Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dealing with the Pre-OP.....

Hello All,

This is my first post. I'm scheduled to be banded on Tuesday, 23 Sept. I started the pre-op liquid diet earlier this week and it is really tough! I've never been able to stick to a liquid diet in the past and now is no different. Is there any technique or strategy that might make the next eleven days a little easier?

I know this is the right decision but, unlike others, my approval came pretty quickly so it's taking a while to sink in. Eating is a very social event in my life so I really need someone to tell me that it won't disappear! That it will just be a little 'different'.

On a side note, I've been reading this website for a while now and really appreciate everyone's insight and comments. Well done! :lol:

Just hang in there. You don't want to wake up in recovery (like I did) and find out your doc couldn't place the band because your liver is too fatty! THAT provides a good degree of motivation, let me tell you! Learn from my silly mistake! AND postop you MUST do liquids if your surgeon directs to allow your sutured band to heal (the tummy churns when you digest anything that isn't liquid)

It's worth it though. You can do it!

Hi - Reading your note sounds similar to my story. I am being banded on 9/24. I do not start my liquid diet until 9/17 but am already worried about it since I struggle staying on track. I'm hoping your post will get many ideas for us to use.

My BMI is similar to yours and it will be interesting to watch our progress and stay in touch over the upcoming months.

Take Care and good luck.

You need to follow the diet...if you don't how will you be able to do it again post-op? You can do it...it does get easier

This sounds very familiar! The preop diet gets easier actually after the 3rd day. You will be so proud of yourself. I really worry about the social aspects of eating, but I hope as my health improves, Ican focus on that.

ReadyinCT and 4Emma&Erick....I too am having difficulty sticking to the pre-op diet! I dont even have to do full liquids and I can't seem to make it longer than a day. My surgery is the 24th also and so far I completely suck..If I dont start this like asap I might very well not get banded the day I go in due to a fatty liver. I need someone to kick my butt in gear...I hate the idea that I've come this far and I haven't been able to make it a priority the past 2 days which is when I was supposed to start the pre-op. UGH...:)

Jamimagine as far as I know they can't really tell your liver is too fatty until they open you up. At least that happened to me. I can't tell you the awful sinking feeling to be told in recovery "Honey they couldn't place the band. Your liver was too big". OMG it was awful. To go thru the surgery and ...nothing! then you get to blow it off or diet the RIGHT WAY and do it again! You don't want to do that. Stick to the diet.

ReadyinCt.....I totally know what you are going thru...my surgery date is 9/18 and I have been drinking the shakes but I cooking for my family is sooo hard. I've cheated. And to make matters worse I've agreed to have lunch with a client next week. I'm hoping that if I eat Protein only, it will be forgiven. But the doc said if I didn't lose weight before the surgery I'd have to reschedule. I've lost about 18 from 286 to 278...

Together we can do this!!! I have a preop appointment on 9/17, my daughters 11th birthday. Which she wants to have a slumber party that Friday. I don't want this surgery to have any affect on her, so I'm actually going with the slumber party idea. Movie, popcorn and whatever meal I can have delivered...sound like fun?

I started at 253 and I only had 6 days to pre-op diet. I lost 6 pounds and everything went fine...I drank 3-4 EAS AdvantEDGE drinks and then one 300-400 calorie Lean Cuisine...and lots and lots of water!!!! Don't cheat...if you cheat now...you might end up cheating on your post op liquid diet and you really don't want to do that. Stay strong...we've all been there. It does get easier around the 3rd or 4th day...stick to it...it is so so worth it!! Good luck!

Thanks, Everyone! The encouragement helps a lot. Reading the messages and other threads provides the incentive I need. I've waited over 30 years to be thin[ner] and healthy so a few more weeks of stuggling has got to be worth it!

Cheers! :) [well, almost....]

I am on day 3 all liquid, I am lucky that I only have to do it till tuesday, surgery tuesday am. I am having trouble with nausea and dizziness, anyone experience this?? and have not cheated once !!!

Yeah for Me!!!

My Dr. does the Medifast diet exclusively and has been very successful with completing surgeries on patients who stuck with it. I deviated a little with skinless boneless chicken breast, lf cottage cheese and some veggies no butter and my surgery was done in 15 minutes and considered to be very successful. You may try medifast: Medifast Official Site | Quick, Easy Clinically Proven Weight Loss You will however need to do clear liquid post-op for up to 48 hours. Good luck.

Hello All,

This is my first post. I'm scheduled to be banded on Tuesday, 23 Sept. I started the pre-op liquid diet earlier this week and it is really tough! I've never been able to stick to a liquid diet in the past and now is no different. Is there any technique or strategy that might make the next eleven days a little easier?

I know this is the right decision but, unlike others, my approval came pretty quickly so it's taking a while to sink in. Eating is a very social event in my life so I really need someone to tell me that it won't disappear! That it will just be a little 'different'.

On a side note, I've been reading this website for a while now and really appreciate everyone's insight and comments. Well done! :)

DAY3 OF PRE OP LIQIUD DIET AND I FEEL LIKE CRAP. Feeling nausea, very tired just oevrall ICKEY!!! Does this get better or do I just have to deal with it?

Chacha...both your answers are "yes" :wink_smile:

hang in there it's worth it

Chacha...both your answers are "yes" :thumbup:

hang in there it's worth it

Seconding RM!!:wink_smile::thumbs_up: