Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doing a lap band diet without surgery for now!

I have thought about doing this myself. My surgery isn't till Nov. and I've been trying to eat better but it's hard when I know I don't necessarily have to at this point. I only have to do 1 week of pre-op diet but I might just do 2 to be on the safe side and to lose as much as I can.

Right there with you ladies.. I do not want to go through the starvation process over night. I started cutting way back in June to 1500 cal a day. I was excercising 4 times a week and it wasn't doing anything. I tried to cut more cals, but that wasn't working either so I started doing at least 30 minutes a day. On weekends I get in a few hours of heavy cleaning, exercise with the kids doing something fun, and have also been remodeling my dads house with my husband,,, lots of calories burned sanding, sawing etc...

I have at least 2 days a week where my calories go over 1500, but the other 5 I am at 1100 to 1300.. high Protein low carb.. since the big change I have lost 12 lbs, and have kept it off for a week so far.. I have found that my body doesn't process any weight loss for 3 to 4 days at a time, then I will see the scale move. I am going to put it on the calender and see if there is pattern.

One of my biggest issue is getting in enough Fiber with the protein.. I had 4 days of a diverticulitis infection because of not enough Fiber. I should be hearing about when my appt. for the nutrionist will be by the end of the week so will ask for advice.. I did find that all bran puts out an icetea and lemonade flavored 10g fiber powder to put in Water,, It tastes great and can be found with the fiber supplements..giving it to my 86 yr old dad to... hehehe

Why not use benefiber since it has no taste and fully disolves?

I put it in my crystal lite al lthe time. I also put it in food when I cook for my family.

Kathleen,

Your diet sounds good to me. I wonder if your headache is from stopping caffeine. Did you stop sodas or coffe? Those headaches are horrid, but go away in a few days. I always just had a small amount of soda or tea every time the headache came and in a week they were gone.:tongue2:

Another tjhing is you might not be getting enough Protein. I am trying for over 100 gms of Protein a day so I can build muscle. That keeps me from being fatigued. I add extra scoops of protein to my shakes right now.

I also am adding ground flaxseed and a scoop of Fiber to each shake. Of course, I started with small anounts and built up to that. I also have two shakes a day, but I still add fruit to them. I know fruit will be a no-no once I get banded, but we have the fruit coming off our trees now, and I can't affford the flavorings yet. By the time my surgery comes around I will have the flavorings on hand.:)

I use profibe, which I get at Amazon or puritans pride. It is a soluable fiber and does good things for cholesterol and the arteries. I can get it elswhere, but at 13.66 a jar, I'm content.

mindwing:shades_smile:

I think I'm being successful in a slightly similar way. I do have the lap band, and have had one fill...2 cc's. I have not been able to get another fill because the restriction is so great. So, I've stepped up the exercise, document everything I eat and I am just so careful in my choices.

Wondering how everyone is doing so far. I am doing fairly well, but I'm not trying the caloric restriction some are trying. I have several months to wait before banding--like maybe 6 or more.

I did blow it totally yesterday because my husband and I went out to eat. It was the first time we have gone out in about 8 months-- maybe more. It felt great. Today we are again pigging out on a pizza. But tommorrow I put on the brakes again, and will go on a liquid diet for one week. Then I will return to eating like a bandster again.

I still have not seen the surgeon, but in two weeks I will meet with my pcp and he will write the letter of reccommendation. I feel like the ladies in the comercial that stand outside the stor going "Open, open." I want it to happen yesterday. But I need to be patient.

mindwing

I am the same way I dieted and lost 40lbs but i have regained 20lbs. That's why i want the band b/c it's a tool to keep me from eating too many calories.

Hi all,

I wonder how everyone is doing. Is this way of eating working for you? Is it hard? easy? What foods do you miss the most? Do you cheat a bit, or have you given up until you get the band?

looking forward to hearing from some of you, or others who are trying to eat this way.

Mindwing:shades_smile:

mindwing,, I started out trying to mimic the band diet, lost a couple of pounds then nothing. After seeing the nutritionist she had me raise my calories to 1500 or as close without going over and I lost 12,, I'm flluctuating right now, but have lost inches off my waist. Like everything else I have tried I could not maintain this without some outside help like the band, its just to hard and you constantly have to think about it. I have to lose 15 lbs or more before my surgery so I will do my best to keep up with it. Lots of fluids and sugar free Protein shakes, or cottage cheese as a snack helps me from being hungry, actually anything high in Protein helps.

As far as food goes, I have had one cheeseburger in 3-4 months and haven't missed it. I am making turkey meatloaf and no one knew the difference. I love to cook so have made it a challenge to find the recipes with the highest protein and lowest fat.. Other then that I'm just eating less of what I normally eat..One thing I have found out is too much salad does not digest and I bloat up and feel awful. For some reason my digestive tract does not like it.

Hope everyone is well,, my next appt will be with the surgeon I hope!!

Wickedme.

You are doing great. I never tried to keep my calories real low, just training my body to eat the right foods. My congrats.

This last week I went on a practice liquid diet. I didn't quite make it. each day I had a little cheat- one stick of string cheese, some shrimp. I kept my calories under 1200. I am so glad it ends this afternoon and I can eat again. I will try it again in a few weeks.

You mention you are drinking Protein shakes. I use the EAS whey. what Protein do you use? I am planning on continuing them after my surgery. I don't get hungry for 4 or 5 hours after drinking one. I flavor mine with DaVinci sugar free syrups, so have a tremendous variety. Today I had chocolate whey with butterscotch flavoring- Yum!:smile2:

I know what you mean about salad. Lots of protein is easy to eat, but lots of salad is rough on the stomach. Fortunately, once we get the band we won't have to eat a lot of salad to feel full.

I am so glad you are losing weight. Hang in there. The band will make things easier and is worth all the sacrifices we have to make. Next visit is with the surgeon? Congrats. I am meeting my PCP to write up my refferal to the surgeon, so I am just beginning the journey.

mindwing:shades_smile: