not get someone to stay awile?

My son with cerebral palsy is 24 pounds. They said I could do it, but to be extremely careful. He doesn't walk yet either, and is getting hungry, so I have to feed him. My son is totally a mommas boy. He will eat for no one else if I'm around

teri

I have a 20lb limit for a month. I don't have any young children depending on me. That has to be hard on you and the child. I really feel for all of you who are trying to balance your needs and the needs of your young children.

Wow, that is going to be hard. My surgery isn't for another 6 weeks or so, so I'll need to start training my 2 1/2 year old now to get into her car seat, etc without any help!

I had surgery 9/9. I took my baby home yesterday. She weighs 25lbs. Am I in for some trouble?

I feel really good and didnt see the reason she should stay at the babysitter. Anyone else did this?

DON'T DO IT! About 10 days out, I lifted a 35 lb cat litter off the Target shelf, didn't feel anything immediately, but the following day or so, I felt like I had had surgery all over again! It took me a WEEK extra to recover from that. The doc said I had probably pulled those muscles where the port is sewn into. We really don't realize how much we use our abdominal muscles. We take them for granted, big time! Be careful!

I have a baby who weighs 10kilos (22lbs). I lifted him the day after my surgery. I had no choice, my husband was rubbish and bubs was crying and only I could passify him so I lifted him out of the pram and walked around with him patting him to calm him down. Then day 2 after surgery hubby went back to work and I was looking after bubs and my toddler on my own, so I lifted him changed him, put him in and out of his cot, lifted him on and off the floor etc. Sometimes you have no choice as a mum you just have responsibilities. Your lucky though if you can afford to employ someone to look after your children for you, then take the break. If like me, you can't afford to employ someone to look after them for you then lift responsibily, bend your knees insted of bending over etc.

Sorry, i know I dont follow what all of you have said but I was in that situation, I had no one to help me, no spare cash to employ babysitters, child carers etc and children must be cared for. Sometimes there is no choice.

Edited by mumof2

I have a 35lbs toddler. I didn't lift him the first week after surgery. After that I did, with no ill effects, except for the time he playfully kicked me in my port area.

I have a baby who weighs 10kilos (22lbs). I lifted him the day after my surgery. I had no choice, my husband was rubbish and bubs was crying and only I could passify him so I lifted him out of the pram and walked around with him patting him to calm him down. Then day 2 after surgery hubby went back to work and I was looking after bubs and my toddler on my own, so I lifted him changed him, put him in and out of his cot, lifted him on and off the floor etc. Sometimes you have no choice as a mum you just have responsibilities. Your lucky though if you can afford to employ someone to look after your children for you, then take the break. If like me, you can't afford to employ someone to look after them for you then lift responsibily, bend your knees insted of bending over etc.

Sorry, i know I dont follow what all of you have said but I was in that situation, I had no one to help me, no spare cash to employ babysitters, child carers etc and children must be cared for. Sometimes there is no choice.

Sometimes you just have to do what you need to do. I agree with you. I know what it's like to not have help. Although for surgery I was blessed that my mom took off from work and came down to help when DH needed to be at work. I can't afford anyone either and we don't have family close by to help. I get stuck with appts and no sitter all the time. DD either goes with me (like Tues.) or I try to schedule when DH is home. Not always easy or possible! DD and I are on our own at this point but I'm 3 1/2 weeks out from surgery. She's handling it well and likes to help mama! Thank goodness!! LOL!!