Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September 16th surgeries

Hey guys, just updating on what I found out from the hospital business office. When I first went to the weight loss center I asked the secretary if they needed my insurance card (from my employer/promary insurance) and she said no since they know it doesn't cover the surgery. The business office is now saying that since we didn't get pre-certed from through my insurance since it is my primary (even though we know that it doesn't cover it) that my husbands insurance may refuse to pay for it even though I was approved and pre-certed through hubby's insurance. She told me for right now not to worry about it (yea right) and that they would keep me updated. To me though that is their fault for not taking all my information in the first place especially since I asked if they needed it. So I may end up having to pay $21,000, don't know how...it just makes me mad cause the whole thing could have been avoided in the first place. Oh well, hopefully it will all work out...thanks for the suggestion Teri I think I just needed some other people to sound off to.

Hey September 16 Banders! I just got back from Cancun. My hubby and I celebrated our 25th Anniversary. We had a wonderful time. We did a lot of walking and snorkeling. I ate what I wanted, only small quantities. I tried to eat three meals a day. I got on the scale this morning and I lost 3 pounds while on vacation. I worked out at the health club in the hotel. I was so excited to come back and see I actually lost weight. This new way of eating is really great. I know I am supposed to follow a high Protein, low fat diet, but I think I was not getting enough calories in. I am drinking lots of Water and sticking to 3 meals a day and the weight is coming off. I was stuck in a plateau for about 4 weeks, so it is a relief to be losing weight again. Even knowing I was losing inches was not much comfort with no pounds dropping off. For a short time, I was a little angry that I had gone through surgery and still could not lose weight. I think my expectation was that I would drop a lot of weight initially and then keep losing every week two pounds or more. That did not happen and even though my doctor told me I was on track, I though I should be losing more. I have my next fill on December 8. I'm not sure if I need one, but I will let my doctor decide. I just want to keep losing. I am in a wedding in August, 2009, so I hope to be at my goal weight by then.

K- I'm glad you had a great trip. Happy belated anniversary. I think that's awesome. You lost weight on vacation. How many people can say that?

Teri

Hello Fellow September 16th Banders!

What is new? I have had two fills so far. I have lost 27 pounds. I am losing slowly, but I am losing inches. I really thought I would have more weight off by now. My problem is that I can eat anything, The only thing I have not tried is steak. I am really afraid to eat it. I was also told that I should not eat bread because it can get "stuck", but I eat bread with no problem. I have lost 4 inches in my waist and 3 inches in my hips. My clothes are too big for me now. I am working out 3 hours a week minimum and I know that is helping. Right now, I just want to be below 200 pounds.

How is everyone else doing?

238/233/211/155

top weight/day of surgery/current/goal

Wow some activity here!

I'm doing ok. I've had 5 fills now. The first two were 1 cc, the others were around .5 ccs. I started out with 1.2 cc one dr said, the other said .2. So I'm not sure how much is in there, and they don't measure it often. Only if they sense aproblem.

I'm struggling weight wise, btu have also dropped some inches. I don't see it, but people around me are always saying how great I look. *Shrug*

I'm really concentrating on my diet right now, or meals. Not really diet, but what I'm eating, and journalling again. I found myself doing better eating that way the last few days.

How is everyone else?

teri

Is anyone else struggling to lose weight? I bounce up and down. The largest weight loss I have had is being down 32 pounds. That lasted one day, then my weight went back up. I am now really keeping what I eat in check. I am now at 30 pounds. I go to the doctor on Monday. The last time I went, she said I was on track even though I had lost a little over one pound a week. I just want the weight loss to keep going. Unfortunately for me, I can eat bread. I don't eat it often, but I can do it. From now until Easter, I am staying away from the "white stuff". I have been eating Edamame and a few nuts for Breakfast with a small piece of fruit, Edamame for lunch with a small salad and half an orange and for dinner a small piece of grilled salmon and salad and some sweet potato fries. I hope that I will see a substantial loss by Easter. My goal is to get below 200. I haven't been there since 2003. I really need to see the scale move. I am getting really discouraged.

I had that sliming or whatever they call it. I was eating some rotisserie chicken. I kind of knew that I was eating too much and too fast but it was really good. It was also breast meat so it wasn't very moist. I had felt the pain in my chest before when I ate too much and once I burped a few times the feeling went away. This time I was unable to get a good burp up and then I felt like I was going to throw up. Then this slimey, foamy stuff came up. It seemed like a lot. No food ever came up. Once I was done with that, I felt okay. I do not want to experience that feeling again. anyone else ever have that experience?

Please check in and let us know how you are doing.

Oh gosh I'm becoming quickly the queen of sliming. YUCK! I too am stuck. I'm stuck at 50 pounds lost. I know that's a lot, but I lost nearly 30 pre op. I can get down to 221, but then after about 3 days i'm back up in the upper 220's. UGH! But for 3 days I'm nearly at my st patricks day goal. :wink: I want to be in the 2teens.... Then the "one"derland.

Anyway.... I'm still here. Still struggling. I did have an event, my surgeon's are calling an over fill. Three weeks after my last fill, a tummy bug went around my house,a nd I was so sick. Nothing went down, except Water. They took all my Fluid out and I was fine. But I've had a pressure between my shoulder blades since then. I see my surgeon in two weeks again.

