Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whats The Pain Scale 1-10

Guest Should Ann Band

Guest Should Ann Band

Hi because of you (mellisa)i am really thinking of doing it...i live in forest park ,IL and i called your dr.fred..very nervous and looking for a lil support so here i go HELP!!!!!!!!...LOL i've been trying to find out how painful it really is which is my only fear...for the ladies i had a hys about 3 years ago if its even close to that im gonna back out......so plz tell me Should Ann Band PLEASE IF ANYONE MAN OR WOMAN CAN EXPLAIN A LIL ABOUT THE PAIN..

Mine wasn't as easy as Vinesqueen's. I was very uncomfortable for the first five days or so, and that first day after surgery was nasty. I found it hard to move around, and my belly was sore all over -- but compared to gyne surgery it's a picnic. Minimal scarring, no giant staples in your belly, much less pain (in my experience).

On day one I was pretty drugged up, but when I tried to get up or down my pain was probably about a 7. On day two, I didn't use as much drugs and pain was about an 7 or 6 when I was trying to get up. After that it stayed around a 5 for a couple of days, but I didn't use any drugs.

It was painful, any surgery is. But it was completely worth it.

Guest Should Ann Band

Mine wasn't as easy as Vinesqueen's. I was very uncomfortable for the first five days or so, and that first day after surgery was nasty. I found it hard to move around, and my belly was sore all over -- but compared to gyne surgery it's a picnic. Minimal scarring, no giant staples in your belly, much less pain (in my experience).

HOW DO THEY CLOSE ALL THOSE HOLES....LOL

I had some little tapey things that held them together although, there were some stitches as well. Because a few weeks later my nurse took them out.

Pain. I never had surgery (besides oral) before so, I couldn't compare it to anything. The first couple days I thought I was going to die!! I would have killed for a menstrual cramp lol. I stayed medicated. The main problem for me more than the pain was not being able to get up and down on my own. I don't like to be out of control. When you are close to 300 pounds you don't have much upper body strength so when someone tells you to put your weight on your arms or legs instead it is really hard. Expect to sleep in a recliner the first night. If you get any sleep at all

Of course, everyone is different.

I was up and moving around two hours after surgery...on pain meds, of course. But the next day I went home and didn't need any pain meds after the first night. I was more uncomfortable than in pain..just couldn't sit right, or lay down right for a week or so..but no big deal.

Megan

Well, have you had a child? :cross-eye

I was banded before I had a baby and I had never had surgery before. I thought it was very uncomfortable. But looking back, I barely remember it. Plus, there are good drugs available. It's really not that bad. It's more annoying and uncomfortable. But healing comes fairly fast.

If you've had a baby, it will be a snap!!!

If you're virtually decided, I wouldn't let worry about pain stop you. It's mostly fear of the unknown.

FN

From a scale of 1 -10 it is between 1-2.5 but everyones tolerance for pain is different.

I had sugergy in the morning and was able to come home the same day. there is not alot of pain associated with this sugery it is more like aches almost like you over exherted your muscles.

I would not hesitate to have it done again if ever need be.... good luck...

-105> with 20> more to go

I had surgery in the morning and was home in late afternoon that day (Thursday). I would say my pain factor was less than 1.

I had more pain/irritation when the healing started. I went back to work on Tuesday and working 9 hour days was tiring.

My biggest pain now is my port. It seems to be trying to find its home....but still that hurts alot less than my broken toe!!!

In my opinion...the pain was VERY minimal compared to the c-section i had. It really isnt bad at all. I think the pain i get in my back and knees from being ovrweight was more annoying and painful than the overall surgery!!! Good Luck!

Ok- I did the natural childbirth thing for Adrian- so that would be my 10! My band was maybe a 3! I think I was more fatiqued than in actual pain! I have had periods and kicked shins that hurt worse! but I have a high tolerance

I am a bit of a wimp when it comes to pain. I know this. I just don't like things that hurt, LOL. I am 11 days out and finally feeling pretty good now. At the worst (the first couple of days) I would put the pain at about a 7. then it was hanging around a 4 or 5. Not terribly painful just enough to be very uncomfortble. Now between 0 and 2. I took some tylonol last night because I couldn't get comfortable in bed and was fine.

The closest I can describe the feeling is of post-childbirth. The pain isn't like actual child-birth (which is horrible!!, LOL) It is much more like the hours following childbirth, that feeling of all the muscles between your neck and hips hurting as if you had just pushed a ten pound bowling ball out!!! LOL I had aches in my stomach and back, sharp gas pains in my shoulder and neck and pulling sort of pains near the incisions but nothing I couldn't handle (with the help of pain meds of course!!!) I have posted several times about how I was still hurting long after I thought I should feel better but I haven't regretted this at all. That is saying a lot considering I am a self confessed whimp!!!!!

This is surgury and isn't going to feel good but it's not that bad either. It is worth it for a week of discomfort. You can do it!!!!!