Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Narrowminded Coworkers

My co-workers are getting increasingly insensitive about bariatric surgery. The worst part of it is that I actually work in a hospital on the unit where the bariatric patients come post-op. About 98% of the surgeries are Gastric Bypasses, 2% Gastric Sleeve and we just started doing bands.

None of the comments are directed at me personally, but it really makes me mad because they have no idea what it's like to be obese. The most common comment is, "have these people really tried to lose weight?" One girl last night said "I would go to the gym, hire a trainer and pay someone to cook for me before I'd consder surgery." And my favorite: "they can do it on The Biggest Loser."

I've given up on saying anything because it just falls of deaf ears. If they knew what it was like to be overweight since the age of 8! The social rejection, the inability to participate in activities and being rejected for employment. Heap on top of that the myriad of health problems that would probably bring them to their knees. Have they ever read the studies about weight loss in obese individuals. The statistics are bleak--even the best trainer and the best chef would hard-pressed to make long-term headway against obesity.

These people are well aware of my surgery. How on god's green earth do they think I can comisserate with their narrowmindedness. Appently I've commited some henious offense against society again; first being obese and second trying to do something about it.

I'm just really getting mad about this. These people are there to care for patients, not to undermine the intense preparation patients need to take to have the surgery and the hard work they will have to put in after. Perhaps I need to tell my boss that it's time for another sensitivity training session.

Perhaps I need to tell my boss that it's time for another sensitivity training session

You said it!

That sucks! I work in a unit where we get morbidly obese patients from nursing homes that end up very ill. Currently one gal has been there 45 days ( she weighed 500+) and is complete care, on the vent and everything, she is completely helpless. You can imagine what my co-workers have to say about that, day after day after day... at least the patients that have the surgery don't need total care for the most part.

Maybe there could be an educational piece for your unit to do, I even hear things like this with our suicidal patients, drug overdoses etc... I think people get tired of seeing people not help themselves and be there own worst enemy, but actually having the WLS is someone finally taking steps to help themselves, and maybe that's not how your co-workers see it. They view it as an easy way out and it is anything but!!!

Well said i don't work in a hospital but i know how you feel. That's why only a few people know i had the lapband surgery. I have heard a lot of neg comments on the Lapband. Like thay just don't try to lose weight . Or one of my friends knows someone who had the lapband and every thime she saids something about her it's the fat BI--H that had lapband surgery. So i choice not to tell her about mine. I am roud of anyone that goes though the surgery . Just try to over look the stupid people . Good luck lynnlynn

Intolerance is just another form of ignorance. As with so many things in life, if you really haven't experienced it, you don't understand it. Try to have compassion for your co-workers that live in their small little world. Your anger doesn't do anything to them and it only makes you feel worse.

You are doing so great, just be the change you want to see in the world and remember the best teachers teach by example.

Good luck as you journey to the beautiful, healthy new you!

Sally

My coworkers, at least to my face, have been pretty decent. Today, we were talking about things I have had to give up (like soda). She said it would be too hard for her to give things up. I said that sometimes it is hard, but reminded her that being fat is hard.

Sensitivity training is indeed called for. That, or disciplinary action.

This is just so wrong.

While they may have opinions, they are in the health care field which is supposed to be helpful not judgemental. Regardless of whether they think patients or their families can hear or not, on the job they should keep their stupid opinions to themselves.

I agree that sensitivity training is definately called for. If they are voicing these opinions out loud, what is their thought process doing regarding the standard of care they offer patients?

If you think those negative thoughts long enough, they are going to start affecting your actions - perhaps not immediately, but if they don't change, it will. The next thing that might happen is they let some snide comment slip when caring for a patient they believe to be asleep, and then the lawsuits begin...

Catch them now before it gets worse...:unsure:

I agree with Ebonyrose, This is a lawsuit waiting to happen. It is the same intolerance that is shown to blacks, hispanics, gays or anyone else that is seen as different. As soon as they themselves experience it or know someone who has experienced it they may change their minds or not. My best friend never asks me about the surgery, talks about the surgery or mentions it. If I mention it there is absolutely NO response. I am sure she thinks I took the easy road even though she knows I have struggled with this for 15 years. People have a variety of reasons for being judgemental. I think it is time for a really good sensitivity training session where people come clean about their anger. Do AIDS patients deserve it because they practiced unsafe sex?

I worked in a hospital for about 4 years and I know exactly what you're talking about. Although I wasn't in the bariatric field the things that come out of their mouths it utterly ridiculous. They should be trained professional but yet they talk like school yard children.

I am very sorry that they do this in front of you. WLS of any kind is an emotional rollercoaster and their comments really do not help. I would probably suggest more sensitivity training and going over the employee manual again... specifically the part of professionalism.