Teri

I had my third fill yesterday. I finally found out I have a 10cc band. I am filled to 4.5cc's. I lost a total of 1 pound in 6 weeks. I always weigh more at the office because I weigh first thing in the morning at home and my appointment is always at 3:10, plus the clothes. I confessed to the dietician and my doctor that I had been everything under the sun that is fried. Although my portions are the right size, I was eating so much fried food, plus a 20 ounce mocha Cappuccino every day. I have now redeemed myself and tomorrow, once I am on solids again, I am behaving myself. I am tired of weighing over 200. I am looking forward to the day I get on the scale and it says 190 anything. It can say 199, I don't care, just no more 2 at the front. I understand the discouragement. I am there. I have a formal event on April 25. I go back to the doctor on April 13. I am hopeful that I will have enough pounds off to fit in a 16. I went to David's Bridal to try on dresses a couple of weeks ago and size 18 fit me comfortably, even a little loose. I have in mind what I want to wear, but I need to have at least another 10 pounds off. I am exercising like crazy to get those inches off. Stay encouraged. We will complete this journey.

K-Indy

top/surgery day/current/goal

238/233/210/155

Edited by K-Indy
weight numbers wrong

Hang in there. I also have a weird loss pattern. Nothing for weeks, then drop 5 pounds, then up three. And then it repeats. But it is going down. I am in no way adveraging 1 pound a week lately. I am lucky for 1 pound a month, but it is still one pound. And I need to get back to walking. I hate cold weather. And since I have lost weight I am FREEZING all the time. And I am tired, but I have had "crap" in my life. So, between getting stuck yesterday and my feet freezing I am having a miserable day.

Hey everyone,

Yeah I too haven't lost any weight lately either. Well I have lost 2 pounds since the middle of December. I started using www.sparkpeople.com to count my calories and found I was eating too many calories. So now I'm trying to eat 1200-1600 calories per day and that is when the 2 pounds came off. I think I really have to keep it about 1200 calories. I do not go in to the doctor til April.

Part of my problem with not losing the last 2 months has been I thought I was too tight because things were getting stuck constantly. Since I was not eating anything I would turn to easy things like ice cream, etc to feel like I was eating something. Yeah bad, I know. But it's not that I'm too tight that things are getting stuck. It's because I was eating too fast and not chewing well enough. So the past week or 2 I have really concentrated on eating very slowly, taking a minute to rest and see if I feel like I can eat another bite and it turns out it's working. I also found out I can eat chicken or a potato. I just have to really take my time. So now that I've figured that out I think I do need a slight fill come April because I can eat 1-2 cups per meal and I think it's supposed to be half of that. I hope I can lose something before that time.

Niecey

Edited by Niecey

Amazing how we "forget" to chew and portion size.

Getting fills is important. After I was stuck I went on liquids. I guess my tummy is still swollen and I feel restriction now! I think I need a fill. I would like to be like I am now. I am doing great, but the Dr who does the fills is very conservative. Maybe I will open my mouth next time and speak up.

Take Care Deb

Amazing how we "forget" to chew and portion size.

Getting fills is important. After I was stuck I went on liquids. I guess my tummy is still swollen and I feel restriction now! I think I need a fill. I would like to be like I am now. I am doing great, but the Dr who does the fills is very conservative. Maybe I will open my mouth next time and speak up.

Take Care Deb

Only 31 pounds more to go that is great. Great job.

Denise

Hi September 16th Banders! We are really close to our one year anniversary. I went this morning to get my labs drawn. I have my one year appointment on September 14. I really haven't lost much more weight since last time I checked in. I am still over 20 pounds which is pretty frustrating. I would love to be under 200 by my appointment but I'm not sure that will happen. I have three weeks to lose 8 pounds. I would probably have to go on all liquids from now until then and exercise an hour every day to even come close. I have had a few more sliming incidents. It seems like chicken or fish is what does it. I have to be so careful about chewing my food up well and eating slower. I still eat too many calories. I have southern roots and fried food is still my favorite. I have been trying to eat low carb, but then yesterday, we went to Perkins and I ate part of a muffin.

I was in my girlfriend's wedding on August 8. My dress was a size 18 and I had to have it taken in. I have been able to buy regular size clothes which is nice, but I also have size 16W and 14W clothes. My biggest issue is my stomach. I was down to a size 12 in 2001 and loved being that size. I would really like to be size 10 and stay there.

I start an exercise competition on September 14 and it goes through Thanksgiving. We are on teams and I will have to do 6 hours of cardio and two classes a week to meet my commitment to the team. That translates to a whole lot of exercise. I have been trying to ease into it but last week was a challenge. I have been staying late at work and really don't feel like working out after working ten hours. This week, I am committing myself to doing two classes (Turbo Kick) and doing three hours of cardio.

I am going to keep it up. I still have no regrets about having the surgery because I know that I could not have made it to this point without the surgery. I just want to get to my goal and really thought I would be there or close by now. It is my own fault though. For now, I want to be under 190 by Christmas.

How is everyone else doing? Terrilyn, I saw your pictures. You are doing great! Keep it up! Stay encouraged! We will do this!

Thanks K. You are doing great! I can't believe the amount of exercise you're doing. You make me look like a couch potato. I still have that tendency.

I'm averaging around 228 this week. I had gotten down to 221 and gained a bunch back when my band was emptied. I wish I could get back there. This morning I hit 227, but most days this week it has said 228. I started metformin again, because my sugars are going up. Not sure if my body is just giving me crap or am I doing something not right. So I gave in and went to the dr. Metformin has always worked as much as an appetite suppressant, so I'm sad, but not terribly. Maybe I can start loosing again. Inches wise I loose, but the scale stays the same. I'm about to take my measurements for this month. I haven't yet, and I've tried to do it the 16th of the month, each month. I don't expect a big difference this month.

Teri

Just a thought... If anyone is still around... can we do a what are you eating? What are you not eating type thread here?

Teri